PDA

View Full Version : Ti Road Stems

quattro
03-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm looking for a Ti road stem and was wondering what Ti road stems people on the forum ride. I have seen the Seven, Real Design and Moots. All three are very nice, any opinions or others to add to the list? Only requirement is that is made in a 31.8 and has a removable fron face plate.

Jeff N.
03-01-2005, 07:59 PM
The Seven's are very, very nice. At $350 a pop, they'd dang well better be! Jeff N.

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Probably a sill question but why Ti?

Jack Brunk
03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Seven's stems only come in 25.4 and 26.0 mm clamp diameters. No oversize stems as of yet.

Jack

zap
03-02-2005, 11:00 AM
If you really want ti, go with Moots.

Marron
03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Ti-Cycles here in Seattle makes customs and a full range of stock Ti Stems. I used one in the mid 90s and found it stiff enough. I think their prices are cheaper than Seven or Moots.

quattro
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I have a Seven Ti stem on my IF Crown Jewel Ti frame and like it very much. I'm looking for a stem for my Parlee carbon fiber frame. I've looked at several carbon fiber stems and am undecided about the longevity of a CF stem with a CF removable cap, I have heard they crack at the bolt holes. So, I have looked at many aluminum stems, some nice ones out then, but I keep coming back to Ti. I really like the Moots Open Road stem, very nice looking. Does anyone ride one? Your impressions? Thanks

Too Tall
03-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Than take a peek at the Look Stem and "look" no more. That is prolly the only CF stem I'd ride.

quattro
03-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I looked at the Look stem and the look doesn't do it for me. It looks like the Look is made of three seperate parts, probably glued together, atleast that is what the Look looks like, do I have the looks of the Look right? Why ride a stem that can fail in more than three places? It just doesn't look like the stem I'm looking for, that Look.

zap
03-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Quattro, I agree. Looks like Look didn't look to close at the potential of a carbon stem. It does look like you have the looks of the Look stem right.

The Time carbon stem has impressed with several fine details and its light weight. It's also stiffer than any sub 150 gram al noodle. But you have to have a big tubed bike so that it "looks" right.

NateM
03-05-2005, 03:13 PM
I know you asked about Ti...veering a little,check out the Zipp stem.Hardly a minimalist design but looks like you could trust it.

Jeff N.
03-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Theres that word again....Zipp. Don't get me started on that carbon crankset they had out several years back. GARBAGE of an unprecedented scope. It has soured me on anything ZIPP since. Instead check out the ITM Forged Lite Carbon Super Over stem (cycling@glorycycles.com). I've seen one, and they're superb. I have the all-aluminum version. Super stiff and bomb proof. Jeff N.

zap
03-05-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering, is the new Zipp stem the same as the Bontrager xxx carbon stem. Haven't seen them side by side, but I took a quick look at the zipp web site and it sure looks close to that Bontrager design.

Jeff, those early Zipp cranks were pretty bad. So I guess your not going for the new, lite, super duper high-tech Zipp carbon cranks :rolleyes:

Jeff N.
03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm wondering, is the new Zipp stem the same as the Bontrager xxx carbon stem. Haven't seen them side by side, but I took a quick look at the zipp web site and it sure looks close to that Bontrager design.

Jeff, those early Zipp cranks were pretty bad. So I guess your not going for the new, lite, super duper high-tech Zipp carbon cranks :rolleyes:Yea, I saw those. No way in he**. With so much other wonderful stuff available from so many other great companies... That Zipp is still in business has me flummoxed, considering they've produced such forgettable products over the years. Jeff N.

quattro
03-05-2005, 04:22 PM
O.K., looking at different stem material, how about the Thomson X2, anyone have one yet? For an aluminum stem it sure "looks" like they did it right! That is one stem that is not Ti that I would consider. How about the FSA K-Force carbon stem or the FSA OS-115, anyone riding either, other suggestions?