PDA

View Full Version : Snow Stories

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
When I was living in the big apple in my early 20's, I looked forward to snow storms, as that was a opportunity for me to CAPITALIZE.

Mind you, the big garbage trucks would come by and plow the side streets, clearing the street, but adding more snow to the side of the cars parked, makig for a bigger job than they already had. So once the owner of the car shoveled his way out, he could then drive on the cleared strret.

I owned a jacked up 4x4 with big wheels. I would call a freind, and we would pull snowed in cars out of there parking spot for $25 a pop.

Many refused our service, cold, tired,and sweatty, they been shoveling for some time, they see us pull the other fellows car out 1, 2, 3 , they cave in and turn to us and say, ok,,, you can pull mine out.

Happened so many times,

On the flip side of the coin, many times traveling up into the Snowy Sierras, the young kids of the area would have a area where cars could pull off the road and they would install your chains. I' gladly paid, as so many others did.

WHATS YOUR SNOW STORY ? ? ?

OtayBW
12-19-2009, 01:17 PM
WHATS YOUR SNOW STORY ? ? ?
I'll get back to you in ~12 hours....

Smiley
12-19-2009, 01:29 PM
when I owned a boat which I kept in the water year round days like today scared me cause in marinas across the chesapeake today your going to have boats that sink cause they got laiden with too much snow and their scuppers did not work to rid the excess water from the decks. captains can't get to their boats to shovel snow off their decks, not a happy story.

Ti Designs
12-19-2009, 01:47 PM
What do people have against snow? It's nature's way of slowing things to a halt in the winter. Older civilizations figured that out, but modern civilization (if you can call it that) fights it. Now I'm sure the world would end if y'all couldn't get out and get to work, but I work at a bike shop, I could fall off a cliff and nobody would notice for weeks. So, this idea of going out and moving snow around for hours, or paying someone else to move snow around doesn't make much sense to me. And these people driving around in trucks with plows are doing long term harm than temporary good. My road was repaved a few years ago, it was nice and smooth until the next snow storm when much of the road surface wound up in piles of snow and ice at the end of the road. The dirt road beyond my house is even worst. They still plow it, which is to say the move 1/3rd snow and 2/3rds dirt.

I have this idea for how to make things better. First, if you insist on driving in the snow, GET SNOW TIRES!!! If you have snow tires and you know how to drive in the stuff (this is asking a lot), 2 inches of snow isn't an issue. So the snow plows no longer have to lower the blade to the street, which is less damaging to the plow and far less destructive to the road. What's more, once you understand what you can do with snow tires and the ability to drive, you woun't have to shovel nearly as much, which leaves more time to ride!

Sorry 'bout the rant, I just learned how much my town's budget for snow removal is...

William
12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
....I owned a jacked up 4x4 with big wheels. I would call a freind, and we would pull snowed in cars out of there parking spot for $25 a pop.

Many refused our service, cold, tired,and sweatty, they been shoveling for some time, they see us pull the other fellows car out 1, 2, 3 , they cave in and turn to us and say, ok,,, you can pull mine out.

Happened so many times,

:D

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 04:10 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=64739&stc=1

YEPP, William, it looked very simular. I bet you,,, there are a few who wished they had that today.

Anothher quick little story, those same garbage trucks, I talked about earlier, would litterally pile snow 3 stoies high, on the corners of the avenues , this was in the 60's and 70's when we use to get large accumulations.

All the kids from the neighborhood would play King of the Mtn on the snow piles. Many went home with black eyes. Others got sick for a week from rolling in the snow and being soaking wet. We all got yelled at by our parents, but what the heck, we were kids having a blast. Those were the days.

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2s7i8at.jpg

Someone posted this in another thread, This should handle any snow situation

Reminds me of the snow cats on the ski slopes, used for grooming the slopes.

rounder
12-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Went to n.c. state back in the 60s. A classmate and i were driving down I95 to Raleigh from Baltimore and Salisbury during a snowstorm. We could see that the storm was bad and that we would have to make a stop. So, we pulled over at the local liquor store and bought a case of beer. Then checked in to a hotel north of Richmond. We were stuck there for three days. Meanwhile, there was some sort of wedding going on...folks were walking around in tux with waders on and girls in gowns. There was also some sort of jewish children's convention going on. It should have been a disaster, but instead it was hilarious. Everyone there had a good time.

SEABREEZE
12-20-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibmhlT4wavU

This is what I was referring to, when I said shoveling your car out from large accumulations of snow.

zap
12-20-2009, 10:21 AM
snip

So, this idea of going out and moving snow around for hours, or paying someone else to move snow around doesn't make much sense to me.

We are a productive society.

If you want me to go to your shop, purchase a Mievici with campy/ax/lightweight kit, you want me to be able to travel so that I can earn money then go to your shop to purchase said kit.

Besides, the faster the streets are cleared, the faster someone on a serotta kicks your behind on a climb. :banana: :D

Climb01742
12-20-2009, 10:32 AM
When I was living in the big apple in my early 20's...

i was living in manhattan in '78 when the big blizzard hit the city and shut it down for about 3 days. nyc in the snow is quite a different place.