PDA

View Full Version : Triples and STI

gdw
03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I recently was drafted as the mechanic for a group of friends who are training for a long distance charity event. They are all recreational cyclists and mostly riding mid-level bikes equiped with Shimano Tiagra or 105 triples. The course they are riding has a good deal of climbing and they will need all their gears.

My question to the forum is pretty basic. Does mid-level STI work reliably with triple cranks? On their first training ride this past weekend three of the group had major problems shifting their front derailleurs. My initial diagnosis is that the cables are stretched and the bikes need basic tune-ups. I talked to a mechanic at a LBS about the problem and was told that new cables will help but that mid-level STI doesn't work well with triples and to expect more problems. I'm hoping that he's wrong. Does anyone know if he is correct or just blowing smoke?

Serotta PETE
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I rented a Specialized that had 105 triple on it and worked fine for 200 miles and 10 days. The shop was using quite a few of them for rentals and said they had no problems. (This was during the time when DuraAce triple was having lots of problems shifting.

I can tell you that friends have 9 speed Ultegra for years and none of them have had problems beyond cables.

Does not help much,,,hopefully some of the wrenches out there have more specific info.

PETE

Ray
03-01-2005, 12:32 PM
You won't have any more problems with it than with anything else IF you use Shimano's standard chainring combinations, preferably with Shimano rings. If the system is setup for 52-42-30, stick with that and it'll work. I've gotten away with dropping the granny to a 26, but don't even think about going with something like a 24-36-48 on a compact triple or something like that. You might be able to get it to work, but you're gonna have to love to tinker and it'll never be as smooth as you'd like. If standard Shimano gearing is ok for your riders, it'll work.

-Ray

Bradford
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
I've put 3,000 miles on my tandem with 105 levers and FSA cranks and it still shifts fine.

I put up a fight with my stoker about getting Ultegra but lost. After two years, I'm convinced 105 works just fine.

Ken Robb
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I have Ultegra triple that shifts flawlessly no matter what I do. I have a 105 triple that shifts flawlessly as long as I don't put too much pressure on the left shifter when shifting from big to middle. That causes it to hang up between gears. If I apply just enough pressure it goes "click" and right into the middle ring every time. When I do that it works so well that I haven't tried to fool with it.

BarryG
03-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, what's already been said.

Also, be sure to take up any cable slack. It's also been my experience that eventually (10-15K miles or so), the front derailleur springs/bushings wear and the FD should be replaced.

Barry

RichMc
03-01-2005, 02:47 PM
There is a specific cable routing that needs to be followed on the Ultegra triple front derailleur or else the shifting will be horrible. I found this out the hard way. At the derailleur cable clamp there is a small bent over tab that the cable must pass over and then be clamped. When looking at it you would think that the cable should pass underneath the tab. Wrong! No where, in any of the instructions, is it mentioned that the cable passes over the tab. If you enlarge the illustration in the instructions you can just barely make out the routing. Don't know if this applies to the 105's or the Tiagra's. It makes a hell of a difference to the shift on the Ultegra. Improper routing sets up an extremely stiff shift and no ability to make small adjustments while riding.

flydhest
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
triples and STI or three-ways and STDs?

BarryG
03-01-2005, 03:53 PM
There is a specific cable routing that needs to be followed on the Ultegra triple front derailleur or else the shifting will be horrible. I found this out the hard way. At the derailleur cable clamp there is a small bent over tab that the cable must pass over and then be clamped.
Where's this tab whence you speak of? I've got two Ultegra 9 speed triple FD's (FD-6500) and neither have this tab. Perhaps your FD is different vintage? The FD's here have a simple routing - straight up on the inside and runs in a groove inside the clamp, doesn't wrap around, and has a clear picture showing this in the instructions.

Barry

RichMc
03-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Where's this tab whence you speak of? I've got two Ultegra 9 speed triple FD's (FD-6500) and neither have this tab. Perhaps your FD is different vintage? The FD's here have a simple routing - straight up on the inside and runs in a groove inside the clamp, doesn't wrap around, and has a clear picture showing this in the instructions.

Barry

I am, in fact, speaking of a 6500 triple, most likely a 2004 production. This routing is shown in the tech illustration if you look closely. The tab is not present on a double. The tab is also mentioned in a Road Bike Review forum thread. I have set up several front derailleurs and Campy triple fronts without any problems. My local LBS had to sort me out on the Ultegra. It is an amazing difference in shift quality. The bent tab is part of the "washer" that clamps the cable. The routing is simple, over the tab not under. Nothing else is different.

BarryG
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I am, in fact, speaking of a 6500 triple, most likely a 2004 production.
Okay, they must have added it recently - earlier Ultegra 9sp triple FD's just don't have this tab.

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm running a TA 46/36/22 with a Record FD. I'm happy ...

William
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm running a TA 46/36/22 with a Record FD. I'm happy ...

Yup, even worked well when I rode it. ;)

William :)

Vancouverdave
03-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Key item is a crankset where the thickness of the web between chainrings and thus the sideways distance the chain will have to be pushed, is the same as a Shimano crank. Campy, TA, Sugino and FSA all work--there are some cheaper Brand X types of crank which won't. The front derailleur should be chosen based on the middle-to-outer size difference--an Ultegra or 105 will work with a 10 to 12 tooth middle-to-outer difference. With a 130 bolt circle crank, don't go smaller than a 30 tooth small ring unless you want the possibility of the chain being stuck between the outer edge of the small chainring and the open area around the back surface of the crank spider.
I'd say that if you use a triple, long-term happiness is best achieved with bar end shifters or an Ergopower left hand control--no giant bolt of Shimano-compatible lightning will zap you for using one Campy lever and one Shimano!
I don't know why roadies don't get it--I have seen numerous mountain bikes with a Grip Shift for the front derailleur and a Rapid Fire control for the rear.

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't know why roadies don't get it--I have seen numerous mountain bikes with a Grip Shift for the front derailleur and a Rapid Fire control for the rear.

Good Point !!!!

BarryG
03-02-2005, 06:46 AM
I'd say that if you use a triple, long-term happiness is best achieved with bar end shifters or an Ergopower left hand control
Good point. Does anyone happen to know whether the new Ultegra10 triple STI levers will allow more fine tuning of the FD than older STI?

Vancouverdave
03-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Not sure yet. I've worked on some double-ring Shimano 10 bikes, but not on a triple yet.