PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Solvang Century

Jeff N.
03-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Two more weeks! Anybody here going? Just curious. Its the one Century I NEVER miss. Simply wonderful. Jeff N.

arsegas
03-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Jeff,

I won't be able to make it this year, but I have heard great things about this century. I'm curious what's particularly special about this century? Is it the route/terrain, the views, quality of the support/events, or something else?

On a separate note, I wonder if Solvang is seeing an uptick in tourism due to the movie Sideways, similar to the the surge in popularity of Pinot Noir and the Santa Barbara wine region...

- Eric

Jeff N.
03-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Eric, its all of the above. Just a great ride. I sure hope the rain stays away though. Last year it was gorgeous. Jeff N.

bcm119
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Its killing me to miss it this year, but moving to oregon has made it tough to get to... I considered coming down for it but its not going to happen this year.

Its a spectacular century. To those going, have a blast, I'll be there in spirit.

As for Sideways, I've heard that the Hitchin' post is having trouble keeping their Pinot on the shelf. Funny what a movie can do for a little place like that...I never thought their Pinot was anything special...for a taste of how good Santa Barbara Pinot Noir can be, try the Byron!

Jack Brunk
03-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Jeff,

I know that Tom Byrnes,Bob, Mavic1010 and myself will be attending. It's a great ride every year but we'll see how good it is after a double century this weekend in Death Valley for me. We'll have to hook up and do a group ride during the century.

Jack

Climb01742
03-02-2005, 04:36 AM
when is the solvang century? i'll be in santa barbara on vacation with the family march 19-25, then LA for a few days. if our schedules overlap, it would be very nice just to meet you guys and offer a little moral support. :beer:

OldDog
03-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Dang. I'm jealous. 9 inches of snow yesterday. Another inch today. I'd be happy to get out and do 25. With 4 rest stops.

Have fun.

Serotta PETE
03-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Have my ticket,reservations, etc but now am unable to go. It is really huritng not to go but.....

Have fun and I will be anxious to here the stories.

Pete

Jeff N.
03-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Climb: Its Sat. Mar 12th. Solvang is just up the road north from Santa Barbara, about 40 miles or so up Hwy 101. You can't miss the exit. I'm staying at the Royal Scandinavian Inn, right where the ride starts and ends, at the far end of town, on Alisal St. I think. Theres always a big party/ BBQ afterwards, with local( Firestone Brewing Co.) draft lagers and ales on tap! I'll be wearing my R-2-R club jersey ( see R-2-R.org)this year, and riding my Moots Vamoots. If you spot me, give a yell. I'm good for a round. :beer: PS: Jack Brunk, you're a maniac! I could NEVER survive that double! Good luck,man! Jeff N.

Tom Byrnes
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Jeff,

As Jack said, Bob, Mavic, Jack and I will be there. Both Bob and Jack will also have some friends of theirs riding with us, also. SoCal Steve is leading a Team in Training group of riders.

I will be riding my Ottrott and wearing a LaGrange jersey. Hopefully, we can hook up.

Tom

SoCalSteve
03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I'll be riding my Seven Axiom and will be in a TNT Coaches jersey. Please come introduce yourselves if you see me. The TNT presence is huge at Solvang, so keep your eyes peeled for a 6'5" guy riding a very tall and long Ti bike.

One of the many reasons the Solvang Century is so popular is because it is so incredibly beautiful! Also, there is about 5100' of elevation gain over 100 miles so it is quite chaallenging.

I have been training 20 participants for the last 4 months for this event and we have done nothing but climb hills, hills, hills from Malibu to Palos Verdes....

I look forward to the ride, meeting all of you and having this long and wet training season being over.

Steve

Jeff N.
03-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Terrific! I'll keep my eyes peeled. I, and my R-2-R group , will be starting the ride, after a little breakfast in the restaurant next to the Royal Scandinavian Inn, at 6:30AM promptly. I like to get out there early, the point being, the sooner I start, the sooner I finish! See ya! Jeff N.

Jeff N.
03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
GREAT RIDE! Knocked it out, start to finish, in 5:45....my personal best for that Century. Sorry I missed you guys. Jeff N.

SoCalSteve
03-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Ok, so I'm the coach, right? Nothing is supposed to go wrong, right? Mile 53, PING, broken spoke on my "BombProof" Rolf Vector Pro's. I get SAGed in by Team in Training staff.

Best part of the ride was that I got to see all my Participants come through the finish line with big, proud smiles on their faces! Make it all worth while.

So, I guess everything in life eventually wears out, huh? I am still deciding whether to replace all the spokes on the rear wheel or just the one and put them on ebay.

I did learn a BIG valueable lesson, on rides like these. 32 spoke wheels. Break one, you can either have it fixed pretty easily at a SAG stop or just ride with it.

Any opinions on older Vector Pro's??? They have been the "bomb" right up until mile 52.9...

Thanks,

Steve

dave thompson
03-13-2005, 11:42 PM
I always thought of Pros being a wheel for somewhat of a lighter guy. Before they went out of production I was around 190 and wouldn't even look at them.

Jeff N.
03-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I remember a Rolf rep at a bike shop once who put a Vector Pro on a car tire and then bounced up and down on the wheel(like a trampoline) to demonstrate their strength, then spun it, showing it haden't lost its true.But those ARE rather old wheels so maybe you were just due for a broken spoke. Whadda drag. Jeff N.

Kurt
03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Ok, so I'm the coach, right? Nothing is supposed to go wrong, right? Mile 53, PING, broken spoke on my "BombProof" Rolf Vector Pro's. I get SAGed in by Team in Training staff.

Best part of the ride was that I got to see all my Participants come through the finish line with big, proud smiles on their faces! Make it all worth while.

So, I guess everything in life eventually wears out, huh? I am still deciding whether to replace all the spokes on the rear wheel or just the one and put them on ebay.

I did learn a BIG valueable lesson, on rides like these. 32 spoke wheels. Break one, you can either have it fixed pretty easily at a SAG stop or just ride with it.

Any opinions on older Vector Pro's??? They have been the "bomb" right up until mile 52.9...

Thanks,

Steve

and I did nothing but break spokes and hubs - part of the prob is the nips are hidden and can corrode - want some good wheels - see the oddsandendros post that just started

Kurt
03-14-2005, 11:17 AM
GREAT RIDE! Knocked it out, start to finish, in 5:45....my personal best for that Century. Sorry I missed you guys. Jeff N.

both are good numbers, but to hit that et you would have to blow every stop, did you?

Jeff N.
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
both are good numbers, but to hit that et you would have to blow every stop, did you?Thats total time from leaving the hotel start to crossing it at the finish. We only stopped at Santa Maria and the very last rest stop before "The Wall", and even then for just a few minutes to refill bottles and take a leak. We blew the rest. I talked to some guys that did it in under 5! Smokin'! Jeff N.

Kurt
03-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Thats total time from leaving the hotel start to crossing it at the finish. We only stopped at Santa Maria and the very last rest stop before "The Wall", and even then for just a few minutes to refill bottles and take a leak. We blew the rest. I talked to some guys that did it in under 5! Smokin'! Jeff N.

I just looked at my notes from a few years ago - I did 5:20 saddle time, and 20 minutes for stops so we are about the same - this type of clip is not too fast or slow, good speed to still enjoy the surroundings - I don't know about you, but after 5 hours I am ready to get off that bike. I just crash the ride usually unless they are going through the base as I bring my own food and water – 6 gu’s and a luna bar and I am good to go