View Full Version : Ways to keep your noggin warm in winter

NHAero
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I've been riding with a lightweight knit hat under my old Bell Helmet
in the winter. No wind protection. Thinking about helmet covers vs a
windproof skullcap hat inside the helmet. I could easily tape the vent
slots closed as a first step. I'm talking about temps down to say,
15F. Also, has anyone made (or found one to buy) a faceshield that is
part of the helmet, vs goggles and a facemask?

Thanks!

Marc

RADaines
01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.sweatvac.com/

60/40 Beanie or Winter Beanie depending on temp. Very comfortable, very effective and fit nicely under helmets.

Karin Kirk
01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
After repeated frost-nip on my nose and cheeks while skiing, I made a shield out of a sheet of flexible foam found at a craft store. It has long sides that I can tuck into my helmet. The top of it tucks into my goggles and the bottom extends down just past my nose.

It looks very Darth Vader, but it works perfectly, allowing free breathing since it doesn't cover my mouth.

Sandy
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
How about a thin balaclava? Your helmet could be easily adjusted to fit and the balaclava does wonders in keeping head and face warm.

Sandy

jblande
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
craft is the way to go. windstopper balaclava or just beanie. compared to many items, reasonably priced.

NHAero
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
What do you mean by craft?
Thanks
craft is the way to go. windstopper balaclava or just beanie. compared to many items, reasonably priced.

Z3c
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Craft is a brand of clothing and accessories..

I solved my cold weather gear issues by moving to Tucson..

Blue Jays
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Craft U.S.A. website (http://www.craft-usa.com/)

Karin Kirk
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
How about a thin balaclava? Your helmet could be easily adjusted to fit and the balaclava does wonders in keeping head and face warm.

Balaclavas tend to cover the mouth and leave the nose exposed. I was looking to do the opposite. I do also wear a thin Patagonia beanie under my helmet (same beanie for both skiing and riding) which is essential.

On most days, I also add a lipstick pink silk scarf which adds a touch of warmth and coziness and much flair to my ski school uniform. It looks darling with my bright pink, rhinestone-studded goggles. :)

xjoex
01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I wear a wool cap from smart wool and usually wear a fleece neck gator. It allows me to cover my nose on the downhills and pull it down to breath on the uphills.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/S0UHS17gP8I/AAAAAAAACU8/Ak43YqV-2I4/s512/100_5541.JPG

But when its really cold I have a bell metro helmet with ear warmers, helmet cover and vent covers, with a cannondale balaclava that has a nose cover.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/S0UGhqpMc4I/AAAAAAAACUs/702sA1ENvKU/s512/100_5547.JPG

-Joe

eddief
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
probably not for super cold, but a neat idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270483246981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Peter P.
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Down to 20 degrees, I wear a balaclava. Some models either don't cover the mouth/nose or are stretchy enough to pull under the chin. Simple, medium weight polypro works for me. Most helmet beanies just don't cover the ears and lower head areas as sufficiently as a balaclava. Some balaclavas are stretchy enough that, when desired, they can be worn as neck gaiters. Full fleece balaclavas would be too warm for me.

Some people complain the balaclava doesn't fit under their helmet. I suggest either buying a larger helmet or just removing your helmet pads during the winter.

Below 20, I add a helmet cover. The only difference between a helmet cover and taping the vents off is convenience. I had great experience taping the vents off with duct tape; you can control the amount of warmth by the number and location of the affected vents. What worked for me is to tape closed only the forward facing vents. Only inconvenience was cleaning off any tape residue in the spring. WD-40 usually worked fine.

I've never investigated a shield but I know of some people that had good experience wearing ski goggles, vs. cycling glasses.

NHAero
01-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Lots of good ideas. I have a bunch of stuff I used in winter mountaineering that I will paw through and see how applicable it can be to biking. I do have a couple of different weight balaclavas and also a neck gaiter, and I have winter snow goggles. That and some duct tape over the vents...or a helmet cover. Who makes a good one?

Thanks!

CNY rider
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Lots of good ideas. I have a bunch of stuff I used in winter mountaineering that I will paw through and see how applicable it can be to biking. I do have a couple of different weight balaclavas and also a neck gaiter, and I have winter snow goggles. That and some duct tape over the vents...or a helmet cover. Who makes a good one?

Thanks!

Do you downhill ski?
Do you have a helmet and goggles?
I just rode home from work with the air temp 9F.
Ski helmet and goggles work great; then use something like a neck gaiter to cover the rest of your face below the goggles.

John M
01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Under the helmet, I wear a lycra skull cap that was marketed to wear under a ski helmet. Thin and works well and doesn't cover the face like a balaclava. These are available in wool or fleece, if you need more warmth. Over the helmet, I use a Gore-tex helmet cover to cover the vents and to keep rain/snow/wind out.

For the real cold days, I use a full fleece balaclava.

RADaines
01-14-2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.sweatvac.com/

60/40 Beanie or Winter Beanie depending on temp. Very comfortable, very effective and fit nicely under helmets.

If anyone is interested in trying their products, you can get 20% off by using the code FIT20 at checkout. This will probably be good through the weekend.

You can also select free shipping. I have been very happy with their stuff.

mo3039
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
If you're still thinking about helmet covers, I wear a Sugoi that fits my Bell Sweep (pointy road helmet) and other helmet well and does a good job cutting the wind and adding a bunch of degrees to my comfort level. Only thing is that it's black, with just a few patches of reflective stuff. If I had to do it again I'd buy the neon yellow one -- in the winter I just want to have as much visibility as I can, day or night. There's a less expensive Louis Garneau one that also comes in both colors -- perhaps not as waterproof?

I'm also a fan of fewer vents in the winter (I commute winter-long, and even when it's super cold am not willing to go sans helmet.) I bought the cheapest Bell that fit on sale one winter and the relative lack of venting is a plus, even with the cover. I'd even try the skate/BMX style next time.

I find with a helmet cover AND skullcap (+ neck gaiter on the low temp end) I'm good down to around 15. Lower than that and I go with the helmet cover and a surprisingly great Turtle Fur Maskot - which is a windproof balaclava/facemask/neck gaiter combo that works really well in the single digits and is compatible with the snow goggles I find necessary in those low temps. Good luck staying cozy!