PDA

View Full Version : Questions about zip ties

dekindy
01-04-2010, 08:06 AM
My Cateye V3 wheel/cadence sensor either fell off or got knocked off. Luckily I recovered it and the speed function still works.

I am not sure how it happened. The zip ties either failed or I kicked it with my tennis shoe. It happened but it happened in the LBS parking lot while I was test riding the bike after service.

The zip ties were only 4 months old and used only during the summer. It seems unlikely that both would fail at the same time. Maybe one failed and I did not notice it and then the second failed causing the sensor to fall off.

#1 - Assuming failure, what type of zip ties are recommended? Should I use the heaviest duty tie that will fit in the slot or does size/strength matter? Do I just need to keep a closer watch on the ties? The other explanation is that I got some defective ties. Every zip tie that I received with my Kurt Kinetic trainer computer failed on installation. They appeared to be brittle. I have never had a zip tied component fall off so this is news to me.

#2 - What do you use to cut the zip ties? I have a case knife but it always seems to leave a sharp burr.

OtayBW
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought all zip ties were created equal - more or less - but then, I never had a zip tie failure.

#2: side nippers?

MilanoTom
01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I usually cut zip ties with a set of toenail clippers. It cuts them close with no sharp edges.

Regards,
Tom

peanutgallery
01-04-2010, 09:15 AM
They are not all created equal, particularly the smaller sizes. I have had issues if I try to pull them too tight or if they are trying to hold onto something that is just a little too heavy. Go up a size or 2 and you will be OK.

PS: Steer clear of that jar of 100,000 ties of various sizes and treat yourself to something of quality from the Depot or Lowes. Like you, I have found the cheap ones to be a bit brittle. If you look closely, they have all kinds of colors, sizes and special utilities that cross over to bike stuff pretty well. They are almost as useful in life as duct tape and worth the extra buck or 2

regularguy412
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
You should also look for ties that are UV resistant. After being in the sun long enough, the non-UV resistant ties are definitely more prone to breaking.

Mike in AR:beer:

OtayBW
01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
They are not all created equal, particularly the smaller sizes.
If you needed smaller size ties, is there a brand or type that you would recommend?

Bytesiz
01-04-2010, 09:27 AM
If you needed smaller size ties, is there a brand or type that you would recommend?

I reccomend Thomas & Betts zip ties. Been using them for years for cabling work.

rePhil
01-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I used them by the thousands in a former life. There is a tool for tensioning tie wraps that nips off the ends just right.
Otherwise a sharp razor blade works.

If you can't source them locally, PM me your address and I will send you some UV resistant Black ones. I only have black.

dekindy
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I usually cut zip ties with a set of toenail clippers. It cuts them close with no sharp edges.

Regards,
Tom

I have one and will give it a try. Thanks.

As soon as I receive my Garmin 305 I will go zip tie shopping at Home Depot.

KeithS
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
As Picshooter said UV resistance is important and as Bytesiz said Thomas and Betts are the best, can't get them at Home Depot. I would suggest an electrical contrator supply like Graybar. I've been in the telecom business for a lot of years and I always just go "borrow" some from my installation tech buddies.

dekindy
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I did a search and there appear to be some T&B distributors in my area. Could you be more specific about the product category or even the product number. They have a lot of zip ties and many appear to be UV resistant, at least at first glance.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=L11400C
Would these work?

martinrjensen
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
yes, cheap zip ties are crap. If you go to an electrical supply house they will have good ones. As listed Thomas & Betts are good ones, but not the only good ones. Cheap ones have their place but not when you want to put some pressure on the part

William
01-05-2010, 05:31 AM
:)

Bob Ross
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I reccomend Thomas & Betts zip ties.

+1. Either those, or Hellerman Tyton.

rugbysecondrow
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
who would have thought there would be some much to say about zip ties.

endosch2
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Funny topic that could only happen here today - I was installing a speed /cadence sensor on my trainer bike this morning. It is a garmin one that takes 3 zip ties total.

I discovered that the 3rd hand tool from park that you use to pull cables when adjusting brakes works great at tightening zip ties. You could get at least three or four more clicks past what you could do with your hands.

Keith A
01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Got to love zip ties...

dave thompson
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Got to love zip ties...
You having a hard time keeping your tires from being stolen? :D

Keith A
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
You having a hard time keeping your tires from being stolen? :DIt is COLD in Florida right now, but I don't think I'll ever need studded tires around here :rolleyes:

dekindy
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I thought to ask my LBS, Bicycle Garage Indy, about cable ties. They get their cable ties from a distributor in Noblesville which is just up the road from where I live and where I go for training rides. Who would have thought? Cable Tie Express does not list venders nor do they claim to manufacture, only that they meet UL standards. A fellow forumite offered to send me some T&B ties so I have some on the way. But I may check this place out anyway.

http://www.cabletieexpress.com/index.asp

Louis
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Rapha sells a rebadged Felco tool for this. ;)