PDA

View Full Version : My new randoneuse

MerckxMad
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
So, as a Christmas present to myself I bought a Kogswell P/R frameset. I spent the next couple of weeks keeping the good folks at VO busy and gainfully employed by buying nearly everything they sell. With the help of Bigman, I cut the steerer at a wicked crooked angle which necessitated a quick run to my LBS at closing time to have it squared off. Anyways, after a number trial fits, tear downs and refits, it's ready to go. Now, I all I need is for Canada to undergo severe global warming and to stop pumping frigid air into the New York area so that I can ride it. Comments on the build (not the garage shop) are welcome.

twin
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Your new ride Lola great.

rcnute
01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Just needs an Ostrich bag!

khjr
01-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Comments on the build (not the garage shop) are welcome.

Details on the components choices? (and basis for choice if interesting)

MMcG
01-06-2010, 07:53 AM

I second that request - give us a rundown of your components (and reasons for choosing) please.

nahtnoj
01-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Now, I all I need is for Canada to undergo severe global warming and to stop pumping frigid air into the New York area so that I can ride it. Comments on the build (not the garage shop) are welcome.

Nice bike, but I thought the purpose of this type of machine was to ride hard in the dead of winter?

:D

MerckxMad
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Okay, here's the kit:

VO saddle
VO seatpost
VO stem
Chris King Devolution headset
Nitto Randoneur bars
VO leather bar wrap
VO fluted fenders (42mm)
VO cages
Nitto M12 rack
VO Roberto cantis (soon to be replaced with Tektro CR720's)
Tektro 520 levers
Shimano DA 9 speed DT shifters (these are getting had to find)
Shimano 105 dearailluers
Shimano Ultegra cassette
KMC chain
Sun CR18 650B rims laced with DT swiss spokes to Shimano Tiagra-level hubs
Panaracer Col de la Vie 38mm tires
Sugino Alpina crank
VO Bottom bracket
Crank Bros Candy pedals
Problem Solvers seatpost collar and various bolts

Not pictured: VO Campaign bag with decaleur, VO stainless waterbottles, and Silca Imperial pump.

The Kogswell came with a 40mm Konverter fork from Paul's (nice folks to deal with). I'm really pleased with the VO kit. It's all shiny, nice quality and fairly priced. The build up was a tedious process because everything had to be fit, adjusted and refit to the frame (i.e., front fender, cantis and rack).

I'm in the process of deciding on a hub generator wheel/light set, but the Sun wheels are surprising light for a $100 set, and I really like my PB Superflash/Magicshine lightset.

The Roberto brakes from VO are what my friend calls "speed adjusters" since they have poor modulation and mechanical advantage. They look sharp though ;-)

Now, if the thermometer would just top the freezing mark, I will send along a ride/rattle report.

MMcG
01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Where'd you score the wheelset for $100?? that's a sweet deal.

MerckxMad
01-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Where'd you score the wheelset for $100?? that's a sweet deal.

On the 'Bay. As I haven't ridden them yet, I can't give an opinion. They are true and spin smoothly. I fugure for a $100 I can't go too wrong.

gemship
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
On the 'Bay. As I haven't ridden them yet, I can't give an opinion. They are true and spin smoothly. I fugure for a $100 I can't go too wrong.

Oh yeah for sure. Last summer I viewed a set of stallion build with ultegra hubs and DT spokes like new for the same price. The good deals are out there.