PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Pro Road Shoes

kgrooney
12-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm interested in purchasing a pair of these shoes and would appreciate any insight regarding quality and fit.

bocarider
12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Our neice works for Mavic and tells me that the pros who are using their shoes love them, not just because of the endorsement (and freebies), but for fit, comfort and stiffness. If you look at pictures of the pro peloton, you can see a lot of the yellow Mavic shoes. She had to Fed Ex a pair to Chris Horner last year for the Giro.

My brother-in-law (her Dad) has a pair and really likes them. I'd try them, but I am too hooked on my Shimano heat molded shoes to give them up, even for a free pair of Mavics.

chiteach78
12-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I've got a pair of Fury XC's and I have to tell you after having tried on and ridden some really high end shoes (the expensive SIDIs, the Shimanos - not the heat molded ones - Lakes, etc.) I haven't had any bike shoe on my foot that's half as comfortable. The buckling/fit system just makes sense/is easy and they've got a nice stiff sole and solid contact on the pedals...wouldn't trade mine for anything. And I'll admit being very partial to the electric yellow/black.

As far as fit goes I'm a 42 in Sidi and took the same size in the Mavics....

rustychisel
12-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a pair of the Road Pro which I'm currently evaluating

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/footwear_range.6.9.1.aspx

I'm a shoe fairy, now have 4 pairs, and a dedicated lover of Adidas, the precursor to Mavic shoes. They're very very comfortable, slipper like, light and (I think) well constructed. Carbon sole, well ventilated, and no issues so far except as listed below. I'm not certain about the exaggerated cutaway around the ankle, it seems to rub slightly on the inside of my left foot, but the heel cup seems to work extremely effectively. Retention is good and strong, though the tongue needs careful positioning as you put the shoe on as its quite thin and light and can scrunch a bit. I have fairly wide feet (though not mammoth) and have no width issues thus far... I've ridden about 300km in them. They're not the stiffest sole but plenty stiff enough, no comfort issues there.

- ethics - they're made in China. Is that an issue for you?
- costly - I didn't pay retail.
- cleats are far forward, a trait they share with Adidas shoes. This can be a deal breaker for those who like their cleats further back. [I use Keywin]
- Zxwellium, Drippium, Dopeyium - the names have been selected by a fan of 'Xena Warrior Princess'
- they seem very well ventilated. Most road shoes these days are, partly to decrease overall weight. In any event Adidad and Mavic are all quite airy shoes (and that's a good thing in my climate).

Let me know if you need more

davidlee
12-23-2009, 09:14 PM
They are AMAZING...
Stiffest, most comfortable and lightest shoes I've ever used.
Ive got a pair of the Huez ( non- buckle) and the Zellium .
Only difference I can tell is the Huez is lighter without the buckle by a few grams. They both seem to use the same sole and last.
Killer shoes.
d

vqdriver
12-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Wider / wide as sidi mega?

mgm777
12-24-2009, 12:08 AM
For those that have worn both Sidi and Mavic...for a given size, do they fit as narrow as Sidi(a good thing)? a narrow heel cup is crucial to me.

cody.wms
12-24-2009, 12:16 AM
my the shoes have a wide toe box, wider than a lot of "normal" cycling shoes. my 46 sidi megas were a touch large. The 11.5 mavics i have are just right.

they are great shoes. If you are looking for narrower shoes, the adidas may do the trick. the shoes are very similar, and made in the same solomon factory from what ive been told.

kgrooney
12-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a pair of the Road Pro which I'm currently evaluating

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/footwear_range.6.9.1.aspx

I'm a shoe fairy, now have 4 pairs, and a dedicated lover of Adidas, the precursor to Mavic shoes. They're very very comfortable, slipper like, light and (I think) well constructed. Carbon sole, well ventilated, and no issues so far except as listed below. I'm not certain about the exaggerated cutaway around the ankle, it seems to rub slightly on the inside of my left foot, but the heel cup seems to work extremely effectively. Retention is good and strong, though the tongue needs careful positioning as you put the shoe on as its quite thin and light and can scrunch a bit. I have fairly wide feet (though not mammoth) and have no width issues thus far... I've ridden about 300km in them. They're not the stiffest sole but plenty stiff enough, no comfort issues there.

- ethics - they're made in China. Is that an issue for you?
- costly - I didn't pay retail.
- cleats are far forward, a trait they share with Adidas shoes. This can be a deal breaker for those who like their cleats further back. [I use Keywin]
- Zxwellium, Drippium, Dopeyium - the names have been selected by a fan of 'Xena Warrior Princess'
- they seem very well ventilated. Most road shoes these days are, partly to decrease overall weight. In any event Adidad and Mavic are all quite airy shoes (and that's a good thing in my climate).

Let me know if you need more

I appreciate everyone's response. The choice for me was between the Zxellium and the Pro Road. Based on the info on the Mavic web site and reviews I have read, the soles appear to be the same (full carbon) and I appreciate the black shoe.

The shoes I curently wear are many years old, so I expect to see an increase in performance.

cody.wms
12-24-2009, 02:16 PM
also, the yellow on the shoes holds up surprisingly well.

T.J.
12-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Try as I might I just can't seem to like anything better than Sidi's. Have tried different shoes over the years but always end up going back to my Sidi's.