PDA

View Full Version : Kinesis Alu Fork

93legendti
01-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I have one from the 90's with low mileage. Can anyone fill me in on the durability/longevity of Kinesis forks?

pbjbike
01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Have you ridden this fork? Merlin shipped these on their early road bikes. I absolutely hated mine. Jittery under hard braking was what I recall as being most noticeable. Not made for heavy riders, IMO. TK gave me a nice Prestige fork to replace it with :).

Steve in SLO
01-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I have one from the 90's with low mileage. Can anyone fill me in on the durability/longevity of Kinesis forks?
I have one on my old Specialized S-Works M2 frame and it's been just fine for a number of years and over 15K miles. There have been threads in the past on other websites, with reports of breakage after hard use.

Smiley
01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Ti Man, early Legend Ti's came with this POS fork, I upgraded my serial number 25 Legend to a Time Carbon fork then a F1 FORK AND THE DIFFERENCES WERE NIGHT AND DAY WITH EACH JUMP.

Kenesis was a company run by Marcie Serotta's brother hence the connection with the fork. Do yourself a favor and e-bay that relic.

93legendti
01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. I haven't ridden mine in 8-9 years, so I don't recall how it rode. Safety is paramount. I'm not sure I would even eBay it if it's that bad.

pbjbike
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
It'll make a good basic truing stand. :beer:

zap
01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
The fork is OK as far as stiffness is concerned under my hard charging 170-185 weight.

The dropouts on my kinesis fork are spot on. All other forks I measured (including some from famed builders) are off some. I was so amazed that I measured all forks on hand several times.

For most folks here it's a good fork.

regularguy412
01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Decent fork. Nothing special. I have it as a replacement on my trainer Cannondale. It's a bit on the heavy side, but I wouldn't be afraid to ride it. In fact, I did ride it some while my CSI was being repainted. Mine is about 17 yrs old.

Mike in AR:beer:

David Kirk
01-02-2010, 07:06 PM
IMO that what that fork lacked in handling and ride quality it more than made up for with it's breakaway qualities.

I'd make a lamp out of it............ just don't use a heavy shade.

Dave

djg21
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Have you ridden this fork? Merlin shipped these on their early road bikes. I absolutely hated mine. Jittery under hard braking was what I recall as being most noticeable. Not made for heavy riders, IMO. TK gave me a nice Prestige fork to replace it with :).

Replaced the one on the Merlin I rode in the early 90 with a time Carbon fork. The Kinesis fork was awful.