PDA

View Full Version : Can biking injure your rotator cuff?

JBone
01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Not really sure how I injured my rotator cuff I'm assuming it's biking related but not sure. The last time I had a really bad fall was 3 years ago so I can probably rule that out. Maybe it's the constant pulling and stretching on the bars???

Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

Steve in SLO
01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
A crash might have done it, otherwise there is probably more stress on your rotator cuff hanging bikes on the wall and mounting/dismounting your bike onto roof racks than during routine road riding. Certain situations in MTBing might place stress on the cuff.

Tobias
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Anyone else have this problem? :confused:
Yes, old bike fall injury now made worse when I use the shoulder in odd positions. When sore I can feel it during a ride but that's not the cause of the problem. Unfortunately I don't want to take the time to rest it.

Alan
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I have had some shoulder related problems due to cycling. My best advice is go to a good shoulder orthopeadic dr who has PTs. I have been able to do a lot w/o surgery thru strengthening and stretching.

I broke my clavicle 3 mos ago while cycling and now working w a PT to get to full range of motion. It is painful but good work. I have always needed professional guidance w these problems.

Alan

mgm777
01-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Great question. I had shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago to repair a torn labrum and insert a metal disc on the tip of my humeral head. I too have wondered if cycling either caused or at least aggravated my condition. The only specific event I can recall, that may have been the cause, was a bad fall while skiing about 10 years ago. In any case, I had the surgery. The recovery has been rougher than I anticipated. I am hopeful the long-term prognosis includes less pain.

Ken Robb
01-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I thought I had a torn cuff but it was shoulder impingement syndrome. It required pretty major surgery so the doc could get inside the joint with his power saw and rasp. I'm not making this up. After many sessions with the physical terrorist it's as good as new. You need a skilled orthopedist for diagnosis and treatment.

mgm777
01-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Ken - Ouch! My story was similar. Went into the OR expecting a straightforward arthroscope. Came out with several incisions, sutures, and metal. In the midst of PT now. Sure hoping it gets better.

JBone
01-01-2010, 07:40 PM
The DR was telling me it's a common injury and he gives about 2 or 3 cortizone shots a week. He was suggesting giving me one but I wanted the problem to be treated not just relieve the symptoms. In any case, going to see the PR next week.

I rode about 20 miles today and it was sore the last couple of miles.

Sandy
01-01-2010, 08:44 PM
A crash might have done it, otherwise there is probably more stress on your rotator cuff hanging bikes on the wall and mounting/dismounting your bike onto roof racks than during routine road riding. Certain situations in MTBing might place stress on the cuff.

I agree with other comments that JBone should see an orthopedist. However, I will say that SoCalSteve's comments above are probably spot on. Raising your arm to the side or front over the shoulder is difficult/painful for someone with a rotator cuff injury. A common way of it occurring is an injury that causes you to fall on your shoulder.

Shoulder Sandy

thwart
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Suffering from 'rotator cuff tendinopathy' for over a year now---with no history of a crash or obvious trauma to the area. No tear on MRI. It's my right (dominant) shoulder, so it's had its share of use/abuse over the years. PT was very helpful and eventually allowed me to sleep through the night without that dull ache waking me up.

Riding with too much weight on the hands/bars can make it angry; so can climbing with too much weight forward on the outstretched arm. But, with some minor modifications to the bike and my technique, it's much better than last January.

Learned that patience is key. I remember last April when the sports med doc reviewed the scan with me and said 'recovery from this generally takes six months or more'---hey, I hadn't slept through the night for over 2 months at that point already... :crap:

Working closely with the PT, doing your exercises faithfully, and dialing back the activity a bit... all important in these overuse injuries.

cloudguy
01-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I had rotator cuff issues this past season. My bike has been out of commission since October, so I've switched to running and the problem has gone away. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with a less than perfect fit, causing me to put too much weight on my shoulder. But then why would it only be on my right side? Hopefully the time off has helped it to heal completely, and I'll be pain free this coming season...

OtayBW
01-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm still dealing with some persistent rotator cuff problems from kayaking (gotta watch those high braces...). Hasn't bothered my road riding at all - in fact, I actually have more pain with it when I'm trying to sleep (guess I sleep funny or something). It's definately not getting better and is beginning to be more of a problem all the time. Had some PT a while back - no help...

docmaduff
01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm a certified sports chiropractor, avid cyclist and racer. I see lots of responses about personal stories being treated by M.D.'s and PT's. That's all good but may I offer a different perspective: In the absence of trauma or outside factors you CAN irritate the rotator cuff and shoulder girdle by over-compensating for poor positioning. Next time you're out on the bike, pay attention to shoulder hiking. Everyone does it when they're at the computer, white knuckling the steering wheel or yelling on the phone. The levator scapula muscles and traps become over-active so easily causing tension. This can creep into the supraspinatus (the top muscle of the rotator cuff) and contribute to impingement syndrome, as one member reported having. NEXT, if your bars are too narrow the external rotators of the cuff; the infraspinatus and teres minor may become over-active and go into spasm. If they are allowed to get so tight you develop myofascial trigger points, you'll get referral pain that can be felt in other parts of the shoulder and even down the shoulder blade. Referral pain is usually deep and dull and can even bother you at night.
So if this sounds like you, maybe a trip to the chiropractor or massage therapist would be more appropriate than cortisone shots (which can damage joint cartilage with repeated use). You will also benefit from rotator cuff strengthening exercises like internal/external rotation with a theraband and pull down exercises.
Hope that helps.

pbjbike
01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
When I was a messenger, my shoulders got so sore, I could not raise my arms over my head. I was riding bullhorn bars and keeping my hands in one position for 10 hours a day...Reaching forward when getting on the bike was extremely painful. Made it to my accupressurist in Denver over the holidays that year. He did some muscle testing, and went to town on my forearms. There were multiple trigger points that were completely bound up and causing the shoulder pain and lack of motion. I left his office doing cartwheels, (and changed to drop bars immediately).

MsRN
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
JBone,

A lot of great comments here, none of which I'd disagree with. Unfortunately, though, you can't rule out that fall you took, because rotator cuff injuries, once sustained, progressively worsen over time. That is, once damaged, they don't get better, though I'm reasonably sure you can delay the degeneration with proper therapy. I've gotten by for almost twenty years since my injury, with minimal problems so far, so hang in there!

Best,

M A (an overly-educated RN) :)

JBone
01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I guess we just have to accept certain things as we get older... with regard to aches and pains. I just remember as a kid my grandparents smelling like BenGay all the time, wondering why they smell like that. I guess I can sympathize with them now. I had a icy hot patch on my shoulder for 2 weeks.

Life is too short enjoy while you can. :beer:

93legendti
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
My left shoulder has been bugging me the last few months-I injured it 30 years ago, but it really flared up this past summer. :(.

twin
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I fell on my bike 5 years ago and about 5 months ago I had to get a shoulder replacement of the humerous because the impact of the fall killed my bone because it stopped the blood flow. I would not have imagined this could have happened from a fall that fractured my shoulder.