PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

William
03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm going to lay out a situation that is happening to someone I know very well and I would like your opinions as customers, shop owners, and builders. My "friend" Joe is currently stuck in the middle of a situation between his LBS and a well known builder. Each is basically pointing the finger at the other. Do you see this as the LBS's problem, the builders problem, or shared between them?

"Joe" noticed a bulge in the seat tube of his custom frame and contacted the builder to relay his concerns about it. The bulge lined up with the bottom of the seat post and he wondered if this could be the cause, or if it had been there from the beginning and he just hadn't noticed it right away. "Joe" had a lot of post showing and wondered if it was possible for the leverage caused by his weight might have possibly caused it? "Joe" talked to his contact (through e-mail) at the builders and exchanged much correspondence on the matter. "Joe" was instructed to send the frame, fork, seat post, and saddle to the builder for evaluation/inspection to find out the possible cause and whether it was ok to continue riding. During those conversations, "Joe" decided to have the frame painted while they had it as long as it passed inspection (hence the instruction to include the fork). "Joe" was also instructed to have his LBS send in the frame and parts instead of sending it himself.

"Joe" spent some time to find another frame to build up so he have something to ride before he sent in said frame & parts. He ended up buying a slightly used frame and fork from his LBS and then brought in the bike in question and had them switch all the parts over except the saddle and seat post (which he purchased new ones to put on the temp bike). The LBS was instructed by "Joe" which parts were to go on two separate instances. There was a conversation between the builder contact and the LBS about the shipment. "Joe" was not present during that conversation. The LBS did sit on it for a week or so before sending it out. The frame and (supposedly) the fork, seat post, and saddle were sent around the first or second week of October. On Oct 14, the builder contact told "Joe", "I called **************(LBS)... we are all set to go. I will do a cursory evaluation when the bike comes in and we will go from there." Sometime around the beginning of November "Joe" was contacted and told that the frame was fine, it was basically a cosmetic aspect of the tube, nothing structural. Since "Joe" hadn't decided what color scheme he wanted yet he waited while trying to decide before giving the go ahead. Around Thanksgiving, "Joe" had some personal issues pop up and then a death in the family so he decided he couldn't spend the extra funds for the paint work. He contacted the builder and instructed them to send it back to the LBS. This was right around Thanksgiving.

After Christmas (first week of Jan actually), "Joe" realized he had not heard from his LBS so he gave them a call. They had not received the frame and parts back from the builder yet. On Jan, 10th, "Joe" sent an e-mail to his contact asking where it was? The contact responded, "Oops. Sorry, "Joe". She is still here. I will send it tomorrow." When the box arrived at the LBS, "Joe" was called. The next week "Joe" went down to pick up his frame, fork, seat post, and saddle. When the box was opened right in front of "Joe", the only thing in the box was the frame, nothing else. It was a Saturday so he couldn't contact the builder that day.

Later that afternoon, "Joe" sent an e-mail to his contact explaining that he got the frame and it was fine, but where were the forks, seat post and saddle? The following Monday he got a reply stating that they never received the forks, seat post or saddle. Only the frame.

So, "Joe" has his LBS saying they sent the frame & parts, the builder saying they only received the frame.

A subsequent response from "Joes" builder stated that they have a good tracking system and the point man who opened the box says they weren't there. "Joe" doesn't doubt that they have a system and try to be careful with all frames that come in. In his eyes it's a 50-50 shot. The LBS could have neglected to put them in the box. But the fact that he was instructed to include them from the builder for evaluation purposes and painting, and then the builder never asked where they were if they didn't receive them doesn't add up either. If they didn't need the post & saddle to evaluate (and subsequently pass) the frame, why did they ask for them? If they did need them, which they said they did & asked for, how would *********(master builder) be able to evaluate the problem properly without them? Do you see "Joes" problem here? What they asked for, and what they did don't match up.
Also, when "Joe" was contacted and told that the frame was ok, he was still undecided about the paint. They were waiting for a paint choice and never once mentioned that no fork came in with the frame even though they requested it be sent. At that time they didn't say anything like, "Hey Joe, I didn't get your fork that I asked for, didn't you want that painted too?"
And even with the builders system for keeping track of frames, "Joes" frame lingered in the factory for more than a month after he asked them to send it back. In spite of this, the builder seems to be firm that they weren't lost by them and that they didn't likely receive them.

The LBS is saying they sent them out and can show that the box going out was 3-4 pounds heavier then what came back in from the builder. "Joe" has seen how the LBS packs their boxes, and the box from the builder was opened right in front of him. He's says they were packed almost identically. Not a difference that can explain a 3-4 pound difference.

"Joe" is not saying that the LBS couldn't have messed up. But as the guy in the middle, he's just trying to evaluate all the information he has at his disposal, what makes sense to him, and what doesn't. Right now he's just sitting there with a frame he can't put back together and ride. That certainly wasn't the position he was in when all this started.

William

cdmc
03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Just my thought. It doesn't matter who is responsible. The LBS dissasembled the bike and sent it to the builder, so the parts were there when Joe gave them the bike. As far as who lost the parts it doesn't matter to Joe, the LBS and builder need to work that out between themselves.

A good shop should not have involved the customer, but handled it by contacting the builder and resolving it before it came to the customers attention. They should have called the customer and said, these parts are lost, so we would like to offer your these (equivilant or better) parts to replace the lost ones. If the customer asks who lost the parts, the professional thing to say is "they somehow got lost between the time the bike was dissasembled and now, we are working with the builder to locate them."

flydhest
03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree with cdmc - - are you a hip-hop artist in biking shoes?

Serotta PETE
03-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately these things happen, especially since it sounds like quite a bit of time passed from when the bike was sent to be builder and returned. Things get lost.

I would have to agree with CDMC, unless the shop was doing a favor for the friend and acting as shipper only. Is the shop an authorized dealer for builder? Is the friend a customer of the shop? Theseshould play a role in final outcome.

If an authorized dealer - then shop has the responsibility to get it right with builder. If the friend is a customer of the shop - then the shop as part of onging customer relations should want to make it right.

William
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
"Joe" was in contact with the builder before the LBS was brought into the picture. Basically they were brought in as a staging point at the request of the builder. He has been in contact with both parties during this whole process. He was also there when the box was opened so he knew there was a problem from the start. That didn't give the LBS time to settle it on their own before hand. His LBS has stated that they will cover the problem if they can't resolve it with the builder. That does get him back out on the road, but he now doesn't have the matching fork that was built by the builder. It will likely mean a carbon replacement, unless they can get the builder to custom build another one?
In one respect it was good that the builder did request that the LBS be brought in, he would likely be SOL at this point if they hadn't.

"Joe" is a regular customer of the LBS. The LBS used to be, but is no longer a carrier of the builder in question. It probably would have been best if he stayed out of the middle, but he was there from the start.

William

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
. . . the short hairs to grab here are the ones of the LBS. Your friend knows from personal experience where the disputed parts went out of his sight--he gave them to the face at the LBS--still attached to his bike. It then became the LBS's responsibility to return them to him. "The builder didn't send them back to us" is not an acceptable excuse for not giving them back. If the LBS can produce shipping records that document the weight of the package when it went both ways then that's nice, but it doesn't get them off the hook--it simply gives them leverage with the builder.

Your friend could have several options to apply pressure. I think the first step would be to approach the LBS nicely, explain to them his viewpoint on responsibility for this little "accident" and see what kind of reaction he gets. You don't say whether he has done this yet. Much may depend here on his previous relationship with the store. That may be all he has to do and they will do the right thing.

But I would think legally there is a clear strong implied responsibility that if they accept your merchandise into their care, they are going to use due diligence to return it to you. Again, "The builder didn't send them back to us" is not an acceptable excuse for not giving them back. My own speech would pretty much be, "I appreciate your position in this matter, but I gave YOU these parts still attached to my bike. I want and need them back and since I gave them to YOU, I feel you are responsible for producing them or replacing them."

I would not accept any deal that involves anything less than total value replacement.

BBDave

Jeff N.
03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Jeez, what a nightmare cluster****. Incompetence runs rampant. I'd like to take a stab at who the "builder" might be, but I'll refrain. Jeff N.

bostondrunk
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Did you originally buy the frameset through this shop?
If yes, you......er......"Joe", should find another shop. They should have given you a loaner bike to use while yours was away, instead of you having to buy a used frame and new parts from them.

OUT WITH IT! WHO IS THE BUILDER!!!!???!?! :banana:

William
03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
The specific parties involved are not important at this time. I was just curious as to others opinions on the matter. Maybe other have been in a similar situation. Ideally, "Joe" would probably have been better off not knowing the particulars, but that's not the case.

No, he didn't buy the frame through the LBS BD.

William

christian
03-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Seems to me that the LBS got in the mess by trying to help a good customer. I don't think it's fair to hold their feet to the fire.

I'd suggest the LBS comes up with the difference in shipping weights, and does a good faith check-around-the-premises for the parts, and then the LBS and "Joe" put in a double-barrelled assault on the framebuilder to find the parts.

From the sounds of it, I already think the parts are at the builder.

- Christian

bulliedawg
03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm going to lay out a situation that is happening to someone I know very well and I would like your opinions as customers, shop owners, and builders. My "friend" Joe is currently stuck in the middle of a situation between his LBS and a well known builder. Each is basically pointing the finger at the other. Do you see this as the LBS's problem, the builders problem, or shared between them?

"Joe" noticed a bulge in the seat tube of his custom frame and contacted the builder to relay his concerns about it. The bulge lined up with the bottom of the seat post and he wondered if this could be the cause, or if it had been there from the beginning and he just hadn't noticed it right away. "Joe" had a lot of post showing and wondered if it was possible for the leverage caused by his weight might have possibly caused it? "Joe" talked to his contact (through e-mail) at the builders and exchanged much correspondence on the matter. "Joe" was instructed to send the frame, fork, seat post, and saddle to the builder for evaluation/inspection to find out the possible cause and whether it was ok to continue riding. During those conversations, "Joe" decided to have the frame painted while they had it as long as it passed inspection (hence the instruction to include the fork). "Joe" was also instructed to have his LBS send in the frame and parts instead of sending it himself.

"Joe" spent some time to find another frame to build up so he have something to ride before he sent in said frame & parts. He ended up buying a slightly used frame and fork from his LBS and then brought in the bike in question and had them switch all the parts over except the saddle and seat post (which he purchased new ones to put on the temp bike). The LBS was instructed by "Joe" which parts were to go on two separate instances. There was a conversation between the builder contact and the LBS about the shipment. "Joe" was not present during that conversation. The LBS did sit on it for a week or so before sending it out. The frame and (supposedly) the fork, seat post, and saddle were sent around the first or second week of October. On Oct 14, the builder contact told "Joe", "I called **************(LBS)... we are all set to go. I will do a cursory evaluation when the bike comes in and we will go from there." Sometime around the beginning of November "Joe" was contacted and told that the frame was fine, it was basically a cosmetic aspect of the tube, nothing structural. Since "Joe" hadn't decided what color scheme he wanted yet he waited while trying to decide before giving the go ahead. Around Thanksgiving, "Joe" had some personal issues pop up and then a death in the family so he decided he couldn't spend the extra funds for the paint work. He contacted the builder and instructed them to send it back to the LBS. This was right around Thanksgiving.

After Christmas (first week of Jan actually), "Joe" realized he had not heard from his LBS so he gave them a call. They had not received the frame and parts back from the builder yet. On Jan, 10th, "Joe" sent an e-mail to his contact asking where it was? The contact responded, "Oops. Sorry, "Joe". She is still here. I will send it tomorrow." When the box arrived at the LBS, "Joe" was called. The next week "Joe" went down to pick up his frame, fork, seat post, and saddle. When the box was opened right in front of "Joe", the only thing in the box was the frame, nothing else. It was a Saturday so he couldn't contact the builder that day.

Later that afternoon, "Joe" sent an e-mail to his contact explaining that he got the frame and it was fine, but where were the forks, seat post and saddle? The following Monday he got a reply stating that they never received the forks, seat post or saddle. Only the frame.

So, "Joe" has his LBS saying they sent the frame & parts, the builder saying they only received the frame.

A subsequent response from "Joes" builder stated that they have a good tracking system and the point man who opened the box says they weren't there. "Joe" doesn't doubt that they have a system and try to be careful with all frames that come in. In his eyes it's a 50-50 shot. The LBS could have neglected to put them in the box. But the fact that he was instructed to include them from the builder for evaluation purposes and painting, and then the builder never asked where they were if they didn't receive them doesn't add up either. If they didn't need the post & saddle to evaluate (and subsequently pass) the frame, why did they ask for them? If they did need them, which they said they did & asked for, how would *********(master builder) be able to evaluate the problem properly without them? Do you see "Joes" problem here? What they asked for, and what they did don't match up.
Also, when "Joe" was contacted and told that the frame was ok, he was still undecided about the paint. They were waiting for a paint choice and never once mentioned that no fork came in with the frame even though they requested it be sent. At that time they didn't say anything like, "Hey Joe, I didn't get your fork that I asked for, didn't you want that painted too?"
And even with the builders system for keeping track of frames, "Joes" frame lingered in the factory for more than a month after he asked them to send it back. In spite of this, the builder seems to be firm that they weren't lost by them and that they didn't likely receive them.

The LBS is saying they sent them out and can show that the box going out was 3-4 pounds heavier then what came back in from the builder. "Joe" has seen how the LBS packs their boxes, and the box from the builder was opened right in front of him. He's says they were packed almost identically. Not a difference that can explain a 3-4 pound difference.

"Joe" is not saying that the LBS couldn't have messed up. But as the guy in the middle, he's just trying to evaluate all the information he has at his disposal, what makes sense to him, and what doesn't. Right now he's just sitting there with a frame he can't put back together and ride. That certainly wasn't the position he was in when all this started.

William

"Joe" needs to learn that brevity is a virtue.

OldDog
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree with BBD - the BS stops at the LBS. At the very least Joe is due his same fork and equal parts. The shop knows they sent them and acknowledges the weight difference. The shop and builder need to work this out to Joe's satisfaction. Can I assume the builder and the shop have explored damage/loss by the carrier? Unlikely but not unheard of. I would hate to burn my bridges with the shop but it may be time for a pointed letter sent certified mail, copying the builder advising of legal avenues to be taken, naming both shop and builder, should the situation not be resolved promptly. The shop should understand that is necessary on the customers part and if they are truly innocent they should get on the builders a** legally.

Why does this shop no longer handle the builders brand? A hint of past problems?

Please keep us up to date as to the outcome.

Ken Lehner
03-01-2005, 02:59 PM
"Joe" needs to learn that brevity is a virtue.

bulliedawg needs to learn cut and paste.

zap
03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Was there a packing list detailing items in the box? In either direction?

Sandy
03-01-2005, 05:12 PM
1. If I were a betting man, I would give substantial odds that the missing parts are or were at the builder. But that doesn't make any difference.

2. The shop says that it sent the bike with all of the parts to the builder. Therefore, it would be expected that the same bike and parts would be returned. The bike shop has the obligation to Joe, plain and simple. It accepted the responsibility as soon as it took possession of the bike and parts. Joe should look to the shop to return everything that the shop took from him, period.

3. The shop and the builder have a problem to resolve. How they resolve it is their problem, but it should not be Joe's.

Serotta Sandy's Simple Summary-

The shop took it from Joe. Hence the shop is responsible to Joe. All else is between the shop and the builder.

Serotta Sandy's Simple Solution

Sandy
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I think I would like the shop to ship a package out for me- Kevan and his bike. If the return package only included his bike, Sandy would be one happy camper. :D :D

Going to the shop,

Sandy

Serotta PETE
03-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I think I would like the shop to ship a package out for me- Kevan and his bike. If the return package only included his bike, Sandy would be one happy camper. :D :D

Going to the shop,

Sandy

Kevan would be too. He would be in a warmer climate further away from Sandy!!

vaxn8r
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm going to lay out a situation...........

William
Big William, man for the life of me I could not get through that novel. Cut to the chase man.

As for your buddy, work with the shop. If no satisfaction I'd simply move on. Stuff happens.

ZippRider
03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
I just want my fork and missing parts. I do not care who screwed up between the LBS and the builder. The LBS is responsible since that is who disassembled the bike and sent it to the bulider.............. :confused: :confused: :crap: :crap:

mdeeds71
03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
What is it with some LBSs...I have a similar problem

1) Bought a 2003 Klein Palomino in Nov 2004 as new
2) Front derailuer did not shift when uphill with weight on saddle
3) Told to replace rear shock by warranty
4) Shock replaced end of December
5) Shifting still not to standard
6) New deraileur installed by LBS (AT OWNER EXPENSE)
7) Barrel adjuster hanging all the way out
8) Internal calbe routing grommet damaged beyond use with slight damage to metal around it (30 Miles on bike from mid Nov and out of shop early Jan since end of Nov)
9) Still not shifting right...Got fed up went to different Klein Dealer
10) Fixed shifting in day, also noted the grommet and ordered
11) This LBS new what was going on and fixed in a weak

All this and Klein still has yet to get back to me after numerous inquires as why I would have to pay for a XTR front-d when the shop said the LX was not rigid enough...I even had communicated with the tech at Klein for the shock which the shop didn't follow up on, I as well, had email from Maverick, the actual owner of the design and suspension, about the problem in advance of the shop....Looks like when they replaced the front d cable at the original shop they didn't insert a routing tube to place the new one in and had to try to take out the grommet to get the cable back in...and didn't have a new grommet to reinsert so destoyed the current one trying to reinsert.

My questions and any recommendations from the forum...

1) Should I have been the one to pay for a new front-d
2) Who takes care of the paint/frame (minor cosmetic) damage on an AL type frame
3) Does anyone know if a builder controls the work quality for shop that is doing warranty work....

I have no problem telling the builder Klein and the shop Summit Cycles in Los Gatos, CA.

But I have nothing but gratitude to the one that did S&T Bikes in San Jose, Ca...

I trust my Serotta, that I get to pick up this weakend, will be perfect...Shaws lightweight is doing the order/build and it looks great so far and they have been a blast to work with...

I should find a Serotta rigid/rear-d mtb bike soon.

William
03-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Big William, man for the life of me I could not get through that novel. Cut to the chase man.

Brevity is not always one of my suits. Mrs. William lashes me for it....and loves me for it. ;)

William :)