PDA

View Full Version : These shoes were made for walking?

Lifelover
02-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Are there any road bike shoes that are made to be able to walk half decent in as well as ride?

If not, do you take something on the ride with you in case (or if you know) you need to walk?

Thanks

Kirk Pacenti
02-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Bruce K
02-28-2005, 07:43 PM
If you are using Look or Speedplay pedals you can get "cafe covers".

These are a rubber cover that snaps over your cleats when you need to walk into a store or around a rest stop. They keep your cleats from clogging with debris or ruining someone's floor.

BK

Ken Robb
02-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Dura Ace 7800 cleats are way better for walking than my old Speedplays but even they would be bad for anything more than a couple hundred yards or standing around at a rest stop.
I have some SPD mountain pedals on Shimano M020 shoes that are good for walking---almost like the cleats weren't there.
You might be amazed how well MKS Touring Pedals work for riding even without straps if you wear shoes with fairly smooth rubber soles like Topsiders. Obviously then you have no problem walking as far as you want.

Ray
03-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Are there any road bike shoes that are made to be able to walk half decent in as well as ride?

If not, do you take something on the ride with you in case (or if you know) you need to walk?

Thanks
Lake either made or still makes a pair of road shoes with huge lugs around the front of the toe and on the heel to facilitate walking. I've never tried them, so can't comment on how walkable they really are. I stick with road pedals on a few bikes that I like to ride hard on - the support of a Look pedal is something I've never found in an mtb pedal and I don't do much walking on those rides anyway - rarely more than a quick trip into a convenience store. But I use SPDs on the bikes I ride around town, mountain bike on, and tour on.

-Ray

Vancouverdave
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Road bike shoes for walking? Sure, just find one of the British companies that still make leather touring shoes, and use toe clips and straps. I think Reynolds (no relation) is still in business. Find a copy of Cycling Plus and look through the small mfg's ads in the back.

William
03-01-2005, 10:43 AM
In my wipe out on the RR tracks, I was wearing spd's. I ended up walking/limping about 2 - 3 miles with my bike on my shoulder, taco'd wheels, and blood pouring down my leg in those shoes before someone took pity on me and gave me a ride.
SPD's would likely be a good choice for walkabouts.

William
(admittedly, I don't know what SPD's currently look like. Been on Speedplays for a number of years).

IFRider
03-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Couple of years back I converted all my bikes from Look road pedals to Speedplay Frogs (off road pedals). I was using them on my mtn bike and liked them a lot. My wife and I returned from a tour of Tuscany where there was a bunch of site seeing and walking in Look cleats on cobble stone was a nightmare. The people walking in mtn bike shoes had the right idea. Problem was I had just purchase a sweet pair of Sidi's Genius road shoes. I was able to get a SPD cleat adapter for the shoes and a little dremel work made the Frog cleat fit perfectly. That gives me the option of shoes (mtn/road) when going out for a ride. You accomplish the same if you were using SPDs or Eggbeaters, but I like the float of Frogs.

antman
03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Shimano has some touring shoes SHT092 which are recessed cleats but they are SPDs. I have been using them on my road bike for over two years and you can walk in them with no problem. A friend of mine has those "cafe Covers" for his Look cleats and walking is still an issue for him.

christian
03-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I use Diadora Gekos and Sidi Dominators with Speedplay Frog pedals on all my bikes (commuter, tourer, roadie). They're walkable.

- Christian

Dekonick
03-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Time attac mtn pedals with a good shoe work great. I have that on 2 bikes (fixxie/cross bike and mtn bike)

Look pedals are still my #1 choice for just riding. Any walking and the looks get changed out for time's.

As far as shoe's they dont have to weigh a ton - Ive got 2 pair of D2 shoes. Exactly the same shoe but one with the mountain sole, one with the road sole. ALSO D2 shoes can be tax deductable if you get a MD to write a Rx for orthotics! My total cost for custom shoes, after the tax relief...was only approx $250 a pair (guestimate - might be a lil bit more than that.)

but again thats CUSTOM fit! Comfy and light wt.

Others like Rocket for the custom option...