PDA

View Full Version : Be Still My Quivering Heart! . . .

BumbleBeeDave
02-28-2005, 01:32 PM
I want to buy this one and it's not even REMOTELY near my size!

BBDave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7138600848&rd=1

bostondrunk
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Actually, if we size you up according to French fit, it may be just right!!! :p :beer: :banana:

Bruce K
02-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Mmmm....20th Anniversary frame.....

That or the Coors Light team bike.

But when you ride a 53X53 almost nothing on e-Bay is going to fit.

BK

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I could ride that one? hmmm. . . .would I get (receive?) a divorce. . . thanks dave

Jason

IXXI
02-28-2005, 02:15 PM
WOW! and it is remotely my size. damn you!

(my bid is in!)

drool drool drool

BumbleBeeDave
02-28-2005, 02:30 PM
. . . Stay away from me! I'm just the messenger! And besides, I'm already covered with my OWN drool! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Keith A
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
But when you ride a 53X53 almost nothing on e-Bay is going to fit.
Hey Bruce -- This isn't a 53x53, but it's close. Check out this eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7138111032&rd=1)

Kirk Pacenti
02-28-2005, 03:36 PM

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I know I cant get this- but I sure hope someone here does- that frame is one of the best I have ever seen

Jason

Keith A
02-28-2005, 03:48 PM
This really is a nice one, check out this seat lug cluster....
http://i8.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/87/15/e1_12_sb.JPG

Bruce K
02-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Keith;

I saw that one but with an Ottrott St and a Concours in the "stable", a Legend is not something I want.

IF I buy another Serotta it will be either a cross frame or if I ever trip across a Colorado AL I think that would be a cool bike to own as a "vintage Serotta"

BK

Kevin
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
I already have Serotta working on finding the spec sheet. I have been e-mailing the seller and have his hand measurements. It appears to be my size. If Serotta verifies the measurements, the game is on. Since I have given up fundraising on this forum, along with my promises to match all contributions, I think I may have enough money to compete for the purchase. If the frame fits, and I am lucky enough to purchase the frame, I will bring it to Owner's Weekend.

Kevin

Climb01742
02-28-2005, 04:40 PM
that is, without a doubt, one of the loveliest frames i've ever seen. please let someone on this forum win it. good luck to everyone bidding. i wish i was taller. :beer:

Kevin
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM
that is, without a doubt, one of the loveliest frames i've ever seen. please let someone on this forum win it. good luck to everyone bidding. i wish i was taller. :beer:

Climb,

Have you thought about purchasing platform riding shoes? They were all the rage at Studio 54. Oh oh, I think I just gave away my age. :beer:

Kevin

Keith A
02-28-2005, 04:44 PM
One word of eBay advise -- since this auction still has six days till it ends, I would hold off bidding on this one until the very end. Otherwise, you will drive the price up. Now this is great for the seller, but not so good for all you long legged folks who want to add this one to their stable.

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Climb,

Have you thought about purchasing platform riding shoes? They were all the rage at Studio 54. Oh oh, I think I just gave away my age. :beer:

Kevin

these are nice

jason

Kevan
02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
This bike looks too much like the one I rode this past weekend.

Ahneida Ride
02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Ben, are you out there ????

This is a stellar beauty .... Ya gotta make more of theses !!!!

WOW..... Even E-Richie has got to be impressed.

I awestruck ! :D

Kirk Pacenti
02-28-2005, 04:56 PM

hypnos
02-28-2005, 04:58 PM
.... to my size, but a 60 ST is the tallest I can get myself over. Beautiful frame.

BumbleBeeDave
02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
. . . What have I started? :eek:

Maybe I should send the seller a bill for my "services?" . . . :rolleyes:

BBDave

Kevin
02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
I see that Davetspokane is the current high bidder. Could that be our Dave Thompson from Spokane, Washington. If we let him win, he is going to put one of those forum bananas on it. Somebody better step up to the plate and save that frame from banana Dave. :beer:

I am staying out of the bidding until I get verification on the specs.

Kevin

pale scotsman
02-28-2005, 06:03 PM
The pale one eyeballed this auction @ 7:55am cst and dang if he didn't see the magic words "buy it now", cause holy crap it woulda been mine. Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine. Did I say mine?

But... me thinks this one is going to go for more money than I'm prepared to shell out. Hopefully someone here on the forum gets it, cause it needs a good home.

M_A_Martin
02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Hmmm....

There was a 20 year anniversary bike hung with 15 year anniversary Shimano in the classifieds a bit a go...beautiful bike. I've seen it in person...

I forget what size it was...

Do you guys just get excited when a frame this beautiful is this cheap?

Just wondering.

;)

Keith A
02-28-2005, 07:32 PM
...and Dave got so excited that he out bid himself :D

shinomaster
02-28-2005, 08:36 PM
boring paint job! :fight:

IXXI
02-28-2005, 08:36 PM
pale:

out of morbid curiosity... what was the 'buy it now' price when you first saw it?

this one's gonna be fun to watch!

pale scotsman
02-28-2005, 08:44 PM
pale:

out of morbid curiosity... what was the 'buy it now' price when you first saw it?

this one's gonna be fun to watch!

That's just it, it wasn't there, no buy it now. Guess I should have worded it a little better, but I'm tellin' you if it was ~ $800 or so it would have been mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.

M_A_Martin
02-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Here's what it would look like built up:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4215

Kevin
03-01-2005, 05:35 AM
So built up the owner of the frame previously posted on the forum wanted $4,000 for a similiar bike, that was the wrong size for me. Does that mean that the current frame, which may be in my size, is going to sell in the $2,500 range. I may have to lose my e-bay virginity. Maybe it is time to find out how to bid and what a paypal account is. Then again, I may be too technology challenged to figure this out in 5 days. I am also still waiting for Serotta to verify frame dimensions.

It looks like Dave Thompson is still in the lead on the bidding.

Kevin

M_A_Martin
03-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Well, evidently 4000 wasn't what the market would bear.

:)

You mean you haven't signed up for Paypal yet Kevin? (Takes a day or so for approval...I thought that was totally silly when I first tried to buy something on ebay...what do you MEAN I have to wait three days for you people to ok my application, the auction is ending NOW!)

Kevin
03-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I missed the good old days when cash was king. I guess I better start looking into paypal.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2005, 08:44 AM
. . . can be very convenient. It can also be a pain in the ***. I strongly advise anyone considering becoming a "verified" PayPal customer to first read:

www.paypalsucks.com

If you get "verified" to buy and sell you have to give them unfettered access to a bank account, give up your legal rights in favor of arbitrators chosen by them, and other various servitudinous sacrifices.

I will buy up to my un-"verified" spending limit, but I'll be damed if I'll let them get a finger in my bank account.

BBDave

Keith A
03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
BBDave,

I too was very concerned about giving PayPal access to my bank account. So I setup up a separate bank account that I use for my on-line transactions. I never keep more than a couple hundred dollars in this account. I have enough money in there for small transactions, but have to deposit money into the account for bigger purchases. This way if my bank account was compromised and someone gained access to my account, there wouldn't be much there for them to take --- thus minimizing my losses.

Just my 2˘.

Climb01742
03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
keith a, you smart.

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2005, 09:50 AM
This seemed to be the preferred suggested method of dealing with this from the paypalsucks.com site. If I were to decide to get "verified" this is definitely the only way I would do it. But the site also raises other questions bout various rights you give up when becoming "verified" with PayPal.

On their bulletin board there were various stories from disillusioned users about PayPal's reasons for refusing to give them their money from sales and/or freezing their accounts for vague reasons and giving them no recourse. The worst of which seemed to be their habit of freezing EVERY account associated with any account that had possibly engaged in fraudulent activity. So if you had sold something through PayPal to another member who turned out to be engaging in fraudulent sales themselves, PayPal would, in effect, seize YOUR account contents because you were "associated" with the fraudulent user--even though the extent of your connection with them was to unsuspectingly sell them something in a legitimate transaction weeks or months before.

The other main complaint seemed to be their totally arrogant attitude in any dispute. Have a problem with them? They will ignore you until you go away--because they can do so and get away with it.

BBDave

Keith A
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Dave,

I haven't checked out the website you mentioned, but have heard some anecdotal evidence of the PayPal issues. They are the "big" guy (especially now that they have merged with eBay) and it does take a lot for the little guy to win. Additionally, it peeves me a bit that both eBay and PayPal get their cut of your auction since they are one in the same. And PayPal explicitly states that you can't charge the buyer to cover the PayPal fee.

The other minor thing I do to try and avoid any loss of funds is it that I immediately transfer any money received via PayPal into my bank account. In the unlikely event that my PayPal account was frozen, there would be little to no money in my PayPal account that would be tied up and unusable.

I guess this is the price we pay for living in an instamatic society. However, it has made the quick transfer of funds much easier between individuals -- something that didn't exist before. You can even pay an individual with your credit card if you so desire -- this was certainly much more difficult before PayPal came along.

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2005, 11:02 AM
. . . all the account juggling you would have to do to minimize your exposure to their whims might make it not worth the trouble.

Have you found it is worth it? Does making the PayPal payment option available to bidders do you that much good?

I have found that as a buyer PayPal just makes it too easy to spend the money on impulse--which is probably exactly what it's supposed to do!

BBDave

Keith A
03-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Dave,

I haven't found the extra "work" to be an issue at all. However, I don't often make large purchases that require me to make a trip to the bank to deposit the funds.

The benefits of PayPal as a buyer are...
(1) It is nice to have items shipped sooner as the seller can be paid quickly.
(2) Opened up some auctions that only accept PayPal
(3) It is much more convenient to just make the payment with a click of the mouse, rather than going to bank or post office to get a money order. This alone compensates for any trips made to deposit funds to my “PayPal” bank account.

I personally haven't felt that having PayPal to be more enabling of making impulse purchases. I'm pretty methodical in my buying habits, and rarely make any purchase on a whim.

As a seller, I haven't noticed any significant advantage to having PayPal as an option. But I guess it isn't really possible for me to recognize if there were any issues, as I have been using PayPal since the time that they started becoming an acceptable form of payment.

Big Dan
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Paypal offers big advantages and even with the security concerns you got to believe that there's no turning back. The same as ATM's and direct deposit, now I don't even go to the bank anymore..... :) Who remembers cashing checks on friday to have enough money for the weekend... :crap:
Like everything you got to be aware of what's going on with your accounts and check them often..also be aware of the crooks trying to get you information via email.... :no:

Tony Edwards
03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Wowza! It doesn't get much nicer than this. Here's hoping Dave or another forum member ends up with the bike . . .

Kevin
03-02-2005, 05:46 AM
Well I have lost my e-bay and paypal virginity. I now have a paypal account and have tossed my hat in the ring on the 20th anniversary frame. I really did not want to start bidding until the last minute. But considering that it took me half an hour to get the paypal account opened, I thought it maybe better to get the glitches out of the way with a "trial" bid. When I discovered on the "trial" bid that you had to link your paypal account to your e-bay account before they would accept a bid, I was glad that I did not wait to the last minute to place my bid. Well I'll lurk on e-bay until the 11th hour and see what happens.

Kevin

dave thompson
03-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Kevin: Welcome to the "club". I think you might be in for a wild ride.

Kevin
03-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Is there any other kind?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2005, 06:48 AM
. . . you never know when the BBSniper is going to take a shot at you at the very. Last. Second. ;)

BBDave

Kevin
03-02-2005, 07:57 AM
You have to just laugh. I make my first bid on e-bay and less than an hour later I receive this e-mail. Maybe I should be a nice guy and let Dave buy the 20th anniversary frame referenced in the e-mail for only $800. I assume that this is standard spam operating procedure on e-bay.

Kevin

Dear kevingary,

Don't Reply At This Message To Contact the eBay Member please copy this message and send it in this e-mail address : bibilica_mik@yahoo.com If you are interested in this product please contact me in this e-mail address : bibilica_mik@yahoo.com Hello I saw you are interested in buying a SEROTTA 20th ANNIVERSARY COLORADO CUSTOM 61x57 Item number: 7138600848 on Ebay auctions. I have one same item for sale at the price of 800 USD handling ,shipping and insurance fees are included .If you are interested in buying it please contact me as soon as possible for more details. I will gladly answer your questions. If you are not interested please excuse me for bothering you, if you are a serious buyer please contact me and we can discuss a deal. A quick answer will be more then appreciated , If you want to buy this product please copy this message and send it to me. Best regards!!!

To respond to this eBay member go to:
http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=piticiilumata&frm=-1&iid=-1&de=off&redirect=0&contactsubmit=Contact+Member
Thank you,
piticiilumata

dirtdigger88
03-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Those snipper programs are the way to go. . . some of them even have a money back guarantee if you dont win what you want

Jason

Tom
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I was in Mexico once and some guy sold me the skull of Pancho Villa. I thought that was pretty cool until a couple of weeks later on the way back home I go through that same town and see the guy out there, selling the skull of Pancho Villa. I go over and point out he sold me that just a couple of weeks ago. He asks to see it, I bring it out and he says "See, this one I'm selling is much smaller. It's the skull of Pancho Villa when he was just a boy!"

Ho ho!

Sandy
03-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Kevan bought about 25 of them and gives them out as birthday and holiday gifts.

Cute story.

Heading out,

Sandy

Keith A
03-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Kevin,

"Welcome to the jungle
We've got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want
Honey, we know the names
We are the people that can find
Whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey
We got your disease"

Regarding the unsolicited e-mail, I would suggest you contact eBay with this information. This type of contact is explicitly against eBay policy. I know there are a lot of scammers out there and it often seems like this is a loosing battle, but if everyone reported the scams they came across -- maybe (just maybe) there would be less of them out there.

yeehawfactor
03-02-2005, 11:19 AM
atleast as cool? i'd say so:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=7138593412&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Kevin
03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Now that I have been foolish enough to purchase this frame, any suggestions on components. I want to give it a classic look. The components can either be from the appropriate era, 1992, or be modern components with a classic look. Any suggestions?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-06-2005, 09:22 PM
. . . you get that finder’s fee check in the mail to me right now since I originally tipped everyone off to this auction! Either that, or I will have to send my “enforcers,” Kevan and Sandy, to, er, “talk” with you about it! ;)

BBDave, aka “The Bike-Father”

Kevin
03-07-2005, 04:58 AM
. . . you get that finder’s fee check in the mail to me right now since I originally tipped everyone off to this auction! Either that, or I will have to send my “enforcers,” Kevan and Sandy, to, er, “talk” with you about it! ;)

BBDave, aka “The Bike-Father”

Do you take paypal?

Kevin

Climb01742
03-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Now that I have been foolish enough to purchase this frame, any suggestions on components. I want to give it a classic look. The components can either be from the appropriate era, 1992, or be modern components with a classic look. Any suggestions?

Kevin

kevin,

first, CONGRATULATIONS!! a gorgeous frame. and i'm glad a forum-pal got it. well done. ok, on to suggestions:

i'd put as much silver stuff on as you could...seatpost, stem, bar, rims...silver, silver, silver.

i can't remember if you're a shimano or campy guy, but i'd suggest the most modern "old school" stuff...meaning...DA9 or campy without any carbon bits (04 chorus maybe?)...stuff that works really well but doesn't look too modern...like the DA10 crank or campy's carbon everywhere.

bar has to be old school round curve...in silver...maybe nitto noodle?

hardest choice might be saddle and tape colors...white for both could be very classic and cool...or maybe red for both for some contrast?

good luck and enjoy! you have a thing of beauty there!

William
03-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Dear kevin,

Don't Reply At This Message To Contact the Serotta Forum Member please copy this message and send it in this e-mail address : Williams finders fee@yahoo.com If you are interested in a lower finders fee please contact me in this e-mail address : Williams_finders_fee@yahoo.com Hello I saw you are paying a finders fee to BBDave for a SEROTTA 20th ANNIVERSARY COLORADO CUSTOM 61x57 Item number: 7138600848 on Ebay auctions. I have lower finders fee at the price of lower than what BBDave wants, USD handling ,shipping and insurance fees are included .If you are interested in lower finders fee contact me as soon as possible for more details. I will gladly answer your questions. If you are not interested please excuse me for bothering you, if you are a serious buyer please contact me and we can discuss a deal. A quick answer will be more then appreciated , If you want lower finders fee please copy this message and send it to me. Best regards!!!

PS: NO need to contact BBDave.

William :rolleyes: ;)

Kevin
03-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Dear kevin,

Don't Reply At This Message To Contact the Serotta Forum Member please copy this message and send it in this e-mail address : Williams finders fee@yahoo.com If you are interested in a lower finders fee please contact me in this e-mail address : Williams_finders_fee@yahoo.com Hello I saw you are paying a finders fee to BBDave for a SEROTTA 20th ANNIVERSARY COLORADO CUSTOM 61x57 Item number: 7138600848 on Ebay auctions. I have lower finders fee at the price of lower than what BBDave wants, USD handling ,shipping and insurance fees are included .If you are interested in lower finders fee contact me as soon as possible for more details. I will gladly answer your questions. If you are not interested please excuse me for bothering you, if you are a serious buyer please contact me and we can discuss a deal. A quick answer will be more then appreciated , If you want lower finders fee please copy this message and send it to me. Best regards!!!

William :rolleyes: ;)

The funniest thing I have seen on this forum in a very long time.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2005, 06:43 AM
. . . Kevin, but you will have to wait a bit for Sandy and Kevan. They are busy, ah, “visiting“ William first! I believe they are going to offer him a “deal” he will find it very difficult to refuse! :mad: :mad: :eek: :mad: :mad:

BBDave

Kevin
03-07-2005, 04:42 PM
kevin,

i'd put as much silver stuff on as you could...seatpost, stem, bar, rims...silver, silver, silver.

i can't remember if you're a shimano or campy guy, but i'd suggest the most modern "old school" stuff...meaning...DA9 or campy without any carbon bits (04 chorus maybe?)...stuff that works really well but doesn't look too modern...like the DA10 crank or campy's carbon everywhere.

bar has to be old school round curve...in silver...maybe nitto noodle?

hardest choice might be saddle and tape colors...white for both could be very classic and cool...or maybe red for both for some contrast?

good luck and enjoy! you have a thing of beauty there!

Climb,

We are on the same page. I agree silver is king for this frame. Saddle and tape should be red. I am a Campy guy so I will look at some of their pre-carbon products.

I am having a great week. If the frame is delivered this week I will take it down to the LBS for some shopping and BSing. Not only do I get to BS about the frame, but I take delivery of my car on Weds. So I can also BS about my sedan with 335 HP, 320 torque, 6 speed and AWD. Where is Tim "the Tool man" Taylor when you need him.

I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe being struck by lightning, or even worse Sandy and Kevan knocking on my front door.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
<< . . . or even worse Sandy and Kevan knocking on my front door.>>

Why do you think you haven’t seen them on the forum for several days? They are riding their bikes to your house--and Sandy is navigating! ;)

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

BBDave

Kevin
03-07-2005, 06:20 PM
<< . . . or even worse Sandy and Kevan knocking on my front door.>>

Why do you think you haven’t seen them on the forum for several days? They are riding their bikes to your house--and Sandy is navigating! ;)

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

BBDave

Are they delivering the frame personally?

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2005, 06:23 PM
. . . THAT’S it! They’re, uh, delivering “it” to you personally! . . . VERY personally. Get ready! . . . :mad: :mad: :eek: :mad: :mad:

BBDave

Kevin
03-08-2005, 05:04 AM
. . . THAT’S it! They’re, uh, delivering “it” to you personally! . . . VERY personally. Get ready! . . . :mad: :mad: :eek: :mad: :mad:

BBDave

Does anyone else hear the song from Deliverance? :butt: :help:

Kevin

William
03-08-2005, 05:12 AM
. . . Kevin, but you will have to wait a bit for Sandy and Kevan. They are busy, ah, “visiting“ William first! I believe they are going to offer him a “deal” he will find it very difficult to refuse!

Does anyone else hear the song from Deliverance?

Right now I'm a sittin on the front porch pickin my banjo while Sandy & kevan are stomping up a ho-down storm in the front yar....I mean, ah, teaching me a lesson for BBDave. :rolleyes:

(did that sound ok guy's? I think he bought it. SANDY! For the last time, git that thar lampshade off yer head!!)

William :rolleyes: :)

Kevin
03-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Right now I'm a sittin on the front porch pickin my banjo while Sandy & kevan are stomping up a ho-down storm in the front yar....I mean, ah, teaching me a lesson for BBDave. :rolleyes:

(did that sound ok guy's? I think he bought it. SANDY! For the last time, git that thar lampshade off yer head!!)

William :rolleyes: :)

William,

Tell them that I moved to Alaska.

Kevin

William
03-08-2005, 07:02 AM
;)

William

Kevan
03-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Me and Sans been doin' some thinkin'... :cool:

We think youz is taken advantage of me and him. Youz got us pedaling all over Gibip and for a lousy 10 bucks a hit. Weez decided to come over to your house and go for a little ride to discuss this matter. Sans is thinkin' maybe instead we should get into the cement business...