PDA

View Full Version : CDA - quantify the ride

gabbard
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Is the CDA designed usually as a bit more of a comfort bike, similar to the Fierte in a nicer tubeset, or designed as a "race" bike? I assume that you can have them any way that you want, within the limits of the tubing, but does that tubeset usually give more of a stiffer feel? I currently have a Rivendell Road bike, and would like something on the other end of the spectrum, handling and feel wise.

Can anybody tell me about what a 58 or 60 cm frame weighs?

Thanks a ton.

Steve

Serotta PETE
02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
CDA or CIII would be a great addition. They both ride well and I can not say one rides better than the other. It is a personal choice.

As to what they weigh???? I think as little as SANDY>>>>

Honestly, I do not know what the weight is and it will be dependent on which fork, sloping top or standard design

Either is light for what it is.....PETE

bcm119
02-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Your assumption is correct, it can be built any way you'd like in terms of geometry. "Stiffness" is determined by the choice of tubeset, so you can have it any way you like in that department too.

In general, steel Serottas are not very flexy, if that is what you're asking. A new CDA would feel pretty stiff and responsive compared to your Riv. It will have shorter chainstays and have a more direct feeling of power transfer. It would be a nice contrast, and I'll bet you end up spending more time on it. A 58 would probably be somewhere between 3.3 and 3.6 lbs w/o fork, but thats just a guess. My 58.5 CIII weighs about that.

Ken Robb
02-24-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a 62cm Rambouillet w/Open Pros and Cnti 700x28 tires. I rode a CDA 59cm w/Ksyriums and 700x23 tires and O2 fork. I felt every crack and pebble in the road. I have 58cm CSi w/F1 and 700x25tires, and a 60cm Legend w/O2 fork, Ksyriums w/700x23 Contis. Neither is as harsh as the CDA that I rode. NOW, I think the shop pumped the tires on the CDA to 120psi and I don't run more than 110psi on my 700x23s so the whole thing may come down to tires.
FWIW, my Riv. Allrounder also rides harder than the Rambo.
If the Rambo rides like my M3 the Serottas are more like a Corvette: not that they are so much faster but they are more eager to change direction. Sometimes that's fun. None of these bikes is unstable in fast descents. I have had problems with that in other bikes. I think you ought to get a Serotta with stock geometry. It's fun to have two different "good" bikes so toy have one for every mood.

tch
02-25-2005, 04:51 PM
compared the ride of a Rambouillet to an M3. Not that I dislike my bike -- far from it. But it feels big and rangey and solid, much happier going straight or downhill than carving up corners.

Ken Robb
02-25-2005, 08:01 PM
well after hundreds of thousands of miles on motorcycles all bicycles feel pretty "flickable" to me. I absolutely wouldn't want any bicycle quicker steering than my CSi or Legend.