PDA

View Full Version : tig'd drop out

Smiley
01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I just saw this beauty on Kelly's website. Has anybody seen something like this before, just curious.

jamesau
01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks like the Wright style dropout from Paragon Machine Works:
http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/storename/paragonmachineworks/ViewDept-261329.aspx

MRB
01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
That dropout is similar to a Breeze-In drop out. The Breeze in does not have the mechanical/replaceable der. hanger.
Some skewers work better than others in these dropouts.

For a technical implementation perspective:
Carl Strong has a recent video on his website (www.strongframes.com) that shows him TIG welding one to a frame. I'm not sure if the one Carl is using has the replaceable der. hanger or not. Carl states that TIG welding them is a bit of a challenge due to the different in thickness of metal in the stays as compared to the dropout.

Apparently they are very light weight. That is what DK is using on his JKS. Of course DK would be brazing them not TIG welding them.

HopeThisHelps

PacNW2Ford
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, those look like these Paragons:

mike p
01-01-2010, 01:36 PM
No matter what there called or who makes them I think they all share lineage from the original Joe Breeze dropout.

Mike

MRB
01-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Mike P - You are right, Joe Breeze get the design credit for sure.

PacNW... - Those photos are nice, as they show how some skewers could be an issue. Can you post more photos of that bike. I'm curious with the wide rims, fenders, etc.

Thanks!

bigmonter
01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
No matter what there called or who makes them I think they all share lineage from the original Joe Breeze dropout.

Mike

How could something first inspired, used, and named after the Wright Cycle Co., you may have heard of the owners Orville and Wilbur Wright you know the guys who invented the airplane, share lineage with something made by someone else 60 or 70 years later.

While others after the Wright's may have tweaked the original design, it is clear that the Wright Brothers were the ones who inspired others and are the original.

bigmonter
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks!

Hey before you hand out credit maybe you should research who came up with the design first.

See my last post above.

mike p
01-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Wright bro's flying machine------Boeing 747----world of difference.
Original Joe Breeze dropout------paragon-----not much difference.
I do concede you have a point but the dropout shown is only an upgrade from the original.

Mike

How could something first inspired, used, and named after the Wright Cycle Co., you may have heard of the owners Orville and Wilbur Wright you know the guys who invented the airplane, share lineage with something made by someone else 60 or 70 years later.

While others after the Wright's may have tweaked the original design, it is clear that the Wright Brothers were the ones who inspired others and are the original.

MRB
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I guess these dropouts should be called something like the
"Wright-On" dropout instead of Breeze-In.
sorry, Joe.

bicycletricycle
01-01-2010, 04:53 PM
i especially like the dropouts on pegoretti frames, like the big leg emma

PacNW2Ford
01-01-2010, 06:15 PM

PacNW... - Those photos are nice, as they show how some skewers could be an issue. Can you post more photos of that bike. I'm curious with the wide rims, fenders, etc.

Thanks!

Soon...not quite ready for prime time...

alancw3
01-02-2010, 06:31 AM
i believe moots has been using that style dropout for many years now. actually one of the reasons i like a moots so much. however i never considered the potential skewer problem. those style dropouts just look so totally functional to me.

jamesau
01-02-2010, 07:20 AM
I guess these dropouts should be called something like the
"Wright-On" dropout instead of Breeze-In.

I've also heard them referred to as 'hooded'. I've this style on 2 bikes; skewer-fit is not an issue but I can't seem to perform rear wheel changes as quickly with this style.

K Bedford
01-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Jamesau got it right.
This is a Paragon product, light, straight forward to use, and attractive in a functional way.
I chose this dropout because Paragon has done their homework on all their stuff and since this dropout will be used on cross and mountain bikes that use v-brakes as well as road, the replaceable hanger is a plus.

jharsha
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I've got the same dropout on a new Ti travel bike from Carl Strong that I'm building up this weekend. I really like the replaceable hanger.

Jim

PacNW2Ford
01-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks!

In the gallery...