PDA

View Full Version : rockville md for x-mas need a 55-56

jimcav
12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
have clothing, pedals, saddle, shoes, etc but can't fit my bike in the car for the drive out there
used to live near there but always had my bikes and never checked for shops that rent--or if someone is willing to lend out a bike to me?
would love to borrow or rent for a few days (like 24rd-26th or maybe 23rd-26th) thanks
jim
u can text me at 619-481-8163 if you know of a place
thanks

Smiley
12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Call Spokes Etc at 703-820-2200 and ask for Steve and tell him Smiley from the forum set you and u need a rental, then pray for snow melt by then :)

avalonracing
12-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Jim,

The roads are pretty much trashed here right now and the forecast is calling for temps where a big, wet melt is unlikely. I wouldn't sweat it. Currently the clear roads are big, salty, car infested rivers and the roads without cars are glaciers.
Sounds like fun, huh?

jimcav
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
saw it was not going to rain or snow most of the days i was there so hoped for some clear roads, guess i'll get a head start on 2010 running then
thanks
jim

Jim,

The roads are pretty much trashed here right now and the forecast is calling for temps where a big, wet melt is unlikely. I wouldn't sweat it. Currently the clear roads are big, salty, car infested rivers and the roads without cars are glaciers.
Sounds like fun, huh?

jimcav
12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Call Spokes Etc at 703-820-2200 and ask for Steve and tell him Smiley from the forum set you and u need a rental, then pray for snow melt by then :)

was really aching to get out toward poolesville again
jim

palincss
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
saw it was not going to rain or snow most of the days i was there so hoped for some clear roads,

Yes, but we just had 17-21" of snow land on us, as much as this area normally gets in an entire winter, and this area isn't equipped for rapid clearing of that much snow unless Mr. Sunshine does the job, and it hasn't been warm enough for that.

Dekonick
12-21-2009, 09:32 PM
No kidding - the roads are trashed right now. No shoulder... heck, many multi lane roads are down to a lane or 2. I wouldn't even suggest running right now... in fact (by accident) we made a jogger dive into a pile of snow yesterday. *** he was doing running in this weather is beyond me... but there is only so much room for a fire engine... and there was not enough room for us to not lay down on the siren and air horn to avoid oncoming traffic... we tried to give him room, but I guess the noise startled him and he dove into 20+" of snow. Had he continued running he would have been sprayed by slush anyway...

I checked on the local paths near me and none of them were clear enough to run... same for cycling. If you want to mountain bike, Avalon is open - and muddy as hell. Give it a shot if you make it up to Baltimore...

As far as the rest goes... it is going to be a white Christmas around here... with no outdoor cardio except for reindeer.

Sorry bro.

Sandy
12-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I live in Rockville, MD. My bike size is a 59 and I have two bikes- both road. If you want to ride, I have a friend who rides a smaller bike, and I will ask him, but as you have already been told, the roads and trails are in poor condition. We are also expecting freezing rain/rain on Christmas day. In addition, it will be well below freezing at night for the next several days, so there will be refreezing overnight.

I will check with my friend tonight and see what he has available in bikes for you to use.

Sandy

jimcav
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
sounds as if it won't be worth the risk to try it--if i go far out enough to avoid traffic then the roads will likely be still icy or snow packed little farm roads. bummer as even compared to san diego the river road out to poolesville/darnestown/derwood is some of my favorite riding
thanks
jim
I live in Rockville, MD. My bike size is a 59 and I have two bikes- both road. If you want to ride, I have a friend who rides a smaller bike, and I will ask him, but as you have already been told, the roads and trails are in poor condition. We are also expecting freezing rain/rain on Christmas day. In addition, it will be well below freezing at night for the next several days, so there will be refreezing overnight.

I will check with my friend tonight and see what he has available in bikes for you to use.

Sandy

avalonracing
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Come see us again in May and give us a heads up and some of us can meet you.

Sandy
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I have a friend who rides a size 56 road bike. He is bringing me over a Trek 8000 9 speed bike today that he has that you are welcome to ride. I will bring it to you wherever you are staying if you want. The main roads are fine. I would enjoy meeting you. If my old feeble mind remembers correctly, you had mentioned that you would like to ride a Cayman S. I would be glad to switch cars with you while you are here in Rockville.

I will call you in a bit. Not sure if you are on the road and/or if the number you gave is a cell phone number.

Sandy

avalonracing
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I have a friend who rides a size 56 road bike. He is bringing me over a Trek 8000 9 speed bike today that he has that you are welcome to ride. I will bring it to you wherever you are staying if you want. The main roads are fine. I would enjoy meeting you. If my old feeble mind remembers correctly, you had mentioned that you would like to ride a Cayman S. I would be glad to switch cars with you while you are here in Rockville.

I will call you in a bit. Not sure if you are on the road and/or if the number you gave is a cell phone number.

Sandy

Jim,
With guys like Sandy around next time you should say that you want to travel here in a private jet.
:D

jimcav
12-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Sandy
that is above and beyond of you--but i brought no cycling stuff--after reading the posts and having my wife call her family out here we (my wife) wisely decided that if i brought stuff, then i'd find a way to ride, and likely put myself and the bike in jeopardy.
i am of course bummed to be back here and not ride my old favorite areas, but I will make do with swimming and working out down at the navy gym in bethesda
that is my cell, and if i can break free I'd love to buy you a beer or maybe an indian food lunch or such
jim

zap
12-23-2009, 04:33 PM
edit

an indian food lunch or such
jim

Nice place near casa sandy

jimcav
12-24-2009, 08:17 AM
edit

Nice place near casa sandy

thanks for the info btw
jim

avalonracing
12-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Jim,

After seeing the condition of our roads do you think it was the right decision to leave the bike gear at home?

Smiley
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I called Jim and invited him for bagels with Sandy and Zapper (aka Schmaukers Man crush) and lets see if Jim calls if he has any down time :)

jimcav
12-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Jim,

After seeing the condition of our roads do you think it was the right decision to leave the bike gear at home?
If I had brought my gear and gotten a bike I think i could ride if i went at a low traffic hour, and if definately if i drove out a bit from my in-laws. but i have also been running, and some cars just think of the yellow line as a concrete wall, even when there is no opposing traffic, so there may have been some close calls

smiley was kind enough to invite me out for bagels, but it coincided with a "playdate" for my wife and kids--between her family and old friends (she grew up here) I get short periods to try to run or whatever.

happy holidays everyone

avalonracing
12-25-2009, 09:30 AM
but i have also been running, and some cars just think of the yellow line as a concrete wall, even when there is no opposing traffic

I am very familiar with the drivers who think "It is illegal to cross the double yellow (that could be dangerous) but it's okay to hit this cyclist".

jimcav
12-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I am very familiar with the drivers who think "It is illegal to cross the double yellow (that could be dangerous) but it's okay to hit this cyclist".

or maybe they are just too many freaked out by the snow--anyway likely a good idea i am running against traffic and not riding with it