PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge 500

norcalbiker
01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Anyone here uses this computer yet? Does it keep a record for your mileage?

mtb_frk
01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
There have been a few threads on this already on here. I just ordered one from REI to replace my 305. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Here is a really good review of it.

http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html

bob the nailer
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I just got mine, have ridden with it once. I don't know but i suspect it does have an odometer function, and also comes with both online and downloadable training/tracking programs

maccpres
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
I rode mine around the block and the % grade display is interesting. It displays a few seconds delayed and some the 6% or -7% grades I would have thought they were about 3 %. Anyone else feel it's accurate?

jasond
01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I feel like my 705 is accurate.

wasfast
01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Don't know but suspect the %grade is relative to how far apart the measurements are. On a long steady climb, I'd expect it to be good. On short, variable climbs not so good. You'd have to decide where the start and end point are for the calculation.

norcalbiker
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
So is this unit have an Odometer function at all?

mandasol
01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I just got one a few days ago and looking through the manual it doesn't look like there is an on board odometer. At least it's not one of the screen options. Though the computer records all of your rides that you can import it into whatever program you choose to view your data. I suppose it's up to you or whatever training software you use to keep track of your total mileage.

dave thompson
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
The Garmin GPS units come with a CD, Garmin Training Center, that you install on your computer. You download your daily rides to the Training Center and the program keeps track of all of your individual ride totals; average speed, mileage, grade, calories, ascent and descent, etc., as well as the cumulative totals of all the data of all rides. You retrieve the info you want from the Training Center program.

mandasol
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
The Garmin GPS units come with a CD, Garmin Training Center, that you install on your computer. You download your daily rides to the Training Center and the program keeps track of all of your individual ride totals; average speed, mileage, grade, calories, ascent and descent, etc., as well as the cumulative totals of all the data of all rides. You retrieve the info you want from the Training Center program.

Just a heads up the Edge 500 doesn't come with Garmin Training Center on a CD, you have to download it from the Garmin's website - which was a little confusing cause a link to it on one of the pages didn't work for me. Also, there is an online version that you can register to use as stand alone instead of the Training Center program. There is a CD in the box but it's just the full owner's manual as they don't include a hard copy (only a quick start guide).

jasond
01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I would imagine Sport Tracks would support this unit. Which is a great free open source program that keeps track of all your activities. It can also keep track of the mileage on the various parts like a chain. This is a great feature.

I know when I first purchase the 705 I had to import the file differently than other units did but the program would still read the file.

I definately support Sport Tracks as there are a lot of third parties out there that like to create enhancements for the program. It far and away better than the Garmin Training Center software.

J

norcalbiker
01-04-2010, 06:12 PM
There is a CD in the box but it's just the full owner's manual as they don't include a hard copy (only a quick start guide).

This is exactly what I found inside the box. I thought I was missing a manual.

dekindy
01-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I have seen Sport Tracks mentioned many times and also Motion Based.

Didn't Garmin purchase Motion Based and the new(??) Garmin Connect is based upon this package instead of the previously inferior Garmin Training Center?

I will be receiving a 305 soon and would like to use Garmin if it is good stuff. Otherwise I will try Sport Tracks.

GuyGadois
01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
So is this unit have an Odometer function at all?

I don't believe any of them have an odometer. It is all on the home computer you sync with which is actually better. If you own a garmin and accidentially left it on while driving home you will understand that having the odometer on the home computer is better than on the GPS unit.

Also, Strava.com supports the Garmin 500 and is WAY better than any online thingy that Garmin offers IMHO.

GG

jasond
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I have seen Sport Tracks mentioned many times and also Motion Based.

Didn't Garmin purchase Motion Based and the new(??) Garmin Connect is based upon this package instead of the previously inferior Garmin Training Center?

I will be receiving a 305 soon and would like to use Garmin if it is good stuff. Otherwise I will try Sport Tracks.
I'm not entirely sure Garmin purchased motion base but the garmin connect site is nice. Not as nice as Cycling Peaks or Sport Tracks for that matter but nicer than what motion base offered for free. It's also nice to be able to upload your files to an online database so you can show others.

Also, Strava.com supports the Garmin 500 and is WAY better than any online thingy that Garmin offers IMHO.
Thank you for turning me onto this site. It looks very promising. I may have to give it a try.

J

dekindy
01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.motionbased.com/gc/view.mb

A quick visit to Motion Based shows that it has been 99% migrated to Garmin and all new registrations are at Garmin. MB site will continue to accept uploads until the site is taken down in 6 months.

endosch2
01-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Ditto on sport tracks - I think this is the best software out there. It does everything and I also like the equipment log.