PDA

View Full Version : Saddles

Jim Braley
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Has anyone used the Selle Italia SLC Gel Flow Saddle and if so comments would be appreciated. I am currently using the Fizik Aliente which is a great saddle. My physician has recommended using a cutout saddle due to a medical condition. I tried the the Selle Italia Pro Link Gel Flow without success at all. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Ti Designs
12-29-2009, 08:59 AM
My suggestion is to find a shop that has a saddle test program. What I think about a saddle and your results have nothing in common...

jmc22
12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
The biggest problem you will find is the Fizik Aliente has a rounded seating surface whereas most of the other saddles on the market will be flat in shape.
I agree with the post above, see if you can find a shop that will allow you to try before you buy.
I switched over from the Fizik Aliente for the same reason as you - cut out area, and I ended up trying the SLR Gel before going with with the Flight Gel

cmg
12-29-2009, 09:22 AM
previous poster stated it. the Fizik Aliente has a rounded seating surface while the Selle Italia SLC Gel Flow Saddle is a flat top. If you like the Aliente then you need to find a rounded top with a slot. Also the fizik saddle is wider than the SLC. I'm not a fan of gel saddles, prefer foam. try and buy on eBay, it's the cheapest way if you don't an LBS that will you try different ones.

chuckred
12-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I noticed that Neuvation now sells what looks like clones of popular saddles (there's one that looks suspiciously just like an Aliante). Might be a good way to try different shapes and styles - they're much less $$ than name brand. But, anyone know if they are similar other than shape?

DaveS
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I used one for a bit, but the saddle softened up after ~5k miles, and became much less comfortable (I'm 155 lbs, btw). Heard similar things from a couple of riding buddies as well. You might want to take a look at the specialized toupe or alias if you're looking for a flat top saddle without too much padding.

Dave

happycampyer
12-29-2009, 10:05 AM
The SLC Gel Flow and the Prolink Gel Flow are very similar in shape, cushioning, etc., except that the Prolink is a little wider (130mm vs. 143mm) and at least in theory is designed more for comfort. If you didn't like the Prolink, I would be surprised if you liked the SLC Gel Flow.

As others have said, saddle comfort is a very personal thing. A saddle that I can ride on for hours you might not be able to stand for 5 mins, and vice versa. Others saddles for you to consider in that category (i.e., with cutouts designed to relieve pressure) are Specialized (which come in different widths), Selle SMP and ISM. I personally don't find that the cutouts make much of a difference—for me the key is finding a saddle that supports my sit bones so that there is no pressure anywhere else.

If your LBS doesn't have a variety of saddles to demo, Competitive Cyclist had a great demo program, but very few saddles in the category you are looking at. Other than eBay, the SF classifieds is a great way to pick up a saddle, try it and resell it if you don't like it. There's always someone like SoCalSteve (or me) selling off a dozen or so rejected saddles at great prices.

SoCalSteve
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM
The SLC Gel Flow and the Prolink Gel Flow are very similar in shape, cushioning, etc., except that the Prolink is a little wider (130mm vs. 143mm) and at least in theory is designed more for comfort. If you didn't like the Prolink, I would be surprised if you liked the SLC Gel Flow.

As others have said, saddle comfort is a very personal thing. A saddle that I can ride on for hours you might not be able to stand for 5 mins, and vice versa. Others saddles for you to consider in that category (i.e., with cutouts designed to relieve pressure) are Specialized (which come in different widths), Selle SMP and ISM. I personally don't find that the cutouts make much of a difference—for me the key is finding a saddle that supports my sit bones so that there is no pressure anywhere else.

If your LBS doesn't have a variety of saddles to demo, Competitive Cyclist had a great demo program, but very few saddles in the category you are looking at. Other than eBay, the SF classifieds is a great way to pick up a saddle, try it and resell it if you don't like it. There's always someone like SoCalSteve (or me) selling off a dozen or so rejected saddles at great prices.

I know this may sound very strange, but I am completely out of rejected saddles. And, for the most part, I am completely out of selling ANY saddles. I found one that worked and I have a few (extra) ones as well.

All is well in the world.

Steve

quattro
12-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I know this may sound very strange, but I am completely out of rejected saddles. And, for the most part, I am completely out of selling ANY saddles. I found one that worked and I have a few (extra) ones as well.

Steve

Steve, I have read many of your saddle threads and taken your advise on the Selle Italia Max Flite, but I don't recall which saddle you settled on, is it a Brooks Swallow? Also, can you provide any feedback on any of the Selle SMP saddles, looking for something at least 150mm wide, like the Avant.

Thanks,
quattro

happycampyer
12-29-2009, 06:06 PM

SteveOh, I know you're done now, Steve, but between the two of us we've sold over 20 saddles here (and I even bought a couple of your "cast-off" Aliantes!).

dekindy
12-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Give the Selle Anatomica a try.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/

I sat on one at the NAHBS while talking to the designer/owner. It felt as comfortable as sitting in a chair. It comes standard on one of the Cannondale touring bikes. The service manager at my LBS test rode it and it felt so good he ordered one immediately. I test rode his in the parking lot and it felt very comfortable. I have no personal experience with it for a long ride. A lady riding buddy has one and and absolutely loves it. My Aliante fits perfectly so I have not had the need to try one myself.

You should also look at the Selle SMP. Very expensive but worth it if it gives you all day comfort.

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/default.htm

If at all possible find a demo or guaranteed satisfaction guarantee or borrow a saddle. Buying saddles new and selling them can get very expensive. Also, make sure you read many comments about each saddle you try and all the adjustments and positions that work for various cyclists. It has been my experience, at least with the Aliante, that a slight adjustment can be the difference between nirvana and as my buddy says, an ass hatchet.