PDA

View Full Version : amsterdam

yeehawfactor
02-27-2005, 08:25 PM
this summer i am going to ghana. the layover to and from ghana is in amsterdam. for a small administrative fee i can have the flight back moved back a few days. i know of many things detrimental to a cyclist in amsterdam, so i must ask what cool cycling things there are to see in amsterdam. i'll be there about 2 days so i won't have time to find an obscure bike shop in a remote area. are there any really good museums or other miscellany i should check out?

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2005, 09:54 PM
. . . to get in a good ride anywhere in Amsterdam you see a red porch light--and you don’t even need your bicycle. :rolleyes:

BBDave

dehoopta
02-27-2005, 10:06 PM
As for riding, there are some good bike tours, but I just rented a bike and went for it. They are extremely bikke friendly. Cars will patiently wait behind you until you turn out of their way. Helmets are very optional. They put kids unhelmeted and unstrapped on a handlebar seat. Don't keep your bike out of your site. It will walk.

As for the sites. I prefered the Van Gogh museum to the Dutch masters in the Rijksmuseum. I didn't get to go to the Anne Frank House, but i hear it was great. Lastly, you must visit the redlight district and use the "urinator"

dehoopta
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
By the way, that wasn't me. That was my late uncle with whom I traveled with. And here is the Urinator

yeehawfactor
02-27-2005, 10:36 PM
. . . to get in a good ride anywhere in Amsterdam you see a red porch light--and you don’t even need your bicycle. :rolleyes:

BBDave
interestingly enough i'm one of three guys on this trip. the other 9 persons are of the fairer sex.

bike tour sounds good, there are lots of places to rent bikes i would assume?

Dekonick
02-28-2005, 12:19 AM
LOTSA bikes - bikes everywhere.
Lotsa Beggars - beggars everywhere.
Lotsa culture and filth alike. No other city quite like it! :beer:

Part of the 'Amsterdam' experience is just walking around the town. Dont miss either of the two museums listed above - worth the trip! Can't say about the Ann Frank house.

Do have a good time!

Kevin
02-28-2005, 06:04 AM
You have to go to the red-light district. It is so strange compared to our puritanical ways that you will not stop laughing.

Kevin

Ozz
02-28-2005, 07:26 AM
...so i must ask what cool cycling things there are to see in amsterdam. i'll be there about 2 days so i won't have time to find an obscure bike shop in a remote area. are there any really good museums or other miscellany i should check out?

The Heinekin museum.....um...brewery!

Beware of the gutter that runs from the "urinator" to the street....

Seriously, the Van Gogh Museum is great and much easier to manage (smaller) than the Rijksmuseum. Both are great, but you can spend all day at the Rijksmuseum. I was amazed at how huge the the old masters paintings were...

The "Torture Museum" is .... interesting...

"Mr. Cocos" has cheap beer and party atmosphere...no hash on the menu however...I think the "Bulldog" is where you go for that. Good ristafel restaurant (indonesian) across the street. They offer cigars with dessert... :cool:

A friend of mine's brother owns a chain of Uruguayan BBQ restaurants, but I never found one...but it sounds interesting.

Bottomline is that it is a friendly and fun city

Be warned that this info is about 15 years old....

Spinner
02-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Amsterdam is a great place to visit, where bikers rule. Agree with other posts about the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Great exhibits. Across the street from the main entrance of the Rijksmuseum is a small cafe adjacent to a canal. Had the best cheese sandwich ever (crusty baguette bread, incredible white cheese at room temp., sliced cucumber and tomato), mmmmmm.

Lots to see everywhere. check out the fruit and flower markets.

Too Tall
02-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I take it you didn't "inhale". D**d, it's been a long time for me BUT if I were in Amsterdam.....

Roy E. Munson
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
I have to agee with Too Tall here, go get wasted for a few days.

bostondrunk
02-28-2005, 08:52 AM
I take it you didn't "inhale". D**d, it's been a long time for me BUT if I were in Amsterdam.....

Ditch the bike and the chicks yer travelling with, get yer roach clip and a box of domes (get the newlywed value pack) and gittyup! :banana: :banana: :beer: :p :banana: