PDA

View Full Version : young lance

r_mutt
12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
somewhat interesting video of lance in texas in his WC year.

http://nos.nl/video/125261-armstrong-reportage-1994.html

spacemen3
12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Cool find. Thanks. :)

LegendRider
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Very cool. Who is the national team guy with Lance and Bauer? Chann McRae maybe?

Kines
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Very cool. Who is the national team guy with Lance and Bauer? Chann McRae maybe?

Yup. Not cuz I know him, but because "Chann McRae" was one of the few words I understood other than "Austin". "Dallas Cowboys", etc...

Thanks for sharing. That's fun to watch, no matter what you think of Lance.

I love the scene where the clerk has no clue who this "runner" is. Funny thing is, it's probably not much less likely for the exact same thing to happen if he to walk into a rural TX convenience store today.

KN

BumbleBeeDave
12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
. . . to these locations today the only thing that would have changed would be the model year cars parked outside these places.

Indeed interesting to watch . . .

BBD

Polyglot
12-26-2009, 08:58 PM
The last words were: Lance Armstrong will return to the Tour de France next year, but not for the GC, but rather to win stages...

learlove
12-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Cool - just some guys who make their living racing bike putting in the miles.

even cooler (in my book) is Steve Bauer. Back before one of the Trump or Dupont races I got to go ride with Steve. He was (is ) such a nice friendly guy. I asked him about sprinting (seeing as that is what I lived for back then). He said the field sprints in the euro races are very diff from the domestic crit ones we were used to. Mostly in europe its about the lead out as the sprint (lead out) starts 30K from the finish. However back when he raced domestic races like Somerville is was about getting position before the last corner.

also notice the bikes/equipment. how cool. no carbon chinola crap, sloping top tube marketing gimmicks. just solid built lugged steel standard geo (available in 1 cm increments, not small/med/large - *** is this McDonalds today) bikes.
Wheels are tubular, pumps are silca frame - no CO2 blaster thingy or strapped on mini me pump.
clothing is simple jersey and bib shorts with a t-shirt underneath. no wind breaker vest dorko coat or nike sweat wicking under armor you gota have this or else you wont perspire correctly BS.
notice also when they stop they get some water and cokes no cytomaz/"Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator", electrolyte drink or 5 dollar packet of energy goo. Apparently back then they new what we should know now - just replace what you sweat out (into your cotton t shirt) with a sugar drink (coke) and a salty/carb snack (chips). No need to spend $$$ on some energy mix or power bar stuff.

end of useless rant

cool video, thanks

learlove
12-26-2009, 09:40 PM
who is the national team guy riding with them? I want to say Jeff Evenshine but he look too small and young to be Jeff.

anyone know?

texbike
12-26-2009, 09:57 PM
This is cool. Thanks for posting! Great scenes and a little SRV for background music. Very nice. :)

It's fun to see the guys go into many of the stops that we stop at on our local group rides and riding the same roads we ride to the Northeast of town.

And BumbleBee Dave is correct-the places really haven't changed much over the past 15 years. The Cele Store and the store in Manor are still there and look the same.

Chann McRae is still in town as well...

Texbike

learlove
12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Chann McRae is still in town as well...

Texbike

man I wasn't even close.

MattTuck
12-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I know many think LA is arrogant. I don't necessarily agree.

I do think that spending time in Texas where less than 1% of the people know you, would be a healthy dose of humility. Just another cyclist.

r_mutt
12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
i have a love/hate relationship with lance. i'm not as polarized as most. i have a lot of respect for him as a rider, and as a personality. having said that, i also hate him as a rider, and his personality can be grating.

the one thing in texas that's changed since that video, is that lance has a slightly bigger home these days.

:p

jasond
12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Anyone notice how much his position has changed. Seems like he was a bit stretched out in 1994 vs today. They have a more recent video on the same site where you can get a good look at his position now.