PDA

View Full Version : CF frame crack - need advice

CHF
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm in need of some advice on what to do. I bought a 08 Pinarello Prince Carbon about a year ago. It was used when I bought it but in great shape. Since then it has developed a 3 cm crack in the frame on the drive side of the seattube almost at the junction with the BB. I didn't notice it until recently because it was hiding behind my front chain rings. It's too high to be due to paint cracking around the BB shell. I contacted the original owner to see about getting a warranty return on the frame, but it looks like I am about two months too late.

I'd really like to keep the frame, but I don't know anything about Calfee repairs and I'm not even sure that it's in a spot that can be repaired.

My question to all of you is, what do I do now? Does anyone have any experience with carbon repair that can shed some light on the feasibility of getting it fixed?

TAW
12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I recommend Calfee. I had a repair done on a top tube crack and it came out well, and I still ride the bike.

Kines
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I can't help, but while you wait, I just want to warn you to expect luddite answers to this post such as "steel/ti wouldn't do this".

And once I get my Litespeed returned to me that I just sold, I'll post photos of the spontaneous crack that appeared on the headtube.

KN

bshell
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
calfee will fix it and do a good job!

jpw
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm in need of some advice on what to do. I bought a 08 Pinarello Prince Carbon about a year ago. It was used when I bought it but in great shape. Since then it has developed a 3 cm crack in the frame on the drive side of the seattube almost at the junction with the BB. I didn't notice it until recently because it was hiding behind my front chain rings. It's too high to be due to paint cracking around the BB shell. I contacted the original owner to see about getting a warranty return on the frame, but it looks like I am about two months too late.

I'd really like to keep the frame, but I don't know anything about Calfee repairs and I'm not even sure that it's in a spot that can be repaired.

My question to all of you is, what do I do now? Does anyone have any experience with carbon repair that can shed some light on the feasibility of getting it fixed?

What is the length of a Pinarello warranty? Serotta's is longer.

dave thompson
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Calfee is well known for doing excellent repairs on carbon bikes that are not their brand. Calfee is careful and conciencous and will not repair something they think they cannot do a good job on.

IMO it would be well worth the phone call and the cost of shipping to Calfee for an evaluation. http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm

Smiley
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I can't help, but while you wait, I just want to warn you to expect luddite answers to this post such as "steel/ti wouldn't do this".

And once I get my Litespeed returned to me that I just sold, I'll post photos of the spontaneous crack that appeared on the headtube.

KN

I think this subject only highlights the caution one needs when buying a used CF frame since cracks are harder to spot. Maybe the original owner can help the Poster with the warranty on the frame.

DaveS
12-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I'd 2nd (or 3rd) Calfee.

I had Calfee take a look at my Look 595 frame that cracked by the DS dropout. They weren't able to fix the frame (no dropout molds for the Look frames), but I was very impressed with their professionalism and expertise.

John M
12-30-2009, 03:49 PM

Pretty sure that all of the Gita imported products (Pinarello, Eddy merckx, Pegoretti) carry a 2-year warranty. That said Serotta's warranty only applies to the original owner for defects in materials and workmanship.

Whether something like the crack in this case is a warrantable problem is unknown from the information presented. A warranty doesn't mean that something will never break or wear out.

The OP bought the bike used. Part of the trade off for the discount of buying used is accepting being without a warranty.

CHF
12-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I actually worked with the original owner to see if it was still under the 2 year warranty. Unfortunately, I was too late and it had expired. I'm not bitter about the experience and he is definitely a guy I would buy from again. Again, I'm pretty sure the crack developed in the time I had it. If the original owner still had it, he would probably be facing the same thing.

I just want to ride my bike safely. Seems like the consensus is that I should send it to Calfree.

gemship
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I actually worked with the original owner to see if it was still under the 2 year warranty. Unfortunately, I was too late and it had expired. I'm not bitter about the experience and he is definitely a guy I would buy from again. Again, I'm pretty sure the crack developed in the time I had it. If the original owner still had it, he would probably be facing the same thing.

I just want to ride my bike safely. Seems like the consensus is that I should send it to Calfree.

or if you're really handy and have no fear you can attempt to repair it yourself. It may not look pretty, depending on how bad it is I imagine a repair similar to fiberglass is possible. Hey people actually make their own carbon fiber bikes, google it, believe it or not.

SoCalSteve
12-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I believe in the same area as Calfee ( Nor Cal) you will find a couple other people who do carbon fiber repair. I also believe that 1.) they all used to work for Calfee, 2.) Calfee sends all the repairs to these guys anyways and 3.) They are cheaper than Calfee.

If you are studious, you may find a couple of the names on this forum. Type in the search feature my name, Time and in the classifieds or, maybe not the classifieds.

When my Time came back messed up from a fed Ex shipment, a couple people gave me recommendations of guys to send it to other than Calfee.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: If you take high resolution pictures and send them on to these guys, they will tell you if it can be fixed and how much $$$.

CHF
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
It looks like Road Runner Velo and Richard Goldie also do CF repairs. I'll send pictures out to them and Calfee and see what they have to say. Hopefully this is repairable.

SoCalSteve
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
It looks like Road Runner Velo and Richard Goldie also do CF repairs. I'll send pictures out to them and Calfee and see what they have to say. Hopefully this is repairable.

Didnt have a very good experience with him...

If Road Runner Velo is close to Calfee, then they are a great shop to do business with. There is also a painter up in that same area that does repairs as well (hispanic name), give him a shout as well...Both of these shops work very closely with Calfee.

Steve

sloji
12-30-2009, 07:22 PM
rrvelo.com edgar chavez

oldpotatoe
12-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Just about every warranty of bicycle frames is longer than Pinarello. Particularly most american builders, like Waterford, Moots, etc.

CHF
12-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I'll let you guys know how things turn out. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be posting before and after pics and raving about a great repair.

CHF
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, after some sage advice from a friend who thought the diagnosis of a frame crack was bogus, I scraped the paint and found that the carbon wasn't cracked. Something obviously cracked the paint, but it wasn't from the frame. Lucky me.

Now, does anybody know where I can get white paint to match my Pinarello? While I'm asking, how about red too? :rolleyes:

RBaker2778
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Well, after some sage advice from a friend who thought the diagnosis of a frame crack was bogus, I scraped the paint and found that the carbon wasn't cracked. Something obviously cracked the paint, but it wasn't from the frame. Lucky me.

Now, does anybody know where I can get white paint to match my Pinarello? While I'm asking, how about red too? :rolleyes:

You would be surprised how well you can match small paint chips with Testor's Model Paint.

DHallerman
01-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I think this subject only highlights the caution one needs when buying a used CF frame since cracks are harder to spot. Maybe the original owner can help the Poster with the warranty on the frame.

+1 on that cautionary note.

Or perhaps, in frustration at my own carbon-crack experience, +27.

Dave, who recently started a thread about the crack on the carbon/steel Seven he bought used from a fellow on this forum