PDA

View Full Version : Easton vs Hed wheels

norcalbiker
12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Is $100.00 more worth buying the HED Bastogne over Easton Circuit? I don't know much about these wheelsets, so I appreciate any inputs or comments for those who knows

TIA

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I would/did.

The C2 rim profile has several advantages IMHO.

Check out other threads for comments beyond my unapologetically biased (but honest :D ) opinions when it comes to HED wheels.

BK

merckx
12-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with BK. The HED wheels that I have have been fabulous. I would recommend them for function and durability.

jazznap
12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I used to have some old Velomax Circuits, they were OK but nothing to shout about. I now have both Easton EA90 Aeros and HED Bastigones. I love my Bastigones and would take the them in a heatbeat over the Circuits.

norcalbiker
12-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks so much guys!

dave thompson
12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Late to the party, but I'll heartily endorse the HED wheels too!

LegendRider
12-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Has anyone used Flamme Rouge versions of Hed wheels? I'm curious to hear opinions about them.

Ray
12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Has anyone used Flamme Rouge versions of Hed wheels? I'm curious to hear opinions about them.
Here's what HED says about them:

Flamme Rouge Sonic hubs are built to the same exacting tolerances as regular sonics, but save weight with a carbon hub shell and forged titanium ratchet ring. Ceramic bearings are used to reduce weight and rolling resistance. Ti skewers are lighter than stock steel ones. The Scandium alloyed rims on FR wheels are lighter, stronger, and stiffer than unalloyed models.

I would say that the changes to the hub are probably not worth the extra money. I don't buy that ceramic bearings make a difference even at the most elite level of the sport and definitely not the way any of us ride. A little bit of weight at the hub isn't gonna be noticeable. A lighter rim COULD be beneficial, but the total difference between the Ardennes and the FR version is only about 17 grams for the SET and I doubt that more than a few of those grams are from the rim. So I wouldn't spend the extra hundreds on the FR's, but if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, go crazy.

-Ray

cmg
12-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Here's what HED says about them:

Flamme Rouge Sonic hubs are built to the same exacting tolerances as regular sonics, but save weight with a carbon hub shell and forged titanium ratchet ring. Ceramic bearings are used to reduce weight and rolling resistance. Ti skewers are lighter than stock steel ones. The Scandium alloyed rims on FR wheels are lighter, stronger, and stiffer than unalloyed models.

I would say that the changes to the hub are probably not worth the extra money. I don't buy that ceramic bearings make a difference even at the most elite level of the sport and definitely not the way any of us ride. A little bit of weight at the hub isn't gonna be noticeable. A lighter rim COULD be beneficial, but the total difference between the Ardennes and the FR version is only about 17 grams for the SET and I doubt that more than a few of those grams are from the rim. So I wouldn't spend the extra hundreds on the FR's, but if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, go crazy.

-Ray

Try buying a light tire and tube combo to get the 17 grams back. weight at the rim is more important than at the hub. use a Diamante pro light for the rear and conti supersonic on the front as an example. better bang for your buck.

Bruce K
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I have used the ceramic bearing set[up on a couple of wheels and have now gone back to the standards.

While there seemed to be aslightly noticable difference in rolling speed the ceramics require slightly looser tolerances in bearing seals for their benefit to be realized.

This can lead to earlier than desirable bearing replacement in you ride a lot in rainy, dirty, or cyclocross conditions.

HED's standard bearings are outstanding and VERY durable.

Put your FRN's elsewhere as in model upgrades or other parts unless you are racing and the bearing life isn't a big issue.

BK

dixiesdad
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
just got my hed bastognes and love them. the wider rim allows the tire to spread out a bit and the feel is awesome.

Longdaddy
12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Bastogne's, Jet 60's and a Jet Disc......

Great customer service.

They have my vote and money.