PDA

View Full Version : winter riding: which smartwool socks?

3cb
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
In going through the winter riding post, several people have recommended smartwool socks. Smartwool makes a lot of socks, which they classify by cushion (and length). I assume heavier cushion = thicker sock = warmer sock. Their thickest cycling-specific socks are medium cushion. They also make heavy and extra heavy cushion socks for trekking and hunting. Are these heavy/extra heavy versions the winter socks foul-weathered forumites are using?

johnnymossville
01-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I have a couple pair of DeFeet Blaze. I think it's their thickest model. They still fit under my Sidi's and cold feet aren't a problem.

Kevan
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
most folk do with what they've got, which means the sock will tend to be light to medium weight. Least that's my situation. Frankly, I tend to use just my cotton crews, but supplement them using chemical toe warmers and balancing a hand warmer on top of the shoe, using neoprene toe warmers to hold them in place. Add zee booties over everything and I can survive a ride.

Taking a different tack, had I bought winter shoes, I might add a scooch more room increasing my shoe size for beefier socks.

Karin Kirk
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
The heavy Smartwool socks are really thick and would not fit in a cycling shoe. I use their liner sock for cold weather cycling. It's very thin but it's tall so I don't get any gap between the top of the sock and the bottom of tights. It does not have any padding.

The light cushion socks are also a favorite for cycling and general wearing around.

kestrel
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I have summer shoes and winter shoes.

The summer shoes are 46's and the winters are 47's.

The 47's fit a pair of DeFeet Blaze or Woolie Boolies just fine.

3cb
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I just won an ebay auction for Northwave Celsius. These boots are on the big side for me, so a larger sock should fit fine.

xjoex
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
This is one of the few times I will say - don't over think this, just wear some nice wool hiking socks.

I wear smartwool, thorlo, whatever is on sale.

-Joe

dekindy
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Thicker is not warmer if you do not have adequate circulation to your feet. My feet were warmer with thin Smartwool socks instead of the thicker, warmer Woolie Boolie that my shoes did not have enough room for.

RADaines
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I use Sidi road shoes (mega width) and I don't have a lot of extra room in them. In the summer I use the Smartwool PhD cycling ultra light mini crew and for winter I use the PhD cycling light mini crew. I can't use anything heavier than the cycling light sock. I love these socks! YMMV

dogdriver
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
SW midcalf hikers with Sidi winter mtb shoes keep me toasty down into the single digits. Below that, I go to the gym, watch movies or drink beer.

markie
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I like the others use the defeet socks. When it is warm I like the wool-eator and when it is cold I like woolie-boolie and the blaze.

I wash them in the machine and drip dry they they last ages and are super comfy.

JeffS
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Defeet wool blaze

I love these socks. I wear ride in them every day and wash them maybe once a week.

sbornia
01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
+1 for the Defeet Wool-eator. I just got a few pairs and am happy so far. Hope they last longer than Smartwool socks, which seem to get holes too quickly given how much they cost.

FWIW, Bikesomewhere.com in Florida has a great selection of socks and good prices.

Blue Jays
01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
My Sidi HydroGTX winter shoes are slightly larger than my Sidi Ergo2 summer shoes.
I use thicker SmartWool medium or heavyweight socks depending on outside temperature. That combination is the Cadillac Coupe DeVille of winter riding!

R2D2
01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
My Sidi HydroGTX winter shoes are slightly larger than my Sidi Ergo2 summer shoes.
I use thicker SmartWool medium or heavyweight socks depending on outside temperature. That combination is the Cadillac Coupe DeVille of winter riding!

+1

Liberace
01-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Teko socks are solid - tekosocks.com

I use the light hiking model with my Lake boots. www.tekosocks.com/material/merino/tekomerinotm-men-s-light-hiking.html?SID=9af9f3a6a53ed6f7ea9ae7e27d14751b

93legendti
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a couple pair of DeFeet Blaze. I think it's their thickest model. They still fit under my Sidi's and cold feet aren't a problem.
I use the Blaze or these:

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Socks/PerformanceSocks/_/201/

Both fit in my Sidi's and DMT's.

sean
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm a big fan of DeFeet Woolie Boolie. So much that I tend to wear them with my regular shoes on cold days. Comfy and warm. That, and I'm kinda' smitten with the new argyle pattern.