PDA

View Full Version : anyone prefer aluminum?

flickwet
12-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Weston my 13 year old has outgrown his Pinarello Suprise (52cm) which is a full Aluminum frame with a carbon fork, He does alright racing...in (USCF Junior) age group...2009 Ohio Road Race champion, First place tour d' Pur, first place Medina Twin Sizzler, its his first year. Well he wants another full Aluminum frame because he likes the way it sprints, what he really wants is a Cervelo s1, he likes the solidity, "the chock a block", feel of it, we are also looking at other frame sets can anyone recomend something they have ridden that has that ultra stiff kinda solid feel.

He would also like to switch from Shimano to sram, but we have a broad selection of Shimano spares, anyone think it would be an ultimate advantage to switch over now?

I'm really just trying to be bicycle thought provoking, BTW when he stops growing we'll look at something from our fearless leader (Serotta)

CNY rider
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I got 14 great years of cycling out of a Trek aluminum bike that was purchased in 1992.
Don't even know if they still make them but in terms of value for dollar spent that was one of the best things I ever bought.

rockdude
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Here is a real Al race bike built by a legend.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=50586&highlight=Pegoretti+love

jtferraro
12-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Sounds like your son is quite the junior racer - congrats! In my opinion, aluminum is perfect for him. I highly recommend the Cannondale CAAD9. Killer bang for buck and not the end of the world if it gets mangled in a crash. No, no 'ultimate advantage' re: switching over to SRAM (from Shimano).

caleb
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Rock Lobster or Primus Mootry will build just what you're looking for for around 1k. It'd be a better bike than the Cervelo.

I also forgot that Bianchi made a nice aluminum frame (http://www.bianchiusa.com/09-bicycles/09-b4p/1885-alu/09-b4p-1885-frame.html) last year.

Other than that, Cannondale Caad9s are cheap. Principias are nice too, if you can find one.

gasman
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Get a Caad 9.
Cheap, solid, well built and won't break the bank.
No reason to switch to sram if you have lots of shimano stuff. They all work well.

tv_vt
12-18-2009, 03:44 PM
There have been some nice Al Fondriests on eBay in smaller sizes. Don't know how big your son is, but you might ask him to check those out. Really nice frames. I've got a 60cm all-Al frame that's great. Not currently made - good ones were made around 2003-2004 (Top Level, Carb Level, Carb Level Plus).

soulspinner
12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Cannondale or if ya go custom give the STRONG man a call. After 6 years I still love my Strong.

Russity
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
My favourite new bike for 2010 that I've seen from the shows is the new Alu Merckx AMX-5.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/on-show-eurobike-2009-part-12/87978

A truly nice looking bike.

Steve in SLO
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
One of the best riding bikes I have ever had was my Specialized S-works M2 aluminum.
An Allez or Tarmac (not sure what the Al racing rigs are now called) is another bike to consider

Sounds like this might be moot in a year or two...he very well may be on a sponsored bike by then.

jvp
12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I won't buy aluminum again. My raleigh rush hour pro developed a hairline crack at the top of the seatube (as well as other identical bikes it turned out). Raleigh will not warranty the frame (because I rode it on the street!), and aluminum is not repairable apparently.

fourflys
12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
while a CAAD9 is nice, I gotta give props to the new Salsa Podio... scandium aluminum at a heck of a price! My Campeon rides really nice...

Salsa Podio Frame (http://salsacycles.com/podio09.html)

or if you decide to go Sram, they have a fully built up... (I think these can be had for under $1,800 now...)

Podio complete (http://salsacycles.com/podioComp09.html)

caleb
12-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Cannondale or if ya go custom give the STRONG man a call. After 6 years I still love my Strong.

Strong makes aluminum frames?

garysol1
12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
First bike that comes to my mind when the words solid and stiff and race are said is the BMC Racemaster.....Mix of Carbon and Aluminum give a decent ride but still absurdly stiff where needed

runtimmyc
12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I like my bike, which is a Kazane. It's all aluminum with a carbon fork. Full disclosure, they are my team's main sponsor :rolleyes:

dd74
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey, some of those al bikes are really nice. I've never owned an aluminum bike, so a couple questions?

1) Are they as horrifically stiff as some have said? Can't some compliance be dialed into the tire pressure and seat thickness, maybe even the seat tube?

2) Is the longevity of aluminum as "short" as some say, when compared to steel, Ti, and carbon?

John M
12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
An Al bike can be hard or as soft riding as the builder makes it. I have a Rocky Mountain CXR cross bike that is not harsh riding at all, even on 23mm road tires. It is plenty stiff for me, but I am not a big guy at 145 lbs.

Tires make a lot of difference. Any frame material with 28mm tires at 85 psi is going to feel smooth riding.

fourflys
12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey, some of those al bikes are really nice. I've never owned an aluminum bike, so a couple questions?

1) Are they as horrifically stiff as some have said? Can't some compliance be dialed into the tire pressure and seat thickness, maybe even the seat tube?

2) Is the longevity of aluminum as "short" as some say, when compared to steel, Ti, and carbon?

my scandium aluminum bike is really pretty comfy, I don't see any difference in it and my Serotta Concours Ti....

JeffS
12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I had an s-works E5 that I really liked - better than the Cannondale's I've ridden. They can be found for a good price on ebay.

If you want something more unique, think about a Spooky Skeletor. I've also liked the Salsa frames I've ridden.

bigman
12-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Kermis is an awesome rig - tough to find. Columbus Airplane tubing with a bunch of carbon in the rear.

1centaur
12-18-2009, 06:14 PM
As the carbon guy around here, I'd say aluminum is just another form of metal, not horrifically stiff. By this I mean that bump transmission in metal is different from the same in CF. Steel being the baseline, Ti is very close to steel (might as well be steel, IMO) and alu is a little more direct. As always, I reject the notion that a framebuilder can make any material feel any way he wants, especially within the 1-2 lb weight difference between road bike frames. Framebuilders can tinker around the edge of their material's properties, but they won't transform them. Rider anecdotes about super comfortable alu bikes reflect personal perception differences that can be affected by many things, including frame of reference (pun), road quality, sensitivity, and more.

I think a modern alu frame will be likely be felt by most riders who focus on feel rather than function as stiffer than most steel/Ti/CF bikes but well within the bounds of normal riding expectations for comfort. On a 60 mile ride on crappy roads, same wheels and tire pressure, you are more likely to notice less comfort from alu than other materials (and probably perceive more efficiency, true or not). Using more comfortable wheels and tire pressure should overcome the difference between materials, IMO. On smooth roads, I feel no difference between alu and CF.

BTW, no, I don't think the seat post will make a significant comfort difference.

false_Aest
12-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Dude,

Get him a Spooky Skeletor.
Bitchin' geometry.
~1,000g for a frame. That's less than 85 cents a gram.

And seriously, What teen wouldn't want a bike named after the "Evil Lord of Destruction"

1centaur
12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
double post

ThirtyEast
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
+1 for the Spooky Skeletor. Love that bike.
I've come to love Aluminum bikes over the last couple years. The notion that they are automatically uncomfortable or overly conductive of vibration is just wrong. It all depends on what grade of material is used and how the frame is constructed. Too many riders are used to cheap, poorly-designed Al frames, which the Spooky is not. The CAAD9 frames are nice as well. The Gaulzettis are my favorite of the last year, though.

learlove
12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I like AL. My merckx is AL (leader). I've owned steel merckxs like the corsa extra, MXL and Corsa 01. While all were incrediable bikes in the end I prefered the AL merckx (leader) the best. As of today it is my "everyday" road riding bike (i don't race anymore).

Back in my junior days (1988 to 1993) I had 2 cannondales (an 87 crit and an 90 3.0) and for a short time a pinarello. The cannondale was a fine junior race bike then and I will assume today also. I'd recommend the Caad 9 5 (shimano 105 at $1300) for any junior or cat 5 to 3 racer. Also look at the Van Dessel Hellafaster or the mentioned Spookey. Really though at the junior level and especially at the younger age class in the juniors any AL bike that fits and has a good set of wheels will do. Its all about the rider and the time he/she puts into it that counts. Nothing will replace miles in his legs (but not too too much as a junior or he will burn out.)

Good luck and I hope your son stays with it, some of the best days of my life were spent with the friends I made as a junior racer.

snah
12-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I like AL. My merckx is AL (leader). I've owned steel merckxs like the corsa extra, MXL and Corsa 01. While all were incrediable bikes in the end I prefered the AL merckx (leader) the best. As of today it is my "everyday" road riding bike (i don't race anymore).

Back in my junior days (1988 to 1993) I had 2 cannondales (an 87 crit and an 90 3.0) and for a short time a pinarello. The cannondale was a fine junior race bike then and I will assume today also. I'd recommend the Caad 9 5 (shimano 105 at $1300) for any junior or cat 5 to 3 racer. Also look at the Van Dessel Hellafaster or the mentioned Spookey. Really though at the junior level and especially at the younger age class in the juniors any AL bike that fits and has a good set of wheels will do. Its all about the rider and the time he/she puts into it that counts. Nothing will replace miles in his legs (but not too too much as a junior or he will burn out.)

Good luck and I hope your son stays with it, some of the best days of my life were spent with the friends I made as a junior racer.

+1 on the Merckx, love mine.

soulspinner
12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Strong makes aluminum frames?

I know he used to, perhaps that has changed, looked at his website and I see no pricing for it.......

vqdriver
12-19-2009, 12:39 AM
If he wants SRAM, I say indulge him. All you need are shifters and a rear der. You can use all you other shimano stuff since I think most people do That to silence it anyways.

vqdriver
12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
For a budget custom frame try tsunami frames. Full AL custom for ~700. Ive only heard good things.

54ny77
12-19-2009, 01:04 AM
yes, they're great, but call me biased...

and frames start around $550 or so (excl. fork).

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_4918.jpg

For a budget custom frame try tsunami frames. Full AL custom for ~700. Ive only heard good things.

JeffS
12-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I know he used to, perhaps that has changed, looked at his website and I see no pricing for it.......

He posted recently that he stopped advertising them because he doesn't particularly like welding them - smell/fumes. It sounded like he would still build one if you asked nicely.

gforce
12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't know if I prefer aluminum but it certainly is fun to ride. I would
not give up my Merckx Team SC for anything.

learlove
12-19-2009, 11:19 PM
also I recommend if your son is only 13 and has outgrown a 52cm already (unless you have mucho cash) i just buy him AL frames off ebay that fit until he is around 17/18 and stops sprouting.

Plenty of cdales/felts/bianchis ect. on ebay. get a decent component group like say rival/ultegra/centaur(athena), a nice set of race wheels and training wheels then in the next few years as he gets bigger just swap the components/wheels to new frames that fit.

flickwet
12-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Perfect! I knew posting would open my eyes to something that was just right. Thank you, My wallet thanks you and Weston thanks you. BTW he went from 5'5" in 09 to 5'10" today and he'll be 14 on Jan 16. He rides with the Summit Freewheelers and by the end of 09 training season was winning all climbs and sprints on training rides not to mention his racing. Also, have never pushed him, only encouraged, heck he chose to take French in school for that day on the podium ...someday.

flickwet
12-19-2009, 11:34 PM
also I recommend if your son is only 13 and has outgrown a 52cm already (unless you have mucho cash) i just buy him AL frames off ebay that fit until he is around 17/18 and stops sprouting.

Plenty of cdales/felts/bianchis ect. on ebay. get a decent component group like say rival/ultegra/centaur(athena), a nice set of race wheels and training wheels then in the next few years as he gets bigger just swap the components/wheels to new frames that fit.

Thats what we have been doing, ergo the Pinarelllo, but wanted to explore more of what's out there, Really like the Spooky, American made, good Karma, solid, light and made to be fast, a steal to boot.

learlove
12-20-2009, 12:41 AM
here is a sample from ebay. I assume if he has outgrown the 52 then he is ready for a 54.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUJI-Roubaix-Ltd-Toyota-United-Frameset-Frame-Fork-54cm_W0QQitemZ280438213683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item414b6b8c33

bet this frame will go for 500 to 600. I'd say that is a pretty good deal. he will probibly get 2 seasons out of it (size wise).

BTW if he is 13 and already outgrown a 52cm I bet he pushing 5ft 9in plus. I'm 5ft 8.5in and always fall between a 52 or 53/54. Sounds like he will be a tall kid, the next George H.