PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cycling in the blizzard?

Sandy
12-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Was wondering if any of our dedicated Serotta Forum cyclists, who are receiving the East coast blizzard, or similar snow elsewhere, have ridden their bike today or are planning to. As a snowman, I need to know.

:) Snowman Sandy :)

Pete Serotta
12-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Smiley and I were waiting for you at the bagel shop. We were ready to ride and have you buy!!! Bailey was even on the hunt for you. ;)

William
12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I will be putting the plow on the tractor shortly, but still plan on getting out..snow or not. :banana:

William

Sandy
12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Smiley and I were waiting for you at the bagel shop. We were ready to ride and have you buy!!! Bailey was even on the hunt for you. ;)

The last thing the bagel shop owner wants to see is Bailey. He would be grabbing the bagels a dozen at a time. :)

:banana: Snowflake Sandy :banana:

dogdriver
12-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Pugsley or cross bike. I like the Pugs in the cold because, 1- it goes anywhere I can walk and not posthole, and 2- dragging the virtual "sea anchor" of 4" tires keeps the airspeed, and thus wind chill, down on cold days.

rwsaunders
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I just did my Winter cross training...manhandling the snowblower and snow shovel for the past hour or so....no cycling outdoors or me today. More snow coming for the White Christmas effect.

Sandy
12-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Pugsley or cross bike. I like the Pugs in the cold because, 1- it goes anywhere I can walk and not posthole, and 2- dragging the virtual "sea anchor" of 4" tires keeps the airspeed, and thus wind chill, down on cold days.

How far will you ride?

:D Snowman Sandy :D

Smiley
12-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice attempt to circumnavigate the weather topic into cycling Sandy, Penn State puts out smarts guys like u. 12 inches here at 11 AM and counting. Just did my first clearance and probably need to go out 2 more times. For you guys that deal with snow where do you put it all :)

zap
12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
:) , you have a piece with a motor right.

I cleared one lane then then zip did the rest. Pitty the folks that have done nothing yet. Twenty inches is going to hurt.

Cycling, indoors.

Ray
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I cleared one lane then then zip did the rest. Pitty the folks that have done nothing yet. Twenty inches is going to hurt.
Pity the folks with driveways an no Condo Association to hire out the plowing!!! Man, I've been waiting through two winters with no big dumps to say that, ever since we moved to our condo and don't have to deal with any of the shoveling. My biggest concern right now is whether I should walk over to my old neighborhood and have a nice leisurely talk with my old neighbors while THEY try to deal with the snow. I'm probably not mean enough to actually do that, but I'm definitely mean enough to enjoy the thought.

This is really cold, dry snow. Fun stuff. I took my dog out to walk this morning and she was totally covered in snow when we got back. But she shook herself off in the garage and, except for a little bit of dampness right around her paws, she was bone dry - it all just shook right off. In a day or two its gonna start getting dirty and there's gonna be ice on the roads and salt and sand all over the place and I'm gonna hate it, but today, DAMN its beautiful!

Riding a bike? Are you out of your mind?

-Ray

Climb01742
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
the snow isn't here yet. coming tonight. so i rode this morning. dang, it was cold. but looking at the forecast, there may not be snow-free roads for awhile.

ps: can gas get "old"? i have a half-full plastic "can" of gas in my barn for my snowblower that's been sitting since last spring. i put stabilizer in my snowblower, but not the gas can. i did some googling and it seems gas can be stored for at least a year without trouble. can anyone second this? thanks!

PaulE
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Snow is not here yet in Northeastern NJ. Was going to ride outside this morning but my riding buddies wimped out cause it was 25 degrees and it since sunrise it's looked like the snow might start any minute. As it turned out, I could have gotten an outdoor ride in, but I've had it happen a few times before where as soon as I got dressed and rolled out of the house, the snow started coming down hard. So it was an hour on the trainer indoors for me.

William
12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I got the plow mounted and ready. Went out for a quick & brisk 25. Sitting here sipping a warm...OUCH!....hot latte' and waiting for it to start.

William :beer:

JBone
12-19-2009, 01:10 PM
No blizzard here (San Diego), but there is a heat wave and very dry... 80 degress :)

William
12-19-2009, 01:11 PM
No blizzard here (San Diego), but there is a heat wave and very dry... 80 degress :)

In the words of the forum Tequila icon Dave Thompson.....BITE ME!!!! :D

William

nathbdp
12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I work delivery on my bike, so yes I am.

Ti Designs
12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
No snow here yet (but the sanding trucks are out spreading dirt on the road past my house, which is a dirt road...) I got in 5 hours on the fixed gear, starting at 14 degrees but warming up to 25. My training schedule has me at the gym on Sunday, I'll either take the mountain bike there or snowshoes, depending on how much we get overnight.

I'm thinking of making Monday, which is the shortest day of the year, seem like the longest day. I want to start at 4:00am on my fixed gear (with the gear lowered to a 44x20) and head out to Harvard MA to see sunrise at the overlook by Fruitlands, then ride home and go to work. Not sure how the snow is gonna change my plans. Anyone up for something really stupid???

zip
12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
:) , you have a piece with a motor right.

Cycling, indoors.

After the driveway was shoveled we went for a tandem ride. This is how it looked when we got back :beer:

rdparadise
12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Check out these pictures from my back deck. I live just south east of Philly, about 25 miles or so, very near the DE. River. No warming effect today from the water in the river so a dump it is.

Anyway, close to a foot now and coming down like crazy. I shoveled about 8 inches off my driveway and sidewalk this morning to split it up. Hasn't snowed like this in years here.

Sledding or XC skiing later today, no cycling for me, unless I pull out the rollers.

Stay safe and dry guys!

Regards,

Bob

Ps. Pics to follow.

Z3c
12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Blizzard?

rdparadise
12-19-2009, 01:53 PM
It's been snowing before dawn and really coming down hard now. TV said 1-3" an hour are possible this afternoon. And, the best part is, we already have at least a foot of snow already.

Can't believe this snowfall, but hey, what the heck. It's the weekend and gives me time for wrapping gifts and decorating the tree.

Take care,

Bob

PaMtbRider
12-19-2009, 02:32 PM
I rode mountain bike for about 1 1/2 hours this morning. We had about 4" when I started and closer to 6"+ by the time I was done. I got home and shoveled the driveway. Four hours later and it looks like I need to go shovel again. High winds tomorrow will mean lots of drifting. Hopefully we can get some xc skiing in before it gets too bad. I am glad we rode the tandem yesterday because I don't think we will be able to ride on the roads anytime soon.

clweed
12-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Texas Blizzard (http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/77546?from=hrly_topnav_undeclared)

Z3c
12-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Texas Blizzard (http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/77546?from=hrly_topnav_undeclared)

Bummer..

rdparadise
12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Texas Blizzard

NOT!

Bob

TimD
12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
the snow isn't here yet. coming tonight. so i rode this morning. dang, it was cold. but looking at the forecast, there may not be snow-free roads for awhile.

We had six for twenty-five this morning, starting at eight. Three fixies, two single speeds, and two geared bikes (la la la). Fifteen degrees at the start. The sky had "snow" written all over it.

Climb, you should come down and meet us some weekend, we start from Swellesley Center.

Sandy
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM

As a new moderator, I am deciding as to whether I should delete your heat wave comment, ban your weather, or just vaporize you. :) :)

:) Snowball Sandy :)

Sandy
12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I work delivery on my bike, so yes I am.

You guys and gals are tough anyway. Snow won't scare you.

:banana: Snowmobile Sandy :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2009, 03:57 PM
. . . about an hour ago. Snow has not reached us yet here in the Albany area and going by the forecast it probably won't. But it was 22 degrees when I finished and I think that qualifies as the coldest ride I've ever been on. I did 18, which leaves me about 70 short of 5000 for the year and I want that 5k bad.

BBD

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I will be putting the plow on the tractor shortly, but still plan on getting out..snow or not. :banana:

William

If memory serves me correctly , I beleive you posted something regarding size 16 canoes, you dont need a plow, the canoes will take care of it
:)

xjoex
12-19-2009, 04:21 PM
My wife and I rode for 90s minutes in the park. About as long as I could handle...

-Joe

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=64737&stc=1

A Golden Doddle ? ? ?

Pete Serotta
12-19-2009, 04:26 PM
My wife and I rode for 90s minutes in the park. About as long as I could handle...

-Joe
:beer: :beer:

Sandy
12-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I rode mountain bike for about 1 1/2 hours this morning. We had about 4" when I started and closer to 6"+ by the time I was done. I got home and shoveled the driveway. Four hours later and it looks like I need to go shovel again. High winds tomorrow will mean lots of drifting. Hopefully we can get some xc skiing in before it gets too bad. I am glad we rode the tandem yesterday because I don't think we will be able to ride on the roads anytime soon.

You sound like the energizer bunny.

;) Snowblower Sandy ;)

Sandy
12-19-2009, 04:35 PM

-Joe

Great photo!

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Great photo!

Your about to run out of snow options, now onto the AVALANCE portion of the show.

jbrainin
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
For you guys that deal with snow where do you put it all :)

In the street so that it gets plowed onto the entrance of my unpleasant neighbor's driveway. :fight:

Sandy
12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Your about to run out of snow options, now onto the AVALANCE portion of the show.

Have zillions left-

:banana: Snowdrift Sandy :banana:

SoCalSteve
12-19-2009, 05:08 PM
82*, bit windy, did an easy 40 miler along PCH to Malibu and back...

Sandy, if you want to delete this, feel free to.

Just sayin'

Steve

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2009, 05:17 PM
82*, bit windy, did an easy 40 miler along PCH to Malibu and back...

Sandy, if you want to delete this, feel free to.

Just sayin'

Steve

You vaporize this post from Steve. I'll jump on a plane right away--with my bike of course--and head out there to deliver further discipline in person! ;)

BBD

Bruce K
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
No snow yet.

Snowblower is ready to go. Extra gas can is full.

Predictions are for 8 - 10" or 3 - 5" depending on which weather service you read.

Just a typical New England winter storm by the time it gets here.

BK

SEABREEZE
12-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Have zillions left-

:banana: Snowdrift Sandy :banana:

Snowed In by the Avalanche and check

Dekonick
12-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Working... chains on all of the trucks except the tower... lots of stupid people driving in cars that have no business being on the road...

At home my snow blower is ready... fired her up last night... waiting to see if I work tomorrow too...

No cycling but lots of shoveling!

GuyGadois
12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
The nearest Blizzard is at the local DQ. 70 degrees here. Steve in SLO pictures here with his Superior Weight:Strength ratio. As an aside, Steve and his bike were Strong today.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lcpF09XKW8M/Sy16bYZniPI/AAAAAAAACqk/I78t_3unlo8/s1024/IMG_0734.JPG

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2009, 07:51 PM
The nearest Blizzard is at the local DQ. 70 degrees here. Steve in SLO pictures here with his Superior Weight:Strength ratio. As an aside, Steve and his bike were Strong today.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lcpF09XKW8M/Sy16bYZniPI/AAAAAAAACqk/I78t_3unlo8/s1024/IMG_0734.JPG

Now what WAS that phrase that is so appropriate . . . Hmmm . . . Oh--YEAH! NOW I remember! . . .

BITE ME!!!

;)

BBD

Pete Serotta
12-19-2009, 07:54 PM
:banana: :banana:

Matt-H
12-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Had a nice mtb loop just as the snow really piled up. The quiet of trail riding on such a snowy day is a wonderful thing...

PaMtbRider
12-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Glad to see lots of people from Pa. were out enjoying the snow today. It would really suck to live in southern California where the weather never changes and you can't appreciate the seasons. Well... probably not, but I am going to think that as I appreciate the 23 degrees outside right now.

Ray
12-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Glad to see lots of people from Pa. were out enjoying the snow today. It would really suck to live in southern California where the weather never changes and you can't appreciate the seasons. Well... probably not, but I am going to think that as I appreciate the 23 degrees outside right now.
A lot of truth to that - not just a joke. I spent about 15 years or so in a place with pretty good weather year round - hot summers but you could function because there wasn't much humidity. And you took the sunshine for granted after a while. There was the occasional cold day (in the 40s) but not enough to make you appreciate the nice ones. I like living where there are four distinct seasons. Even though there are more miserable days than in some of the nice places, they make you REALLY appreciate the nice ones in a way that you almost never do when its nice almost all the time. I wouldn't go back. Nothing wrong with those places and I don't have anything against them, but I have to laugh when folks from nice climates imply that there's something BETTER about living in a place like that. Its OK, but its kind of like eating the same kind of food every night - you can survive on it but the variety is what keeps it interesting.

Days like today in the Philly area are just freaking wonderful. They don't happen often enough to be a real problem. They happen often enough to enjoy them and also to better appreciate the snow free times.

-Ray

rounder
12-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Near Baltimore. We just stayed home today and got snowed in. Planning to shovel out tomorrow morning and see what is out there. It would be fun to go for a ride if the roads are reasonably clear. Anyone riding today would have to be out of his mind. Not that i have not done dumb stuff before.

Johny
12-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Enjoy it! Turn on both front and rear lights. Watch out cars!

Ray
12-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Our patio this morning. Philly got 23 inches + and I think we're right about there as well.

I don't ride in this, lights, studded tires, nuttin. Sorry. Nice day for a walk though!

-Ray

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4200184830_2c7fdbf27e_o.jpg

dogdriver
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
How far will you ride?

:D Snowman Sandy :D

I think I made it about 15 miles in 2 hours on cold, granular snow. Sometimes we noodle along on hard snow that you could ride a cross bike on, other days its busting ass in the small ring down hill in 6 inches of fresh wet glop. Must always respect the conditions and pace accordingly, but its nice to be outside and always beats being in the gym or on the trainer!

learlove
12-21-2009, 01:51 AM
went out for about an hour on local roads an trails on my mtb. wasn't bad in the sun when the wind wasn't blowing. didn't see anyother cyclist, even along the river where there are always plenty.

Ti Designs
12-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I had left my mountain bike at work the last time I used it (good thing I work at a bike shop) so the hiking boots went on and I walked to work in about a foot of snow - I think I was the only one out there in a good mood. The shop closed almost as soon as it opened, but I had my mountain bike and I was dressed to roll, so I did. There are good snow tires for mountain bikes, and there are not so good snow tires. I was running Gazzi Duals, which are pretty good, but nowhere near the traction of the studded tires or my Panaracer Spikes. The Spikes always feel like I'm running two flat tires on dry roads, but in a few inches of snow they feel perfect. Two bad they stopped making them a few years back... Anyway, I was moving way faster than most traffic out on the roads. The combination of snow plows and snow covered secondary roads made getting anywhere by car slow going, but it was damn fun by bike. I stopped by a few friends, but everybody was either out or heading in that direction, so I just kept riding. The way home I faced a killer headwind which slowed me down at first. Then I figured out I could draft one of the big snow plows all the way up Mass ave. The trick is to pick the one that doesn't have the salt spreader on the back...

paczki
12-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Didn't ride too long, wanted to get in some skiing as well before an afternoon concert, but it was fun. Hard to clip in though. Ti Designs looked as happy as a polar bear in snow on his bike!

sashae
12-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I got a couple hours out riding here in NYC yesterday, what a mess! The pure white snow is fun, but man... the salt/sand/yuck/filth is awful. Threw the bike in the bathtub when I got home, and the black gook dripping off stained the tub!

(Still fun though ;) :banana:

Sandy
12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Still trying to decide if you snow cycling guys and gals are bold, brave, and fun loving, deserving of admiration and awe, or if you all have some cogs, both on your bikes and in your brains, frozen solid.

:) Snowbound Sandy :)

Mr. Squirrel
12-21-2009, 08:20 AM
i just looked down at the base of the tree and there is about three feet of snow on the ground, and no cyclists in view. i'm warm and have all the nuts i need. time to peruse flea bay for front wheels. see you in a few days.

mr. squirrel

PS: mr sandy, please ask king to refrain from marking my tree. :)

Sandy
12-21-2009, 08:30 AM
King marked your tree for the lumberjack as he can't climb to the top. King and I have the stove, pot, water, and the seasoning. Just missing the main ingredient for our Squirrel Stew. :)

:D Snowplow Sandy :D

Mr. Squirrel
12-21-2009, 10:15 AM
King marked your tree for the lumberjack as he can't climb to the top. King and I have the stove, pot, water, and the seasoning. Just missing the main ingredient for our Squirrel Stew. :)

:D Snowplow Sandy :D

well mr. sandy,

my cousin cletus and his bubbas are coming to visit today. it will be a wonderful time. does king like nuts?

mr. squirrel

http://50mm-fr.com/FR_Pics/GIFS/SquirrelBeerBackyard.gif

Sandy
12-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Um......I think that King won't be visiting anytime soon. Showed him the photo of your cousin and his bubbas. He said out loud that he never saw such a big squirrel.......and the rest of the gang looked rather scary......just before he ran upstairs to his bed, jumped in, and put the blanket over his head. Steroid Squirrel?? :)

;) Snowstorm Sandy ;)

Blue Jays
12-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Pedaled the full-suspension mountainbike on singletrack before it got too deep. The bit of snow definitely quieted the ride and smoothed some of the ruts.
The various rocks and roots (which are typically reasonably navigable) became considerably more challenging.
The trails were fun although I wouldn't want to be on very technical terrain much beyond an inch or two of fresh powder.
Was running Kenda Nevegal tires in 26.00" x 2.35" size and they seemed adequate when pumped a few pounds less than normal.

rdparadise
12-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, that's my golden-doodle, Lance, named after you guessed it. Armstrong.

His official name is Lancelot Dogstrong! :)

Bob

SEABREEZE
12-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Yes, that's my golden-doodle, Lance, named after you guessed it. Armstrong.

His official name is Lancelot Dogstrong! :)

Bob

You need to bring Lance over to meet Honey & Spice, my two doddles.