PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm................

shinomaster
03-01-2005, 03:04 AM
So today I decided to rip off the Stay Tuff chainstay protector on my Atlanta. It came with a factory sticker, which never really fit well, as it pealed off, so I replaced it...
What came off with the sticker was some of the clear coat, and the Serotta decal!! Hah ha ha ...hmmmm.......crap.
Should I not use a stay tough guard again or do I really have a ****ty paint job on my bike?? Hmmm...
I'm getting it re-painted so I don't really care about the paint, but what should I slap on the chain stay when it's all done? Duck tape? Not everything fits well on that oh so clever Colorado Concept "S" bend chainstay..

:no:

rcscott
03-01-2005, 03:18 AM
I have the ottrott plain Ti that came with a clear plastic shield on the chainstay that doesn't seem up to much. Would also like to replace with something more durable before the chain pops off and chews up the frame.

JohnS
03-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Keep your drivetrain adjusted and your chain will stay where it's supposed to.

David Kirk
03-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Yo Shino-

Try heating up the stay protecter with a hair dryer before installing it. It will get soft and go where ever you want it to. Always worked for me.

Dave

PaulE
03-01-2005, 03:14 PM
In my experience, hard shifts will cause chain slap and chip your chainstay even if the drivetrain is properly adjusted. I like the neoprene Lizard skin, even though it looks dorky and you should take it off and let it dry after a wet ride.

Kevan
03-01-2005, 03:57 PM
rolls of bike saver milar tape. I think it comes in 1.5"x10' rolls. This stuff is terrific for protecting chain stays. Also good for taping computer sensor wire to a fork (almost invisible by directing the wire to the back and inside of the fork and taping it in place), or even protecting your car's trunk from the clips used on your bike carrier. Its got a million and one uses and only falls short when trying to tape Sandy's mouth shut. But then... I'd be asking for a miracle there, I suppose. :D

William
03-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Has anyone tried the Lizard Skins carbon protectors? Just curious.

William

vandeda
03-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Lizard Skins carbon protectors? Just curious.

William

William,

Yeah ... I have one ... far far far too stiff. I haven't installed it yet ... but it appears the only way it will really stay on is heating it a lot to see if I can soften it up enough to reform around the chainstay ... or, like another person I saw with one ... zip ties. I wouldn't bother personally.

How about an old inner tube w/duct tape, works OK on the mountain bike ;-) My friend has a clear plastic that's hard to see, and has worked well on his mountain bike which I would arguably say sees more abuse than a road bike.

Shino, next time I would recommend heating it up some to soften the adhesive before trying to remove it ... though, it sounds like the clearcoat didn't have a real strong bond to the paint regardless ... still would have helped though.

Dan

Spinner
03-01-2005, 05:21 PM
on a plastic cutting board, place two to three layers atop each other, cut the ends for conformity, then apply to chainstay by slowly pressing the middle of the tape before the outer edges. this will allow you to get all/most of the bubbles/blisters out.

the only problem that i've experienced removing the tape is the remaining residue left on the tube, which can be removed with alcohol.