PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Tubulars!

CJH
03-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi!
Anybody got any good procedures for gluing tubular tires? Or good weblinks where this is explained. I followed this link, http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.21.html
however I don't know if it's the glue I used or the procedure but the imediate adhesion of the tire to the rim when mounting dosen't enable me to adjust the tire on the rim, aligning thread and basetape etc?! I'm sure the procedure I followed gives a very solid mounting of the tire but if it's not seated properly it's kinda' counterproductive???
Thanks!

saab2000
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
For best results tires should be stretched. That has meant for me mounting the tire onto a rim and inflating it for several days before gluing it. This makes it easier.

I put on a plastic bag over my finger and smear a layer of glue on the rim and on the base tape and wait until they can be touched without much sticking to my fingers, then I put it on. For me it has not adhered immediately and so could be lined up fine.

At least that is what works for me. Never rolled one.

Too Tall
03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
CHJ, the link you mentioned has good intentions and it's overkill but they give good advice esp if you are new and don't have someone to guide you.

Stick with a method and adjust as needed. With practice you will come up with something that works. This fellow's method causes excessive shrinkage of the base tape in my experience. You can counter that if you give the tire a very good stretch using your foot and pulling up than a very light final coat on the rim than it will go on like buttah. I believe most folks just do not do a very good job stretching their tires before install...it's that final stretch that really counts for me. If you mount tires with both surfaces flashed eg. dry to the touch than you will infact have a hard time adjusting the tread and (trust me) this depends on the glue you use. Continental ,for instance, will remain pretty sticky for a looong time permitting lots of adjustment. I use Panaracer 'cause it's clear (hides my mistakes) and it has a built in brush. Panaracer is brutal, it sets up fast and has strong fumes. Results are excellent however. According to tests Vittoria is the strongest but I've never used a bad glue...they all work and give me red eyes.

If you can find someone who is an old hand with this. Buy the guy or gal a beer and listen up. Experience is best.

PS - Clinchers blowdeaddkydks

Jeff Weir
03-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Like Saab says stretching is a must...makes installation much easier. Onto a rim, pump up with air ad let it sit for a few days. I usually put 2 layers on the rim (rather than one) and 1 layer on the tubular. In addition to the baggie on the finger trick, another techniques is to put a drop of glue between each spoke hole and use a plumbers brush to spread the glue. I started doing it this way last year and I seem to have more control over how and where the glue goes.
No matter which technique you use, it's a piece of cake. Don't let anybody scare you away from gluing tubulars!

Ozz
03-01-2005, 02:01 PM
do a search on this forum using "tubulars" and "oldman"

The thread that comes up (from 12-13-2003) has a post by forum member "Oldman" that has good step by step instructions....

MartyE
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Back of a spoon is also good for spreading glue.
I bought a pair of undrilled rims from an ex coach
that I use for stretching tires. Pump them up and
let them sit a few days before trying to mount them
really helps.

Marty

flydhest
03-01-2005, 02:06 PM
TooTall (or others),

Is there anything wrong with stretching tubulars on old clincher rims? I have two sets of tubulars and both are mounted with tires. The spares have all been stretched before, but looking forward, if I wanted to strecth a tire now, my choices would be to either take off a current tire, or find a tubular rim somewheres. As it is, I'm lousy with clincher wheelsets.

MartyE
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Flydhest,

I'm not sure here, but I dont think a Clincher rim is going to
do it for you. I don't think the tubular will seat the same
as on a tubular rim.
I found that my LBS had a few old tubular rims in the back that
they are more than happy to get rid of. I'd ask LBS about
getting some rims to use to stretch spare tires etc.
Worst case find the cheapest tubular rim on e-buy.

Marty

coylifut
03-01-2005, 02:51 PM
take to Christoph's garage. He glues all my tubulars.

Too Tall
03-01-2005, 03:41 PM
SuperFly, Nope not a good idea.
Larry at C.P. cycles shold have some junked rims.

zap
03-01-2005, 03:59 PM

...and with fly's reputation spreading fast among area shops, Larry's going to charge him big time. :D

I wish i didn't give away my stretching rim and 4 Conti sprinters......

flydhest
03-01-2005, 04:04 PM

...and with fly's reputation spreading fast among area shops, Larry's going to charge him big time. :D

I wish i didn't give away my stretching rim and 4 Conti sprinters......

LOL