PDA

View Full Version : Mavic R-Sys

T.J.
12-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Long story short , I have a set (warranty replacement, imagine that). Rode the wheels today on one of my hill routes. I have to admit I love the way these wheels climb. Has anybody put any time in on their post recall Rsys? I think in all honesty I am tryin to talk myself out of keeping them.
Input appreciated.
Thanks ,
TJ

Don
12-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I've put on more than 5,000 miles on R-SYS wheels and find they spin up quickly, ride comfortably and climb what we think are hills here in Florida without any problem.

I was concerned about their sturdiness until the local rep demonstrated the strength of the spokes by literally walking on them to show how strong they really are.

I've read they are not aero enough but for someone who rides between 18-22 they certainly fill my needs. At 1390 grams a pair, they are much lighter and thus quicker than many other wheel sets.

Pete Serotta
12-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I have been part of the MAVIC support group (Bill Davis is the west Mavic Rep) for the past two Ride the Rockies. We have had 20 to 25 pair of R-SYS on demo for both years. There have been Zero problems.

I also mostly ride Mavic K-SLs

I like the way they ride and have just bought a 2010 pair (red hub ones and not the SUPER ones)

T.J.
12-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Like you Pete I love the way they climb, and being 6ft1 and a buck 50 so I am the climber on the team :D. While I can't race them (sponsorship reasons) I can train on them. I may just end up selling them tho as they are to nice IMHO to train on.

SPOKE
12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Got a pair ready to go on a bike. Just have to decide what bike to put them on.....:)

jasond
12-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a pair and have put a couple thousand miles on them. They are indeed not very aero however they climb quite well. I lose about a 1 to 1.5mph when I use them to ride a semi flat route or should I say I gain 1 to 1.5 mph when I use aero wheels. Although, I've hit 51mph with them and they have always felt solid. Don't get me wrong I did sideline them when the news of them failing came out but have since put them back in play.

J

T.J.
12-26-2009, 07:21 PM
I have a pair and have put a couple thousand miles on them. They are indeed not very aero however they climb quite well. I lose about a 1 to 1.5mph when I use them to ride a semi flat route or should I say I gain 1 to 1.5 mph when I use aero wheels. Although, I've hit 51mph with them and they have always felt solid. Don't get me wrong I did sideline them when the news of them failing came out but have since put them back in play.

J

Yeah they aren't very aero at all but I have team wheels for racing http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/girofan/photo-8.jpg

so I will probably sale or trade these as I just can't bring myself to use these as training wheels

Charles M
12-26-2009, 09:58 PM
There are loads of em out there and folks who've not had a problem with the new version.

And then there are those that have.

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/archive/images/1wheel.jpg

Personally I would not ride them, nor would I sell or even give them away.

I don't find them particularly better than several wheels in "climbing", they are not a more comfortable wheel than most and the aero properties / holding speed are simply bad.

That coupled with the wheels history make these virtually the last wheels I would ride if given scores of other choices.

Mavic make wheels I really like. The Carbones that came on the Cdale are pretty dang nice... But I would not ride Rsys.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2009, 08:08 AM
There are loads of em out there and folks who've not had a problem with the new version.

And then there are those that have.

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/archive/images/1wheel.jpg

Personally I would not ride them, nor would I sell or even give them away.

I don't find them particularly better than several wheels in "climbing", they are not a more comfortable wheel than most and the aero properties / holding speed are simply bad.

That coupled with the wheels history make these virtually the last wheels I would ride if given scores of other choices.

Mavic make wheels I really like. The Carbones that came on the Cdale are pretty dang nice... But I would not ride Rsys.

hear, hear. I would not risk my face on Mavic's design. The pictured one is a post recalled front wheel, one of the 'new' ones. Search Ben Delaney's(Velonews) story about this.

spiderman
12-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I have not heard anything that assures
Me that the problem has been fixed.
I can't even bring myself
To box them up for the white elephant
Cycling gift exchange we are planning to host!

zap
12-27-2009, 09:44 AM
I could not and still do not know of any reason to consider purchasing r-sys.

As with all Mavic wheels-cheap hub design that does not always hold up.
R-sys are not aero.
R-sys are not as light as other designs.

Tobias
12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I've read they are not aero enough but for someone who rides between 18-22 they certainly fill my needs. At 1390 grams a pair, they are much lighter and thus quicker than many other wheel sets.
Quicker as in faster to accelerate? Wheels at 1390 grams are not that light, although their claim of lighter rims "may" allow them to change speed easier. On the other hand when compared to other wheels for climbing total weight is what's most important; not inertia.

Ray
12-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Quicker as in faster to accelerate? Wheels at 1390 grams are not that light, although their claim of lighter rims "may" allow them to change speed easier. On the other hand when compared to other wheels for climbing total weight is what's most important; not inertia.
I think at our level of riding, its mostly about perception and feel, not necessarily reality. I personally consider 1390 pretty light - not Lightweight light, not $5000 light, but pretty damn light. I have three sets of wheels in that range right around 1400. They all feel notably quicker to accelerate than my other wheelsets in the 1600 gram area. And even between them, the Shimano with the carbon rims and alloy hubs feel quicker than the Fulcrums with the carbon hub and alloy rims, even though total wheel weight is within a few grams. Actual speed means nearly nothing to me, but the perception of easier to spin up means a lot in the rolling and undulating terrain I ride in. Lots of hills, but few of them are long grinds, lots of shorter steeper hills with many changes in grade, where the perception of a quick spin up makes a big difference in enjoyment.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you at all, just clarifying why I think wheels in that weight range are just fine.

-Ray