PDA

View Full Version : U-lock blues

gdw
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
While I was traveling she who cleans accidently threw out the key to my old Specialized u-lock. My commuter is now anchored to a wood post on the patio and the old Bic pen trick isn't working. I need to find a way to remove the lock without damaging the post or my frame. The lock is made from hardened steel so a hacksaw won't work. Any suggestions before I call a locksmith? Send me a PM if you aren't comfortable posting a solution on the forum. Thanks.

mjb266
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I think the city solution is a die grinder with abrasive wheels (wear eye protection and put something protective in front of your bike in case you slip!)

For the price of a locksmith you could have your bike back in addition to a very cool tool.

dsteady
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I read an article a long time ago where they had a career bike thief anonymously rate various locks. He rated them by the time it took to break the lock. I think with U-Locks he claimed that with enough time and a big hammer and chisel he cold whale on it until broke free. I had a garage once use a torch to cut through mine, but that was locked wheel to frame.

You might be able to rent the grinder mentioned above at a Home Depot.

vqdriver
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
take the accordian style car jack that's sitting in your car and spread out the two ends of the U until it bends and one end slips out.

unless you've got a NY kryptonite, this should do the trick.

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I got one of these off with big ass giant bolt cutters. Cut like butter.

Ozz
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
take the accordian style car jack that's sitting in your car and spread out the two ends of the U until it bends and one end slips out.

+1

The article mentioned by "desteady" was in Bicycling Magazine (IIRC) and a jack was the main tool to defeat U-Locks.

Although the liquid nitrogen and a big hammer method sounds kinda fun....

gdw
01-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks. I'll try the jack tomorrow.

Dekonick
01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Grinder works wonders.

dsteady
01-04-2010, 06:42 PM
+1

The article mentioned by "desteady" was in Bicycling Magazine (IIRC) and a jack was the main tool to defeat U-Locks.

Although the liquid nitrogen and a big hammer method sounds kinda fun....

Oh yeah! Liquid nitrogen. I forgot. That does sound like fun.

Chief
01-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Go with the jack,
but stand back. :D

GuyGadois
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
if all else fails, I think this would work. http://www.jawsoflife.com/Main/Content.aspx

Mike748
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I made ice cream once with liquid nitrogen. Now that was fun. And tasty.

vqdriver
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
let me amend that.
i think the jack goes in the middle, not towards the ends where they'll pull on the cylinder block. in the center, they'll bend outwards and the tips will bend in enought to clear the notches.
haven't done it, but try what works for you.

and yeah, i'd stand back if possible.

Steve in SLO
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
if all else fails, I think this would work. http://www.jawsoflife.com/Main/Content.aspx

Now that's a great way to change your frame geometry.

BumbleBeeDave
01-04-2010, 07:51 PM
. . . by this "she who cleans" thing . . . Where can I find such a person? :)

. . . and does she know you call her "she who cleans?" :D

BBD

rugbysecondrow
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
. . . by this "she who cleans" thing . . . Where can I find such a person? :)

. . . and does she know you call her "she who cleans?" :D

BBD

If she is like mine, your key is in the drawer under the microwave...with all the other sh*$ that has been "Put Away".

csm
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
If she is like mine, your key is in the drawer under the microwave...with all the other sh*$ that has been "Put Away".

sounds like the way it is here.
along with "I took it 'cuz they were gonna throw it away."

false_Aest
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
+50 carjack.

we had a few too many kids with lost ulock keys come into the store.

carjack always worked the best.

gdw
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
The jack did the job without damaging the frame..... the post will need a little bit of touch-up paint. Thanks.

endosch2
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Buy a really long 2x4, put it through the lock in a way that will create tension against whatever the bike is locked to, and twista pop the thing off - leverage is ur friend.

bshell
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
are seriously risky/dangerous with respect to your frame, your jack, and your eyes. Use a 4.5" angle grinder w/abrasive wheel and some safety glasses and you'll have absolutely none of those potential problems. It'll take about 10 seconds.

avalonracing
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought that the Bic Pen method was the way to go on these things.

palincss
01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I thought that the Bic Pen method was the way to go on these things.

That only works on the cylindrical barrel key locks. Kryptonite had a big recall some years ago and replaced all of them free with flat key models that aren't vulnerable to the bic pen. I liked that they gave me a free replacement for a U lock that I'd had in service for over 25 years. I didn't like that the new lock was made in China so much.

vqdriver
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
so what happened?

did it pop/bend/explode?

Louis
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
did it pop/bend/explode?

Just like a CF frame w/ R-SYS wheels...

endosch2
01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
There is not a lot of danger to the 2 X 4 approach - it is a fairly common method among theives. It is a very fast way to break a lock.

gdw
01-05-2010, 05:26 PM
It bent and then snapped clean. The lock was covered with a couple towels to stop or slow down any pieces which might go flying but weren't needed. The 2X4 method would have damaged the post and frame.

John M
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
It bent and then snapped clean.

Does it concern you how easy it was to steal your own bike? Now you know why the new narrow U-locks are designed such that a jack can't fit in the shackle.