PDA

View Full Version : Hed Comparisons

dumbod
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
I'd like your input on the three 'normal' Hed wheels (Kermesse, Bastogne, Ardennes). After some bad experiences with Mavics and Bontragers, I have been using hand-builts with CK hubs and OP rims. Those are great wheels but I get bored so I've become interested in the Hed wheels.

I'm hard on wheels, in the summer I weigh about 195; it's been a good holiday season so I weigh somewhat more than that now and I tend to mash. I don't race but I do a fair amount of mileage (150-200 miles a week).

So my questions are this: do the C2 rims make that much of a difference, are the hubs equal to third-party (WI, CK, Tune, etc.) and what is the difference, other than price, in the three wheelsets.

Thanks.

Bruce K
12-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Basics:

Hubs are virtually bullet-proof. I ride at about 204# and use Bastognes in the heavier build for cross.

I have a set of Ardennes on my Bedford.

Rims are lighter as you progress through the series. But the hubs are all virtually the same.

The C2 rims run lower pressures and ride smoother than narrower rims (at least for me). Tires seem to wear longer with the more rounded profile.

I haven't seen or ridden the Kermesses but I have 3 sets of Bastognes, 2 for my cross bike and one built with a Power Tap hub for training, plus the Ardennes.

Any other questions, just ask.

BK

dave thompson
12-25-2009, 10:29 AM
At 195# fighting weight, I love my Bastognes! With only 600 or so miles before the season ended I can't speak for the durability (BruceK is the HED guy here) but I really like how the wheels improved the handling and ride quality of my bike. Lower tire pressure allows for a smoother ride and the wider C2 rims widening the tire contact patch makes the bike feel very sure footed. I'm planning to buy a second pair for another bike.

572cv
12-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I rode the midrange bastognes this year (ardennes= lightest, kremese=most robust) and found them to be wonderful. Strong, smooth. Look and ride as good as new after 2500 miles or so. My thought is that they are a pretty darn good value. I'd like to get the ardennes or another set of bastognes, and shift these to the cross bike next year. I think the hubs are very good indeed.

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2009, 11:21 AM
He's the Godfather of the HED Mafia! :D

BBD

OtayBW
12-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I've got a new set of Ardennes sitting in a box here in my kitchen that I don't expect to be getting any use out of for a couple of months or so.... http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/zelmo_2006/cry.gif

If things go right, I'll be putting them on a very light bike this Spring.

blschaefer1
12-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Approx. 1500 miles on a set of Ardennes on semi-rough country rodes. True as the day they were new. I am about 180 lbs, and have the standard build.

C2 rims are exactly as advertised - lower pressure, smoother ride. I am also seeing prolonged tire life.

May need to adjust brake spread to accomodate wider rim.

Very light as well. My favorite wheelset at the moment.

Hubs are great, but not quite up the quality of DT Swiss 240s in my opinion.

sokyroadie
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
FWIW -
http://www.worldcycling.com/

Has a 35% off sale.
I have NO connection to them.

Bastogne for $552.47 after discount
Ardennes for $682.47 after discount

Jeff

Ti-Boy
12-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I put about 3,500 miles on my Ardennes this year. I'm very satisified with them. I would buy them again.

mandasol
12-26-2009, 12:39 PM
FWIW -
http://www.worldcycling.com/

Has a 35% off sale.
I have NO connection to them.

Bastogne for $552.47 after discount
Ardennes for $682.47 after discount

Jeff

I got the same email about the 35% sale. That price is ridiculously low with the discount, so just gave them a call to confirm if that it correct. Even though their system subtracts the discount at checkout, they said the 35% does NOT apply to HED wheelsets and the order will not be accepted, but they will honor 20% off - which is still not that bad. At 35% off I was ready to place my order.

sokyroadie
12-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I got the same email about the 35% sale. That price is ridiculously low with the discount, so just gave them a call to confirm if that it correct. Even though their system subtracts the discount at checkout, they said the 35% does NOT apply to HED wheelsets and the order will not be accepted, but they will honor 20% off - which is still not that bad. At 35% off I was ready to place my order.

That sucks, they are not one of the items that are excluded :no:

LegendRider
12-26-2009, 01:19 PM
That sucks, they are not one of the items that are excluded :no:

No kidding! I was about to buy the Stinger 4's. Oh well, I just saved a $1,000.