PDA

View Full Version : Stationary trainer doesn't fit my custom ??????

Lucky Jack
12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
OK.....no throwing tomatoes at me but I swear my ol' Cycle-ops Mag trainer won't fit my new CDA !!!

I've tried and tried for the past hour figuring it has to be user error but I'm telling you it just won't fit !

The issue seems to be the chainstays are shorter so the crank arms will hit the actual mag roller set head on. We're not talking by a fraction of an inch but dead center. I've maxed out the adjustments from both sides of the spectrum but nowhere near enough. My custom is the greatest thing for my cycling since sliced bread so I really could care less (besides its an old Cycle-ops). Of course I picked it up about 10 years ago and eventually threw away my old rollers so I've got zip in a snow storm on new years. :crap:

Anyone else find themselves in this pickle ? I have to be honest....for a 5am throw the TV on and interval spin for 30 minutes...I prefer a stationary. Wondering if others could chime in if a stationary is just not an option given my custom sizing ?

Thanks for the input !!!

David Kirk
12-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Something sounds wrong. Can you post a photo?

dave

Lifelover
12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
OK.....no throwing tomatoes at me but I swear my ol' Cycle-ops Mag trainer won't fit my new CDA !!!

I've tried and tried for the past hour figuring it has to be user error but I'm telling you it just won't fit !

The issue seems to be the chainstays are shorter so the crank arms will hit the actual mag roller set head on. We're not talking by a fraction of an inch but dead center. I've maxed out the adjustments from both sides of the spectrum but nowhere near enough. My custom is the greatest thing for my cycling since sliced bread so I really could care less (besides its an old Cycle-ops). Of course I picked it up about 10 years ago and eventually threw away my old rollers so I've got zip in a snow storm on new years. :crap:

Anyone else find themselves in this pickle ? I have to be honest....for a 5am throw the TV on and interval spin for 30 minutes...I prefer a stationary. Wondering if others could chime in if a stationary is just not an option given my custom sizing ?

Thanks for the input !!!

My guess is that you are using the trainer backwards!?

Bytesiz
12-31-2009, 12:59 PM

Or you've got like 2000mm cranks or something.

ergott
12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Perhaps this might clear things up. It should look like this (different trainer).

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4760639/110967-main_Full.jpg

MattTuck
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
This thread is useless without pictures.

vqdriver
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM

+1

i thought the mag roller was supposed to be to the rear of the wheel?

like this

http://www.gadgetspage.com/wp-content/P1000185.jpg

Lucky Jack
12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
<walks away in shame>

Doh !!!!

I was trying to set it up like my wife's fluid trainer - bone head.

New Year's resolution 2010 - don't be a bone head !

Thanks crew ! :D

Louis
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Now can we throw the tomatoes? :p

paulrad9
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.gadgetspage.com/wp-content/P1000185.jpg

That picture reminds me of a time I overhead a conversation at LBS where customer complained that the trainer was 'very, very noisy'. After a little investigating, the employee determined that customer was using a knobby tire on the rear wheel

Lucky Jack
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
<stands blindfolded against the brick wall smoking a cigarette>

Ready...

Aim...

Fire your tomatoes...

<I deserve it> :D

1centaur
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
New Serotta Rule of Thumb: If somebody reports a problem with a bike that nobody has ever, ever reported before, and millions of people have used a bike the same way without a problem, it's not the bike.

Hey, thanks for making us feel superior, if only for the briefest moment before we remember the time we.....

Louis
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM

Stuff like that happens to me every now and then. Your mind gets stuck in a rut and you can only see a problem from one perspective. Whenever that happens I remind myself to always keep an open mind when trying to figure something out. Step back and think "OK, let's look at this again with a fresh point of view." Sometimes that helps.

"Enjoy" riding inside. I can't do it - it turns my brain to mush.

Louis

54ny77
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
this senior moment brought to you by the makers of geritol. :beer:

dekindy
12-31-2009, 03:39 PM
That is okay. I somehow missed paying the cable bill one month. The next month I had a senior moment and paid the previous cable company and they had not been our provider for over 2 years!

It got even wierder. The previous cable company, that gave us great service compared to the new cable company, immediately forwarded the payment to the new company. I use the bank's bill paying service and a couple of days after all this transpired the payment was credited back to my bank account. After all was said and done I got a couple of months cable for free. Think I should try this again?

I feel bad and left a message at the previous provider explaining the situation. I have not heard from them. Maybe they thought it was not worth it? In my defense the old cable company could not find my payment so I had no idea they would forward it to the new cable company. How the payment got returned to me and also forwarded to the new cable company is a mystery. I thought it would take forever to get resolved but I unexpectedly came out ahead. Having a screw up, especially one that I caused, get resolved in my favor does not happen very often..

Ray
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
<stands blindfolded against the brick wall smoking a cigarette>

Ready...

Aim...

Fire your tomatoes...

Don't feel bad. I remember when I was new to mountain biking (and biking in general, at least the adult version of it), I came off pretty violently at one point and when I went to get back on, figured I'd completely frucked up the bike because I couldn't get the tire straight - it kept hitting the downtube. I must have struggled with it for two or three minutes before realizing the wheel was twisted around backwards. A quick turn back in the right direction and all was good with the world. The guys I was riding with were laughing too hard to give me ANY help on that one. About soiled themselves before I finally worked it out.

Hey, its fun to be an idiot sometimes.

Let us know when you have the bike on your roof rack and run it into the garage.

-Ray

garysol1
01-01-2010, 07:36 AM
<walks away in shame>

Doh !!!!

I was trying to set it up like my wife's fluid trainer - bone head

So you hive the roller of your wife's fluid trainer backward's as well? Her's should look the same as the ones in the pictures. The rollers of all trainers will roll against the back of the tire.