PDA

View Full Version : rapha vs assos

whforrest
12-26-2009, 10:14 AM
another thing on my mind.

I've ridden mostly assos over the last few years and thinking of trying a rapha jersey. since im over 200 pds and feeling the need to branch out does anyone own a little of both?

i used to be a pearl izumi die hard, than i got a great deal on a assos jersey thinking i'd give it a try and i couldn't believe the difference of the materials, etc. I was hooked.

thanks, bill

Pete Serotta
12-26-2009, 10:22 AM
but would like to. Signature Cycle in NYC and Conn has a pretty good stock. The Paul, Lori, and the gang there are great to deal with also.

PETE

mpetry
12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I own many pieces of both Assos and Rapha gear. The current model Assos seems a little too "spiderman/space cadet" in appearance for me. The Rapha stuff is completely different - soft and very comfy. However a lot of their stuff does not appeal either (tweed jacket ? Come on.) The Assos stuff fits tighter. If you're over 200 you'll probably want the XL jersey size.

In my opinion the best thing Rapha makes is the "fixed" sweater. If you can only get on piece, get that.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

jpw
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I own many pieces of both Assos and Rapha gear. The current model Assos seems a little too "spiderman/space cadet" in appearance for me. The Rapha stuff is completely different - soft and very comfy. However a lot of their stuff does not appeal either (tweed jacket ? Come on.) The Assos stuff fits tighter. If you're over 200 you'll probably want the XL jersey size.

In my opinion the best thing Rapha makes is the "fixed" sweater. If you can only get on piece, get that.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

I agree absolutely with your view of Assos styling, buuuuuuuuut.......when you're in it and riding you don't see it yourself so does it really matter? If it feels right then it is right.

Rapha? Umm, not convinced...and probably.. because.. of the hype.

r_mutt
12-26-2009, 02:22 PM
the pockets aren't ideal on the rapha jerseys. i'm used to being able to overstuff my pockets with nylon jerseys. the smartwool doesn't stretch and hold like today's spandex. the rapha pockets are small too. other than that, it feels pretty good and you won't feel too silly when you walk into a place unfamiliar with cycling garb.

Nil Else
12-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I see Fixed Jacket but I don't see "Fixed Sweater" on Rapha site.

I have most of Assos stuff as well and but Rapha's Merino base layers, Club & Cross Jerseys, and Classic soft shell are piquing my interest a bit. I don't really know whether they'd be better than assos. Besides how good they function the major part of what I really like about assos stuff is their fit.

Btw I couldn't quite come up with precisely what it was that I looked like when I have on my red Fugu jacket.. but "spiderman"(!).. that's what it was... thanks. Now I need matching red balaclava in 851 airblock fabric to complete the look. Also, yeah.. it was hard enough gettin used to the spiderman/startrek look... now the retro ironic Sherlock look of some of Rapha stuff... I don't think so for moi.

jimp1234
12-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Can't talk about Rapha jerseys but I just got a Rapha softshell jacket, and it's great. Based on this item I'm considering trying one of their jerseys next year.

Bob Ross
12-26-2009, 03:47 PM
startrek look

I went on a group ride last February where 3 of us showed up in red Assos 851 jackets, and the running joke was that we looked like an "away team" from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

rustychain
12-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Assos in the warm weather and Rapha when it's cold

jlwdm
12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I have Rapha and Assos products and really like both companies. Great fitting jerseys from Assos and Rapha.

The Assos jersey is tighter as I wear an XL, but a L in Rapha.

Really like the Rapha bibs, jerseys, wool socks, hat and winter collar.

Assos have an like the bibs, jerseys, arm and knee warmers and the early winter gloves with the liners are a great combo.

Jeff

dixiesdad
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I have become a RAPHAHOLIC this last 12 months. I have the winter jersey, the shorts, a couple of jerseys, and due to my hampsten/moots I have the hampsten commerative jersey which is awesome. when I go out for a ride now I always reach for my rapha stuff. I was into pearl izumi but the rapha stuff far outweights the assos and pearl stuff.

quansoo
12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I have Assos bibs and Rapha sportwool jerseys. Fit and function of both are great. I very much like the feel of the sportwool.

In my view, both companies make great products. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

JeffS
12-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Assos over Rapha for tights/bibs
Ibex over Rapha for wool jerseys

The other stuff is a toss-up.

Nil Else
12-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I went on a group ride last February where 3 of us showed up in red Assos 851 jackets, and the running joke was that we looked like an "away team" from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The black patches on the shoulder and black collar really give that Star Trek look. Unfortunately.. I don't own 851 jacket :)

Ozz
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
..3 of us showed up in red Assos 851 jackets, and the running joke was that we looked like an "away team" from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
did you make it back from the ride OK....the "red" guys didn't have much luck with the alien encounters.

;)

jblande
12-27-2009, 05:21 AM
In my experience, the functionality of assos products is superior! I have not tried everything from Rapha, but enough for me to decide that I prefer assos. rapha does look better, if that is the deciding factor.

JMerring
12-27-2009, 07:23 AM
i agree that some assos looks a little too space-cadety, and rapha definitely wins the style award, but if function is more important than form, then assos wins hands down. also, assos is built to last. assos costs a fortune but if you have the $$ is well worth it.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
another thing on my mind.

I've ridden mostly assos over the last few years and thinking of trying a rapha jersey. since im over 200 pds and feeling the need to branch out does anyone own a little of both?

i used to be a pearl izumi die hard, than i got a great deal on a assos jersey thinking i'd give it a try and i couldn't believe the difference of the materials, etc. I was hooked.

thanks, bill

http://www.woolistic.com

jpw
12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Gore Bike Wear has its moments for practical needs,....more off road than on though. I have a pair of Gore waterproof shorts for my CX rides and they are great.

bluesea
12-27-2009, 11:53 AM
The Rapha Swift looks like the classiest jersey which comes in a color that won't work in a Hawaiian climate. May have to order one to hang next to my '95 Assos national jersey. On the other hand the Assos Climajet vest with its ultra-lightweight storable, paper thin construction and an almost jersey tight fit, is the most outstanding warm weather rain gear ever produced.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4265/dsc00533j.jpg

oldguy00
12-27-2009, 02:34 PM
For those who like Assos, WCP has a good sale on, 35% coupon - DEC935
Works for Assos, just ordered some.

BCS
12-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Read the fine print on home page. Assos is excluded

oldguy00
12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I ordered bib knickers yesterday and it worked fine.
I just went to the website and put a pair of assos shorts in my cart and went to checkout, put the code in, and it accepted it, 35% off!

BCS
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I would call them. My cart showed 35 off on hed wheels. I called to confirm and was told that they were not eligible. Maybe you will get lucky

Kirk007
12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I have and use both; both have strength and weaknesses. I can't agree with the "assos is superior for function" "rapha is for style" etc view; preferences on things like kit are highly personal and there is no substitute for ones' own personal experience. Example: the climajet that i had was junk. It was good for about 20 minutes in anything other than a slight mist and the coating crumbled off in three seasons - neither function nor value. Yet I know many folks swear by it. Like I said - personal choices.

whforrest
12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I just saw more photos of the assos mille line of jerseys. i am excited. these jerseys are designed and cut for larger shoulder type riders. i'm all over the white color with the new designed cycling cap.

also in the debate i really think that both rapha and assos have great form and function. I like the look of both.

the tipping point: I was looking at the rapha winter gloves and realized it doesn't come close the the als assos system.

good viewpoints from both though. thanks, bill

rockdude
12-29-2009, 08:02 AM
For those who like Assos, WCP has a good sale on, 35% coupon - DEC935
Works for Assos, just ordered some.

Who is WCP? got me on that one...

jlwdm
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
World Cycling Productions.

Jeff