PDA

View Full Version : Livestrong Stuff on Ebay

hairylegs
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey Guys -

Just curious as to your thoughts about bike apparel on ebay. You can grab a livestrong kit for about $50. Doesn't that seem a little shady? Looks like it's definitely from China, and maybe the quality isn't as good?

Just curious as the wife will definitely NOT let me blow $200 on a kit, but with some arm twisting $50-80 should be a gimme. :)

Happy holidays!

Cody

dave thompson
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Guys -

Just curious as to your thoughts about bike apparel on ebay. You can grab a livestrong kit for about $50. Doesn't that seem a little shady? Looks like it's definitely from China, and maybe the quality isn't as good?

Just curious as the wife will definitely NOT let me blow $200 on a kit, but with some arm twisting $50-80 should be a gimme. :)

Happy holidays!

Cody
You're seriously asking this question? You're considering buying possibly illegal and most likely poorer quality stuff because it's cheaper than the real goods? And you'd wear it?

Elefantino
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I was going to say the same thing.

If you want Livestrong, buy Livestrong.

The money goes to a good cause. No, a great cause.

Polyglot
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys -

Happy holidays!

Cody

I used to comb ebay on a daily basis on behalf of an Italian clothing manufacturer to sort out the illegal reproductions. Under the VeRO (Verified Rights Owner) program set up by Ebay, the offending items would get pulled (I never had an item that I pointed out not be pulled!) I also got the address and name of a few of the sellers and legal action was begun. From what I understand, were a court order eventually be issued against the seller, Ebay would then surrender the sales records. Given the low prices at which you can get "real" clothing right now, I cannot understand why anybody would even think about getting something from one of these counterfeiters. Besides which, I have never been overly impressed with the quality of the livestrong items and you would obviously not be contributing to any good work that they might be doing...

hairylegs
12-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Guys -

Call me convinced and sorry I brought it up.

Both my parents have had cancer (my mom survived, dad wasn't as lucky) and I am a huge supporter of Livestrong.

I didn't realize these counterfeit items were so widespread and I surely won't be considering buying any. Ever.

Happy holidays!

Cody

MRB
12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I was not aware that the counterfeit stuff existed either.

JeffS
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Or, just buy the ebay gear and donate a percentage of cash to the charity.

At least then you will be certain what you've donated. Even better, consider donating to a cancer charity with a better donation/expense ratio.