PDA

View Full Version : Shoe wedges?

madbiker
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
LeMond wedges....
How des one figure out whether or not you need these?
I find one knee does tend to move side to side when pedalling, but not sure how to correct this with the wedges...

Ti Designs
02-28-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm not one to shy away from long answers, but this is one where I couldn't possibly give you enough info to do a good job. I use a laser line from the front to see where the knee is tracking both with almost no resistance and with a lot of resistance, but that's just one thing out of many that I look at, and the answer isn't always wedges. This is best left to a qualified fitter.

Dave
02-28-2005, 02:29 PM
that come with the wedges, it says the most common problem is feet that roll up on the inside an down on the outside. The wedge goes on the side that's up, just opposite of what you might think.

I had the opposite problem with one foot that tilted down on the inside and only 1 shim seems to have improved the problem. I feel nothing different when pedaling. I first tried two shims (as recommended), but it caused knee pain. Just for the heck of it, I put one shim on the the other cleat and new immediately that it was not the thing to do. My shoe felt like it was pressing heavily against the outer edge of my foot.

From my experience, I'd start any correction with only one shim.

duke
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I would be afraid that you might do more harm than good on your own. I have been chasing knee problems off and on for a while and a lot of times what appears to me to be correct is causing more problems. I would find a qualifed fitter and go from there. The "qualified" is the hard part but good references from the members here would be a good place to start.
duke

FATBOY
02-28-2005, 04:21 PM
you have already tried an orthotic or foot bed that supports your arch properly. The problem with a wedge on the outside of the shoe is that it makes a correction for the entire foot, but it is not uncommon that the forefoot and rearfoot can be in need of corrections in opposing directions. (clear as mud?) Many of the knee tracking issues you will encounter are from a flexible arch changing shape during the force of a pedal stroke, so start by limiting this movement.

Matt Barkley
02-28-2005, 06:40 PM
are so 1980s... Aromatherapy is where its at. wink. (Covers up the foot stink while checking valgus / varus)

Ti-Boy
02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I just finished my first ride yesterday with a LeWedge. Definate improvement. I purchased the Fore Foot Measuring Device to determine need. I confess that I couldn't figure out how to use it properly because I got radically different numbers each time. A couple of us tried the device without any luck. So I just put one wedge in for standard varas with good results.