PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood Ti or Ti-Mag

Rueda Tropical
12-21-2009, 06:01 AM
In need of a Bottom Bracket and see Phil has a 'Titanium-Magnium' model at the top of the line. Stiffer and more durable, weighs about the same as ti (-5g).

Anyone use these? Is it worth the premium over the titanium spindles?

DHallerman
12-21-2009, 06:18 AM
In need of a Bottom Bracket and see Phil has a 'Titanium-Magnium' model at the top of the line. Stiffer and more durable, weighs about the same as ti (-5g).

Anyone use these? Is it worth the premium over the titanium spindles?

I use both the regular ti, and the ti/mag, which has a supposedly stiffer ti spindle and a definitely lighter shell (the "Magnium" part).

As my use of the word "supposedly" indicates, I have not perceived much of a difference between the two.

I spin more than mash, so that likely colors my perception as well.

Dave, who is still amazed at how little it costs to overhaul a PW bottom bracket and who also has paid just a bit more to have them change spindles too which gives him a whole new unit

rustychain
12-21-2009, 06:48 AM
95kilos here and nothing but good things to say regarding the MegaTi. Best square taper BB ever made

ergott
12-21-2009, 07:21 AM
I compare them as I only have a TiMagnium. I don't regret the purchase one bit. I haven't had to do anything with it and it's on my high mileage bike.

PacNW2Ford
12-21-2009, 10:28 AM
According to the Phil Wood website, the same titanium spindle is common to both the Ti and Ti-Mag models.

DHallerman
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
According to the Phil Wood website, the same titanium spindle is common to both the Ti and Ti-Mag models.

Interesting.

They used to be different, with the Ti/Mag described as having a "proprietary" titanium spindle...and plain ti spindle for the other one.

I wonder when that changed.

zap
12-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I have several ti-mag (new and old type) including the uber carbon-special ti from the early-mid 90's.

I used to hammer (slow & fat this year) and all pw bb work better than new. You will not feel a difference between ti models

Good stuff-can't go wrong with any PW bb.