PDA

View Full Version : I am finally getting my dream bike

dirtdigger88
01-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Now I can join all of you "cool" Serotta owners. I did my fit on Monday and ordered my Legend Ti. I will let you know when it is done.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

JohnS
01-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Congratulations! How are you planning on equipping it?

dirtdigger88
01-21-2004, 12:39 PM
2004 Dura Ace
ksyriums 2004
Thomson stem and post (bost polished)
King headset (polished)
my old trusty Flite saddle that I have had for years
prima 199 bars

that should just about break the piggy bank!!!

dirtdigger88
01-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I forgot, I got the frame polished with the matte logos, I love that option.:beer:

Tom
01-21-2004, 01:30 PM
It's been said many times before: now the hard part begins. The average number of calls made to the bike shop and Serotta during the build and delivery time is somewhere around 28.

dirtdigger88
01-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Why so? Buyer remorse? Or problems on Serottas end?

TmcDet
01-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I only called to the bike shop a couple of times while I was waiting on my Serotta, but it was hard to keep from it at times.....for the most part it was just the anticipation of what was to come, my components came in before the frame and I was able to fondle them for a bit and I think that might have even made it worse.....time goes by so slow when waiting on a new bike, it is like a kid waiting for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mavic1010
01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
The phone calls usually go like:

"I want blue/white decals...no wait, I'll stick with the charcoal/ti...don't you think the blue/white will look better..."

"Paint...no polish...wait 1/2 paint, 1/2 polish....maybe I want more paint like 3/4 paint, 1/4 ti...that sizzler scheme..is nice..no?

"Is the frame here yet...."

then..

"Is the frame here yet...."

"Is it too late to change the decals?!"......

etc...etc...

dirtdigger88
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Ok, I got it. I have been deciding on this bike for a couple of years now. Besides, I have a five day old son to keep me busy. I even had to reschedule the fit because my wife went into labor early. You can not rush perfection.

ps. do you think they have started on my frame yet?:D

csm
01-21-2004, 04:59 PM
you will love it

TmcDet
01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Dirt don't ask us if they started yet...call the bike shop that is what they are there for. plus you would still have 27 more times to call them..the sooner you get those 28 calls in the sooner the frame will be in

weisan
01-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Congratulations on your new born!!!

M_A_Martin
01-21-2004, 07:08 PM
On the Baby!

Both of them!

I'm ramping up to being able to be fit for my legend. Isn't it exciting! Have they started on my frame yet? I guess I have to order it first eh? Should I start calling now? I think I'll have more calls in BEFORE they start the frame than after.

Be happy that you've probably almost the most versatile finish for your bike.

I've been thinking about this for some time. although I'm not positive which order these would go in, I'm sure it would work. I know they won't polish out the matte finish. So perhaps 4,5,6 should be 2, 3, 4

Start with Polish and decals
1 Remove decals
2 Send the frame back for cleaning up the polish and applying the matte logos
3 Send the bike back for a matte finish with polish logos
4 Send the bike back for 1/2 paint
5 Send the bike back for 3/4
6 Send the bike back for full paint.

The whole "why would you paint titanium question comes up, but that's ok.

Which logos are you having put on? (chain stay, seat stay, down tube???)

Elefantino
01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Welcome to the family!

You will wonder how you ever rode without one before.

And you'll wonder how you'll ever afford the next one! :p

FWIW,
Mike

kenth
01-22-2004, 08:43 AM
OK, so here's my question: I finally placed my order for an Ottrott last month - right at the beginning of December. I asked a zillion questions before I finally committed, but I've tried hard not to bug the shop for "progress" details since. I finally broke down a week ago, and the word was ithe frame was in "QC", and I'd get word when it shipped. Any estimates of how much longer I can expect? It's hard to figure with the holidays in the middle of that stretch, and it's not like I can enjoy it for much more than oogling right now with the weather what it is, but I'm still dying to see it.

dirtdigger88
01-22-2004, 09:07 AM
My LBS told me that the Ottrott was behind on production due to them being so popular and Reynolds has not been able to keep up with the demand of the carbon tubes. The LBS told me my Legend should only be about one month. Hell it is 19 deg. this morning and windy, I will only be on my trainer today anyway. And to Martin, I got the standard locations for stickers, down tube, seat tube, chain stays, the Legend Ti on the TT. and I got the metal head badge, not the painted "S" Serotta is amazing with all of the options that you can choose from.

Ozz
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
On both your son and your new bike.

Your bike set-up sounds sweet!

So, do you plan on riding your new bike?

After my son was born, I didn't touch my bike for about 3 months. My son came 5 weeks early, so the first month was pretty tense with feedings and taking care of him. After that, I just found it hard to be away from him in my spare time.

It's amazing how quickly priorities change.

FWIW - One of my son's first phrases was: "Daddy's bike." He would see my bike hanging on the wall when we pulled into the garage.

dirtdigger88
01-22-2004, 03:17 PM
I am going to do my best to keep riding. I need it for sanity reasons. I become this evil person when I can not ride. I alway say I burn my demons out of my sysetm. My wife is incredibly supportive of my riding (she does not like the demons either) As long I am her man servant most of the time, she allows me about 12 hours a week to my cycling. Yes priorities change very quickly, but i think cycling makes me a better person, and I am sure it will make me a better dad.

TmcDet
01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I have a son that just turned 2 and he loves bikes. He will sit in the floor looking @ bikes in magazines or in my lap looking @ bikes on the computer. When I am washing or adjusting on my bike he is right there to help me with it (ok it takes longer to get things done with him there but it is more fun). I have a trailer that I pull him in behind the bike around the neighborhood and he just loves that, heck that is how I get him to sleep during the summer when the days are longer.

I also have an 8 yr old daughter and she is the same way over bikes. She had to have a road bike for Christmas so she could ride with me....bikes are a great way to spend time with kids

davids
01-22-2004, 04:17 PM
TmcDet,

What road bike did you buy your daughter? Small road bikes are a rare breed these days.

Personally, I bought my 9 year old an Ibex 440 mountain bike. She's 10 1/2 now, and it will probably fit her for 2 more years. $325 for an incredibly high-quality kid's bike: Ibex 440 (http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2004/ALP-440K-Details.html)

TmcDet
01-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Davids,

I got her an old Centurion LeMan's that looks like it had never been ridden.....we went to Richardson Bike Mart because they had a Colnago Jr bike for around $1000, with real low end campy stuff. We spent a couple of hrs in there looking around and just as we were leaving the salesman we had been talking caught us to tell us someone had just traded it in. It is still a bit too big for her. I put some safety levers on it, changed the crank to 140mm and she can ride it pretty well now.

I know that Colnago, Trek and Felt all make some pretty small bikes that will work for kids. Serotta has a 48 Fierte with 650 wheels that gets down pretty small too.

Kevin
01-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Congratulations on your son. When are you going to get him a bike?

Kevin

Climb01742
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
my daughter sophie turned seven about a month ago, and for her birthday we went to my LBS and let her pick out her new bike, her first without training wheels. to my great relief, she finally chose one that wasn't pink (but dbrk, your wife's pink bike is truly lovely, no critique meant.) sophie chose a bright purple trek. with a white basket, of course. :cool:

is there anything sweeter than a child riding a bike? anything happier than a parent watching their child ride?

dirtdigger88
01-22-2004, 07:01 PM
My son's bike will be a little different. I have a 1973 Indian 50cc mini bike that was mine when I was four. I am restoring it now. I will let him pick his peddle power version.