PDA

View Full Version : The Serotta of tripods

ChamUK
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I know that plenty of people here are into photography. I came across what I call the Serotta of tripods. It's carbon fiber, made in the U.S., super high quality, and big bucks! I have never tried one in person, but I'm sure it's nice. I am not connected to this company whatsoever.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TVC-33&eq=&Tp=

paulrad9
11-25-2009, 02:30 PM
So what are the benefits here, stiffer than other tripods? Better adapts to the curvature of the earth? Do models run for cover (in the arms of the photographer?) fearing it will explode?

dave thompson
11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
So what are the benefits here, stiffer than other tripods? Better adapts to the curvature of the earth? Do models run for cover (in the arms of the photographer?) fearing it will explode?
I would venture to say that the tripod is much lighter than other tripods of the same size and weight carrying capability. Try hauling a 4x5 camera and the necessary tripod in the mountains looking for the perfect alpine shot; weight makes a huge difference!

false_Aest
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
As a large format photographer I spent a good deal of time nerding over tripods and tripod heads (that's the thing your camera connects to).

My camera weighs 7lbs.
Each film holder weighs around .75 lb--I carry 5-10
Lens is 1.5 lbs.
Darkcloth is 1lb.
Lightmeter is .5 lbs.
Random shyte is another 2lbs.

A cheap tripod will weigh 7-10lbs. A cheap head might weigh 4-5. This easily doubles my kit weight.

My camera kit could easily weigh 30-35lbs.

I opted for the CF Gitzo GT3541L--5lbs. And a pan/tilt head 2.5lbs. Weight of tripod and head is 7.5lbs. Considering that I carry all this stuff on my back (and yes, sometimes while I'm on my bike) saving ~8lbs is well worth the $1,100 price tag.

Besides weight savings, my tripod comes with a lifetime warranty that extends beyond the original owner, it shoots as low as 12", extends to 72", has metal spikes if I need added stability for location stuff.

AND

The Hi-Fi Low-Fi vibration dampening offers me a decent amount of THWACK while keeping the buzz from my hands if I ever need to defend myself from thugs. (Yeah, I actually have used my tripod to keep a would-be mugger away.)

Cheap tripods will have legs that bind up when you collapse or extend them. If the legs are cheap alum., you can easily bend them. The tripods that we have for student check-out (I run a univ. darkroom) have clamps that frequently pinch student's fingers (higher end tripods are more "ergo"). Carbon Fiber is much "warmer" on your bare hands when you're shooting in the winter. Usually, more expensive tripods hold more weight---this means that they'll work for el-cheapo cameras as well as pro dSLRs (and their lenses) ... possibly up to large format stuff (e.g. mine works for a dSLR up to an 8x10 camera).

As for the O.P's. tripod and the link provided. . . That vibration dampening graph and the text that goes with it should be included on Rock Racing's website. It's kind've a whole lot of blahblahblah (IMHOATMO).

cadence90
11-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Can I just say something?

This stuff has become excessive, really.

I'm sure that tripod is fine, but many can be found, equally worthy, at 1/2 the $.

I use a Deardorff 5x7, and the whole kit is heavier than hell itself. But I enjoy it. If you are a large-format photographer and your main concern is tripod weight, you're missing the big picture (pun intended) and a few back muscles. I have been a photographer for over 35 years, studied under the best, and have images in the Getty, etc. My tripod is a beautiful, pretty light, extremely stable, extremely vibration-damping blah-blah-blah, wood Majestic that I got, used but mint, at a camera swap meet for under $50. It's perfect. It does (and has done for at least 30 years) everything that tripod claims to be able to do.

Gitzo are also very, very good.

Smaller, lighter cameras? Star-D are just fine. Cheap, light, strong. Bontrager's maxim obliterated.

That thing is just the photo-equivalent of carbon-fiber stays on a cheap alu frame: much more $$$, not much bang at all, imo.

Ti Designs
11-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Are we still talking tripods???

cadence90
11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Are we still talking tripods???
No, we're not.

We moved on to hamster kilts some time ago.

You didn't get the PM?

false_Aest
11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
If you are a large-format photographer and your main concern is tripod weight, you're missing the big picture (pun intended) and a few back muscles.

That thing is just the photo-equivalent of carbon-fiber stays on a cheap alu frame: much more $$$, not much bang at all, imo.

Point 1: No. Well, Kinda', maybe . . . hrm . . . not always. I can think of two photographers (Nick Nixon and Joel Sternfeld) that probably wouldn't be making their current work if they had to lug around heavy ass 8x10s and wooden tripods. Nick has said as much in class and . . . well . . . Joel just seems kind've lazy.

Point 2: Yes. Kind've.

Point 3: I'm glad I'm not the only person shooting 5x7 these days. Incidentally, did you hear that Badger Graphic is putting together an order for color 5x7 from Kodak?

Point 4: Excessive? You're talking to people on a forum supported by a bicycle company that produces a $24,000 bicycle.

note: my points are out of order.

Louis
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
My desires - perfectly reasonable and easily justified

Others desires - usually silly, often wretched excess

If only everyone were just like me.

Rueda Tropical
11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.berlebach.de/?sprache=english

Natures carbon fiber. Cheaper then Carbon Fiber tripods and just as functional.

cadence90
11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Point 1: No. Well, Kinda', maybe . . . hrm . . . not always. I can think of two photographers (Nick Nixon and Joel Sternfeld) that probably wouldn't be making their current work if they had to lug around heavy ass 8x10s and wooden tripods. Nick has said as much in class and . . . well . . . Joel just seems kind've lazy.
You studied with Nixon? At MCAD I guess. Excellent. He's great, really great.

I thought he only worked in 8 x 10 though (Sternfeld too). :confused: Does he still photograph 365 days a year?

I wonder how a c-f tripod deals with salt-water, etc. That's one reason I like my wood Majestic; it can take any abuse, is pretty light, it's warm, matches my camera, and is essentially indestructible. Plus, $50 spread over 30 years = a pretty good return on investment.

I had not heard of the Badger/Kodak thing. Thanks.

I know, but a 24K bike is pretty damned excessive too. But if people want it....

I like your work, by the way.

Len J
11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
You studied with Nixon? At MCAD I guess. Excellent. He's great, really great.

I thought he only worked in 8 x 10 though (Sternfeld too). :confused: Does he still photograph 365 days a year?

I wonder how a c-f tripod deals with salt-water, etc. That's one reason I like my wood Majestic; it can take any abuse, is pretty light, it's warm, matches my camera, and is essentially indestructible. Plus, $50 spread over 30 years = a pretty good return on investment.

I had not heard of the Badger/Kodak thing. Thanks.

I know, but a 24K bike is pretty damned excessive too. But if people want it....

I like your work, by the way.

I've had my Gitzo CF pod in salt water, fresh water, mud, sludge, and many things I probably don't want to know the details of.........a good spraydown with water when I get home and a good drying and no problems at all......and it weighs less, transmits vibration better and is stable as a rock.

IMO....buy the best pod & head you can once....and then never look back.

YMMV

Len

xjoex
11-26-2009, 12:37 PM
When I was mountaineering and carried a Leica M6, with a few lenses or a Leica Digilux 1 I carried a Velbon Ultra Maxi. It was a $100 tripod that packed small and weighed very little.

I liked it.

-Joe

amgc36
11-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I wonder how many Serotta owners/fans are also enthusiast photogs or audiophiles.

As to the OP, I find that twist locks on carbon fiber legs can be annoying to work with. I have 2 Gitzo CF tripods as well as a nice Manfrotto that has this quick release where the alum. legs slide out. But I prefer my Velbon CF most of all. For those who shoot landscapes, time may not matter but in crowds and on the go, speed of setup and breakdown is important.

The tripod mentioned does look nice but it isn't that tall extended. The 50lb load rating is impressive but I would not trust 50 lbs on a 4 lb tripod unless the legs were splayed wide. Still, it is nice to see local entrepreneurs pushing the limits of technology.

pbjbike
11-26-2009, 09:47 PM
I've got a big 'ol Bogen with head that I'm looking to unload. The poor man's Gitzo :).

merlinmurph
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM

I'm sure that tripod is fine, but many can be found, equally worthy, at 1/2 the $.

99% of the general population would say the same thing about Serotta frames. :p

r_mutt
11-27-2009, 02:49 PM
the serotta of tripods would be gitzo. end of discussion.

BumbleBeeDave
11-27-2009, 03:07 PM
. . . at ISO 3200 and you'll never have to worry about buying a tripod.

Grain? Why, no, that's "art!" :D ;)

BBD

rePhil
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
I made a living using the invisible tripod.
http://www.ken-lab.com/stabilizers.html#KS8

I should change my screen name. I no longer make my living trying to make cool images.