PDA

View Full Version : Cranks: DA 7800 vs FSA?

madbiker
02-28-2005, 10:22 AM
DA7800 vs FSA team or superlights.

Which do you prefer and why??!

rcscott
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I cannot fairy make comment as I don't own either. But have rung around a lot on these over the last week as just going through the same dilema and from what I have gleaned it seems that the durace is the much better purchase for the price, its pretty much the same weight with similar or better rigidity. Not the trick carbon look but still very nice. Thats what I am going to get anyway :-)

Russ

Dave
02-28-2005, 10:52 AM
To make a valid comparison, shouldn't you compare products with the same basic design?

FSA has both integrated crank/BB models, like the K-Force MegaExo and models with ISIS spindles and outboard bearings.

One warning for shimano 10 users, some models of FSA compact cranks, aren't working well with the extra narrow shimano 10 chain. A change in the big ring ramps is in the works.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=21&pid=153

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=tech&cid=79

FSA comments on the 50T ring:

First, the new 50 tooth outer ring was not released to improve up-shifting (as someone erroneously posted on the “intraweb”). In reality the tooth shapes and shifting profiles weren’t quite as compatible with Shimano 10 chains as we had planned. The chain was being dropped at to sharp of an angle causing the chain to fall past the inner ring. This issue has only come up with Shimano’s 10 speed setup, and has not occurred at all with nine speed or Campy’s 10 drive trains. For the record, the difference in the ring is very subtle. A small engraving found on nearly all of the revised rings says “110bcd/10” whereas the non S-10 rings say “110bcd” only.

Second, proper up shifting with a compact drive train is going to require much more accurate adjustment of the front derailleur since you are working at the limits of the system. We have had some reports that Campy’s compact specific front derailleur works better; but we have also heard from some shops that they can’t tell any difference between the two. Across the board we have found that raising the front derailleur 2-3mm higher up the seat tube improves the up-shifting performance. I hope that clears a couple things up.

The last comment I would like to make is in regards to the Mega EXO bottom bracket. The bottom brackets found on the K-Force, SLK and Gossamer crank sets are manufactured by us – they do not use a Shimano bottom bracket. This bottom bracket system could, in no way, be effecting your shifting since the bottom bracket is an integrated part of the crank set designed ONLY to be used together.

Ken Robb
02-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I replaced my DA 10spd cranks with FSA compact Mega-Exo Carbon and it shifts just fine. I think the change in rings must have been done to these latest production versions.

madbiker
02-28-2005, 11:58 AM
It says in their FAQ tha they work fine with both Shimano and Campy 10.

I think I am really trying to determine which would look better on a carbon frame. As for stiffness, I don't really buy into those comments, as I don't believe any of us are flexing our crankarms.
What about the FSA BB's? Is the Pro ti version OK, or is it a bad idea to use a BB with a ti spindle? Better chance of breaking?

Dave
02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
If it's a looks issue, then by all means go carbon. I've been using FSA Ti ISIS BBs for the last two seasons with no problems, but I'm a flyweight and not a good durability tester. Personally, I'd opt for a an integratd crank or one that is compatible with the mega exo ISIS BB.

marle
02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
I've used both -- the DA is far stiffer.

madbiker
02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
How can you detect a difference in stiffness when none of us are strong enough to make tese things flex???

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
How can you detect a difference in stiffness when none of us are strong enough to make tese things flex???

with thighs like mine I can flex them ;)

jason

Louis
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Jason,

Those are wimpy-looking calf muscles...

Louis

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Jason,

Those are wimpy-looking calf muscles...

Louis

are these any better

dirtdigger88
02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
this any better Louis-

jason

by the way we rode out by you yesterday- the hills are still steep

bfd
02-28-2005, 05:54 PM
OK to change subjects, can anyone recommend a "light" square taper compact crankset? I have a nice phil mag-ti square taper bb that fits shimano cranks. Any "lightweight compact cranks available? I know there's TA Zephyr and Sugino Cospea, both in the $300+ price range, anything else?Thanks.

scottie
02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey there,
I have had both of these cranks and wouldn't go past the DA10 cranks as I snapped the Superlights, though FSA were quite good about it and for a little extra upgraded me to the K-Force Mega EXO cranks, which are pretty light but a tad trickier to dial in, but they look fantastic and go like crazy.
I have the DA on my legend and the FSA on my ottrott, haven't had an issue with either so they are both good... Just avoid the superlights as they have issues, but will replace them without even asking a question!
Regards,
Scott.

PS. I am a bigger guy, and I do break stuff. I'll let you know which breaks first!

jerk
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
OK to change subjects, can anyone recommend a "light" square taper compact crankset? I have a nice phil mag-ti square taper bb that fits shimano cranks. Any "lightweight compact cranks available? I know there's TA Zephyr and Sugino Cospea, both in the $300+ price range, anything else?Thanks.

yeah, there are some nice italian ones that begin with a "p".
jerk