PDA

View Full Version : SICI fitter Employment Opportunity in Boston

mvautour
12-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello,

I posted this on the fitting forum but thought the large audience here would be helpful.

We are in the process of hiring a head sales associate and lead fitter in our Boston store. We are interested in candidates with strong teamwork skills and a passion to be the best in the business. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mark

Employment opportunities at Landry's stores

CURRENT OPENINGS: Sales Associate, Boston. Join Landry's Boston Store Team and assist customers with bike sales and fittings. Prior bike-shop experience preferred. Strong people skills, technical capability, and positive attitude required. Full-time position available, but part-time candidates will also be considered. Multiple positions now available at Landry's Boston store.

To inquire about current or future job openings at Landry's Bicycles stores, e-mail your resume and cover letter to general manager Tom Henry:

E-mail: thenry@landrys.com
781 784 4119
Or Boston Store Manager Mark Vautour:
mvautour@landrys.com
617 232-0446

Helpful links:

http://www.landrys.com/...loyment/default.aspx

http://www.landrys.com/whoweare/default.aspx

Smiley
12-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Ti Designs, calling Ti Designs :)

Bruce K
12-28-2009, 08:52 PM
While this is a nice idea a couple of problems exist:

1. Your only posts are to advertise a position
2. You are not a Serotta dealer
3. Posts of this kind are not in compliance with the Users Agreement (see #2)

The threads will be locked and then deleted in the nextx day or two.

BK

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 07:06 AM
I am re-opening this as Mark has contacted me and pointed out he is looking for a SICI trained fitter and has spoken with people form SICI before posting this job listing.

Normally, a non-Serotta dealer (in this case Seven) would not be allowed to advertise but given the economic times and the possible oportunity for someone in need of employment to find a job from a part of this community (SICI) I am going to re-open this thread for now.

BK

Pete Serotta
12-29-2009, 07:45 AM
This is a Serotta program for educating fitters and thus Serotta Related.

Ti Designs
12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Ti Designs, calling Ti Designs :)

I'm not SICI certified, I went to Serotta Fit School before it was called that, so my fitting education is invalid now...

To be perfectly honest, any person who has a strong background in fitting and sales, who doesn't have an abrasive personality, and is willing to work at a bike shop salary would be welcome in any shop in the area (I have at most 2 out of those 3, and Wheelworks keeps me around). There just aren't enough good fitters out there, and many of them have taken jobs as company reps for salary reasons. The ones that stay seem to vanish from one shop and show up at another.

There is a serious need for programs like SICI. As much as I like to poke fun at them from time to time, I find that a real understanding of bike fit is still lacking at most bike shops. Many shops still fit riders on bikes using old rules of thumb that have no science behind them like the line of sight between the handlebar and front hub rule. Last Winter I went to Cervelo's industry seminar called BrainBike. We were asked to bring a bike, as there would be a morning indoor trainer class with some members of the Cervelo Test Team. That morning I was stunned to see how many bike shop people don't fit well on their own bikes.

If this thread has a purpose (other than finding a job for someone), it's to get those of us who do fittings and work in shops to take a look at what our staff knows about fitting. At BrainBike the Cervelo Test Team never showed up for that trainer session. Most of the people there didn't see the point in riding their bikes without them, so they didn't. I saw it as a chance to get a workout in before class, and it being January I did my standard pedal stroke workout. A number of people from other shops asked a bunch of questions about what I was doing and why - they want to know. These are people who work in shops which should put in the investment in sending them to SICI or Slowtwitch or one of the other fit programs. The past two years I've run indoor pedal stroke programs at my shop. The program starts with how the rider fits on the bike and then covers how and when the muscles are used within the pedal stroke - you can't seperate the two. I've had a number of staff members ask if they could take the class. Classes filling up and schedule conflicts have prevented this so far, but I'm going to make a effort to see that it happens this winter.

Thanks Mark!

Smiley
12-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Ti Designs said

"I'm not SICI certified, I went to Serotta Fit School before it was called that, so my fitting education is invalid now..."

I am in the same boat so what happens to my $1500 clams that I paid to become a serotta fitter ;)

Please don't tell the many many clients that I have done fits for that these fits are not valid :banana:

Ahneida Ride
12-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Fitting is not just a science, it's an art ...

Cultivated over many years experience.

One has to design in how the bike is to ride and the physical
limitations of the rider.

It can't be computer programmed.

Pete Serotta
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I am not educated nor PC correct :crap: sorry

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Which is why you're our favorite Moderator.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :beer:

BK

Cantdog
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Mark is a super cool guy, anyone would be lucky to work with and for him.

tv_vt
12-29-2009, 02:46 PM
How would someone go about getting SICI certified? Could someone working a full-time job be able to do it? How much does it cost? Do you go to Saratoga to take the training?

Thanks,

T

Bruce K
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Follow the link from Serotta's main page or contact Kathy Krumme (see her post in the Bike Fit forum)

BK

quattro
12-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Mark is a super cool guy, anyone would be lucky to work with and for him.

I second that!

Smiley
12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
How would someone go about getting SICI certified? Could someone working a full-time job be able to do it? How much does it cost? Do you go to Saratoga to take the training?

Thanks,

T

if you would like to know contact me off line for the skinny and u may need to have Pete front you a loan for one of those fancy new sizing cycles, Pete knows how much they cost and that is a good thing for my old red one :)

mvautour
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Hello,

Thanks for all the help and humor. We've been lucky to have some great responses. We've filled the position and look forward to serving the Boston community in 2010.

Thanks again,
Mark