PDA

View Full Version : Bare Ti or Painted Ti

Ozz
03-01-2005, 03:04 PM
What do you guys like?

I am thinking about a "rain bike", actually, a bike that won't rust....

I like the matt finish with polished decals....but solid white with a polished rear triangle is awfully pretty.

I've been drooling over the Hampstens, when I realized that a Concors is pretty much the same price, and includes custom geometry and more paint/decal options...

Whattayall think?

duke
03-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Bare Ti. Maintenance Free! No Scratches Ever!

zap
03-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Go naked. Thats what my rain/winter bike is. No worries about scuffed paint due to all the winter related crap thats put on the road. You also don't have to worry about peeling paint when removing dried critter parts. Not to mention energy drink drool.

JohnS
03-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I have a Concours with panels. That way it's more distinctive than a naked bike but there's not large areas of paint to chip.

davids
03-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Both. I want a half-and-half finish. Keep the bare Ti around the bottom bracket, chainstays and rear dropouts. Paint most of the downtube and seattube, all of the toptube and headtube, and the top half of the seatstays.

The only question is - What color? White, baby blue, or deep orange? Fortunately, I've got a year to make up my mind... Not to mention choose the bike!

Kirk Pacenti
03-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Dekonick
03-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Have it cromed. :)

Kevan
03-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Ti-dyed. :cool:

DfCas
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
silver gray...

RichMc
03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
If there is any part of you that likes a little "flash" on your bike then by all means get some or all of it painted. If you like your bike to be coloful and you go with just the bare Ti, polished or not, then you will later regret not having it painted. The fact that you are even thinking about paint suggests to me that you'd like some color. Go for it. However little or however much you want. Damn the maintenance. Your bike should always stir your soul when you look at it. :banana:

dirtdigger88
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
bare ti- but I am partial- I like em nude ;)

Jason

coylifut
03-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Bare Ti looks like my stainless steel refrigerator after my girls have worked it over. Dull and full of finger prints. Paint some of it and clear coat the rest of it. That way, when you hose it down, the crud runs right off and shines up nicely.

Jeff N.
03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Bare Ti, but paint the fork to match the decals. Jeff N.

cycleman_21
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
A rain bike,hmmm,unfinnished Ti seems the obvious,
but if I could afford it,I'm partial to the darker green scheem
with a fade.Sounds like your gonna have some fun trying to decide.
good luck
:banana:

Too Tall
03-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Coals to Newcastle. I've got a polished Legend with Matt Logo downtube only and metal headbadge. Looks better after 4 yrs. of daily beatings :)

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2005, 06:53 PM
1/2 matte 1/2 polish. Serotta in reverse matte. Add panels for color.

small Serotta on downtube, S on seatube, nothing on chain stays.

OR ......

1/2 paint 1/2 polish NO more then 1/2 paint if it is a beater.

The Ti on the base cleans up real easily.

Climb01742
03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
for the purpose, naked ti.

pale scotsman
03-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Bare Ti here too so I guess I'm boring. ;) I've got the half matte/ half polished finish on my '02 Legend and the damn thing still looks new. Pledge and a good microfiber cloth will clean it up, and if you get any scratches the scotchbrite kitchen sponge will clean up the polished part.

One note though; the matte finish can get scratched but it's nowhere near as delicate as paint.

dirtdigger88
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
perfect reason for bare ti- I just finished an hour on the rollers- so I am getting kinda good on them- I decide to see how fast I can spin a 53x11 for two minutes- somewhere along 1:30 I must of hit a pot hole or RR tracks because I ended up on my side on top of the rollers :crap: - Just a minor scratch in the ti along the seat tube- that would have been down to bare metal on a painted bike for sure- just thinking of your best interest here

Jason

pale scotsman
03-01-2005, 08:13 PM
perfect reason for bare ti- I just finished an hour on the rollers- so I am getting kinda good on them- I decide to see how fast I can spin a 53x11 for two minutes- somewhere along 1:30 I must of hit a pot hole or RR tracks because I ended up on my side on top of the rollers :crap: - Just a minor scratch in the ti along the seat tube- that would have been down to bare metal on a painted bike for sure- just thinking of your best interest here

Jason

What'd you do, take you hands off the handlebars @ 50 again? ;)

Wayne77
03-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Paint the whole thing! Raw Ti is sooooo boring!

my $0.02.

My sentiments as well. Bare ti doesn't do much for me - looks too much like all the other bare ti bikes out there. A few of them are nice though, like the full polished Legends with reverse decals.

I'd just get it painted - then you'll have an excuse to get a nice JB or Spectrum repaint in 10 years :D :D

tch
03-01-2005, 08:40 PM
with my bare, brushed ti bike. Sure I lust after some beautifully painted bikes, but in the 4 years I've owned my neutral, tool-like machine, I've changed my mind at least six times over what I would paint a bike. In the end, it's a machine. Love the efficiency, ease, and low-key attitude of bare metal.

Wayne77
03-01-2005, 08:54 PM
with my bare, brushed ti bike. Sure I lust after some beautifully painted bikes, but in the 4 years I've owned my neutral, tool-like machine, I've changed my mind at least six times over what I would paint a bike. In the end, it's a machine. Love the efficiency, ease, and low-key attitude of bare metal.

Good point. I've gone from silver to cobalt to sunset to arctic blue, back to sunset to slate to frost white and back to arctic blue. And I don't even have my frame yet! :crap:

I wonder if they make some of that temp sensitive paint for bikes? It would be great to have a bike that was a cool metalic blue on hot and sweaty days and a warm fiery orange on cold days :cool:

terry b
03-01-2005, 09:01 PM
When faced with the choice between pearl white and brushed satin, I couldn't decide. I recommend both.

Orin
03-01-2005, 11:34 PM
What do you guys like?

I like the matt finish with polished decals....but solid white with a polished rear triangle is awfully pretty.

I've been drooling over the Hampstens, when I realized that a Concors is pretty much the same price, and includes custom geometry and more paint/decal options...

Whattayall think?

Who cares about rust anyway? My rain bike is a steel Rambouillet... with it s tubes filled with LPS3. My nice weather bike is Ti.

Whatever, it makes a tiny bit of sense to go with naked Ti for a rain bike. Then ride the darn thing and stick it in the garage when it's all wet and dirty. Wash it when the dirt threatens to get structural. Keep the summer bike in the living room for looking at and/or drooling over the paint job.

Orin,
Not so soggy Woodinville... it should be raining, I washed the Rambouillet TWO WEEKS AGO!

Too Tall
03-02-2005, 06:07 AM
True true Orin. Peter Weigle says he drills a 1/4" drain hole in his steel frames BB shell and keeps a really bright colored valve cap stuck in the hole to remind hime to pull it out after riding in the rain. There are many ways to float your boat non?

Dirtdiggindood - man, the avitar is creeping me out....it's not who the avitar is it's got this sinister "is this the face of a serial killer" thing going on....can't get that out of my head. Seriously, don't screw around on rollers if you are working out alone at home. Make the area around your rollers safe eg. no coffee tables etc. to whack. Be reasonable yah nut :)