PDA

View Full Version : Park CT-4.2/CT-11 Chain Tools with Campy 11

sgmidf
12-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Happy Holidays to all. I was wondering if anyone's had the chance to use the Park master chain tool CT-4.2/CT-11 combo with the Campy 11 speed chain? I understand that it was designed to work but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually used it.
Thanks

rustychain
12-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Used it for the first time yesterday. Simple and should last longer then me as its way overbuilt. It aligned the chain and pin perfectly and the peening tool is simple. Instructions were OK if sparse. I paid less then $85 for both so that's lots cheaper then the Campy tool. If I had money to burn I would still get the Campy tool, not as it works better so much as it's Campy ;)

sgmidf
12-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Will the Campy tool work on 8,9, 10 speed chains also? Or is it specisically made for the 11 speed only?

Dave
12-26-2009, 05:06 PM
The Campy tool only fits 11 speed chains. Just about any ordinary chain tool can be used to break an 11 speed chain, but older models may not properly support the chain. My old CT-3 would touch the inner plate against the U-shaped guide, rather than support the back side of the chain by the outer plate, as intended. Filing the U-shaped guide thinner fixed that.

All that said, I have the Campy tool, bought for $140 from the UK, back when the exchange rates were more favorable.

I still prefer to use a master link so I can take the chain off for cleaning. The KMC missing link, made for the Campy 5.9mm chain works OK.