PDA

View Full Version : OT: Heading for Australia in late July and/or Early August - suggestions?

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I am taking my wife on one of her "Bucket List" trips in honor of our 25th.

We are planning to visit Australia and maybe New Zealand in late July and/or early August for at least 2 weeks.

I would welcome any suggestions as to places to stay, places to visit, things to do, etc. that will help make this a memorable trip.

Advice from folks who live there or have been would be greatly appreciated.

BK

PS: If there is something that is highly over-rated or not worth doing I'd like to know that too but please don't say "Australia Zoo" as that is one of her must see places no matter what. :rolleyes:

chuckred
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Disclaimer - I was there in the late 70s, and in the southern hemisphere summer, not winter. Didn't see any mainland Australia, but Tasmania was incredible. South Island of New Zealand - wow! Milford Sound, Routeburn Track ("Track" = Trail), Mt. Tasman.

I'm guessing winter might rule out some of the above...

Ray
12-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I was there as a kid but still have some indelible memories. I was there in their winter too and it wasn't bad. Would have been good cycling if I'd been into it - beautiful long rural roads. Good links type golf if you're into that. Otherwise, just a gorgeous place to play tourist. Saw more of the New Zealand countryside than Australia, where we mostly stuck to the cities.

Our 25th is this summer too (August) - we're heading for a couple of weeks cruise on the Mediterranean and then a week at a cycling hotel in Riccione, where my wife can sit on the beach all day (her passion) and I can ride in the mornings and join her on the beach in the afternoon.

-Ray

thinpin
12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
How much time have you got, what sort of interests do you have when you travel? ...food and wine, wildlife, natural wonders etc, cities, history adventure.....
When I travel the things that I want to do will be different what someone else will want.

Smiley
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Talk to the lovely MA Martin as she lives there now with her new husband, I hear she will beat NAHBS 2010

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I am planning to get in touch with her.

My problem is there are too many choices and they are too spread out to be able to see/do all.

We are trying to focus on the south and east coasts and Great Barrier Reef as focal points of the trip.

BK

paczki
12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Go here on the way from Sidney to Brisbane on upward to Cairns:

http://www.oreillys.com.au/

Absolutely hands-down one of the best places I have ever been.

And when you're up north make sure to take a Daintree river cruise and to go up to Cape Tribulation.

boneman
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Not sure where you're coming from but I'll assume the US. Fly into Sydney and spend two or three days recovering and enjoying the city. Bondi beach, bridge walk, book a table now at Tetsuya's (rated one of the top 10 restaurants in the World), etc. Then drive up the coast to Brisbane. Beautiful scenery and you'll probably want to stop half way, say around Coff's Bay. From Brisbane, you can stay and explore the Gold Coast and/or hop a flight from Brisbane to Cairns. I wouldn't stay in Cairns but would get a car and head north up to Port Douglas. It's a good spot for getting trips out to the Great Barrier Reef. Fly back from Cairns to Sydney, hire a car and drive up to the Blue Mountains, staying at Lillianfels and probably good for a couple of days of eating, drinking and hiking. If you're more adventerous, drive up to Margaret River and spend a night, taking in some of the wineries. Alternatively, you can go from Sydney down to Melbourne for a few nights and really tie on the feed bag, eating and drinking. All of that will easily take two weeks. Ayers Rock, I'd pass as it's a long way from anywhere in Australia and there's nothing else out there. Darwin would be good but check what the weather's like when you want to go, it can rain a bit up there. I'm going to Perth/Freemantle for a week in February but I'm only a five hour flight away and wouldn't recommend it if you're coming from the States and haven't been to Australia before.
New Zealand is awesome and we spent a month there in 1990 for what could have easily been a six week trip. Fjordland, albatross sanctuary in Otago, Queenstown and Mt Cook on the South Island should not be missed while the North Island has Rotarua, Bay of Islands, Mt. Ruapehu, Lake Taupo and the Coramandel Peninsula. It's going to get down to compromises, time and flight connections. Good luck but regardless, you'll have a great time.

thinpin
12-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I am planning to get in touch with her.

My problem is there are too many choices and they are too spread out to be able to see/do all.

We are trying to focus on the south and east coasts and Great Barrier Reef as focal points of the trip.

BK
Its hard to give advice without knowing your interests. If going to the reef can you dive?
For the reef I would recommend Port Douglas over Cairns if money is not an issue + you are closer to a trip up to the Daintree. if you really want to see the reef then a live-aboard dive boat will get you to the really good spots, not the bits thrashed by countless snorklers day in day out. Its the Wet season up there now, wet hot and humid. Nicer in the dry.
Lots of pretty places on the south coast, again what do you like doing? Hiking in Wilsons Prom is special but takes a little effort not everyone cup of tea. Melbourne has a host of good restaurants, shows etc. Lots of wineries etc around. But the whole place is so spread out its diificult to advise.

rustychisel
12-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Not sure where you're coming from but I'll assume the US. Fly into Sydney and spend two or three days recovering and enjoying the city. Bondi beach, bridge walk, book a table now at Tetsuya's (rated one of the top 10 restaurants in the World), etc. Then drive up the coast to Brisbane. Beautiful scenery and you'll probably want to stop half way, say around Coff's Bay. From Brisbane, you can stay and explore the Gold Coast and/or hop a flight from Brisbane to Cairns. I wouldn't stay in Cairns but would get a car and head north up to Port Douglas. It's a good spot for getting trips out to the Great Barrier Reef. Fly back from Cairns to Sydney, hire a car and drive up to the Blue Mountains, staying at Lillianfels and probably good for a couple of days of eating, drinking and hiking. If you're more adventerous, drive up to Margaret River and spend a night, taking in some of the wineries.

All pretty good advice so far, except it's Coffs Harbor (not bay). Say hi to Peter Teschner on your way through. Then take a deep breath and cross Margaret River off the list since its at least 2,500 miles from anywhere previously mentioned, being south of Perth on the West coast.

Alternatively, you can go from Sydney down to Melbourne for a few nights and really tie on the feed bag, eating and drinking. All of that will easily take two weeks.

Not sure I'd bother with Melbourne but YMMV. There's some nice little bars and scenes in the old alley part of the city, but they've concreted everything which used to make it charming. Oh, and it rains. And it's grey.

Ayers Rock, I'd pass as it's a long way from anywhere in Australia and there's nothing else out there.

Hard to please, I guess... Uluru (Ayers Rock) is only the largest monolith in the world. And you forgot to look for The Olgas, Mount Connor, etc etc

Darwin would be good but check what the weather's like when you want to go, it can rain a bit up there. I'm going to Perth/Freemantle for a week in February but I'm only a five hour flight away and wouldn't recommend it if you're coming from the States and haven't been to Australia before.

Darwin good, the national park areas around there are sensational, mind blowing. Also inhabited by very large estuarine crocodiles, so don't plan on swimming.

Want wine? Barossa Valley in South Australia is the place... my territory. Want to see the oldest organic fossils ever discovered, that's harder to organise, but the hills of the Ediacara fauna beckon (3.6 BILLION years old). Oh yeah, and the Tour Downunder is on in January, but you knew that. Have fun.

William
12-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Don't forget to stop in Coober Pedy. :beer:

Interesting attractions in Coober Pedy include the mines, the graveyard, and the underground churches. The first tree ever seen in the town was welded together from scrap iron. It still sits on a hilltop overlooking the town. The local golf course - mostly played at night with glowing balls, to avoid daytime temperatures - is completely free of grass and golfers take a small piece of "turf" around to use for teeing off. As a result of correspondence between the two clubs the Coober Pedy golf club is the only club in the world to enjoy reciprocal rights at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews[citation needed].

Both the town and its hinterland, for different reasons, are very photogenic and have therefore attracted film makers. The town itself was the setting for the 2005 film Opal Dream. The hinterland, notably the Breakaways and Moon Plain, have featured as backdrops in films including Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Red Planet, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Pitch Black and Salute of the Jugger which made considerable use of locals as extras. Coober Pedy also featured in the second season of the TV series, The Amazing Race. The book Wildfire by Chris Ryan includes Coober Pedy but states that there are only 3 buildings on the surface and the rest of the town is underground.

YoYo
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
I hail from Perth.

Coming from the US the last thing you probably want to see is Another Big City.

Australia Zoo is a must see. Steve Irwin and family have created a lasting legacy for all of us to enjoy. The passion is obvious when you are there.

So base based on the above I would focus on the states of Queensland and Wesetern Australia. Both states have good reefs (great Barrier in far orth Qld and the Ningaloo in WA). The Margaret river region and the south west in general of WA is a great place to experience, wine tasting, cheesmaking art and craft cottage industries, also, some fantastic nature stuff like the treetop walk down walpole way.

The local state tourism websites have an abundance of information.
http://www.tourism.wa.gov.au/Pages/welcome_to_tourism_western_australia.aspx

http://www.australia.com/destinations/states/wa.aspx?

http://www.tq.com.au/

Good luck and Bon Voyage! :cool:

Bruce K
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks, this is getting us some great ideas.

Keep 'em coming, please.

BK

boneman
12-31-2009, 03:17 AM
I meant to say Hunter Valley. Margaret River on of the stops on our trip in February. Only problem we found with Coffs Harbor was finding decent accomodation. We stayed at the Novatel, one of the worst experiences I've had on any continent. Dinner at Cafe Fiasco and brekkie at the Foreshore Cafe made up for the poor service at the hotel.

Yeah, Barossa Valley's on my list. Have to go to Adelaide and visit the former barmaids from my local in London :) We went up into Yarra Valley when staying in Melbourne. No end to wine in Australia. Australia's just plain big. Best tour I ever heard of Australia was years ago when one of the PA's father and his business partner flew commercial from NYC to Sydney and then chartered a corporate jet for two or three weeks. Needless to say the budget was not a big issue. Unlike a co-worker from my NYC days who took a one week honeymoon and the only thing he saw was Ayers Rock. If I add up travel time, etc. probably not the smartest management of money or time. Sorry mate but Ayers Rock is still not on my list although like all things in life, I'll look back and wonder.

boneman
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Sorry about the thread drift. Going down for a week in February from Singapore. Staying a few nights in Perth, then two in Margaret River and two in Denmark. Will take in Rottnest Isle when in Perth and also check out Freemantle. Margaret River plan will be eating and drinking. Will use Denmark as a base, taking in the Treetop Walk and other things the area has to offer. I'll assume schools back in session during the first full week of February. Any restaurant recommendations for Perth/Freemantle, Margaret River and Denmark would be appreciated.

Climb01742
12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
work has taken me to both new zealand and australia. my most lasting impression is that the aussies are some of the best people on earth. so friendly, so laid back, such a good take on life (plus, they actually like americans.) my two cents is: australia is a big place. it would be like trying to see america in two weeks. so i might give you the same advice i'd give someone visiting america: pick a part of australia and dig deeper, experience it more richly in two weeks than try to go too many places.

i might, though, think about just going to new zealand. i don't mean to knock australia by this comment, but new zealand is one of the most spectacular places i've ever seen. in some ways, the entire world--geographically speaking--is represented in one country. almost every kind of natural beauty can be found on either the north or south island. there is something a bit less built-up about new zealand, too. the outdoors feels more raw, unspoiled. with far fewer people, NZ is nature unbound.

truth is, you'll have a great time in either country. for me, i found the people spectacular in australia and the landscape (more) spectacular in NZ.