PDA

View Full Version : Honda brings you bike simulation...

rwsaunders
11-24-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/honda-to-launch-bicycle-simulator-24117

Dekonick
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
A computrainer costs A LOT less...

Still - I give Honda two ergo's up for the effort!

dumbod
11-25-2009, 06:19 AM
I love it.

Honda's approach to bike/car problems is to retrain the bike rider. What about training the morons in the 4,000 lb vehicles?

Ray
11-25-2009, 06:30 AM
I love it.

Honda's approach to bike/car problems is to retrain the bike rider. What about training the morons in the 4,000 lb vehicles?
Did you read the article? The device is intended for drivers to help them appreciate the risks faced by cyclists and learn how to interact with cyclists on the road. They're aiming it at DRIVING SCHOOLS, police forces, and colleges.

I don't know how effective it will be, but I don't see a downside to the attempt...

-Ray

paulrad9
11-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Did you read the article? The device is intended for drivers to help them appreciate the risks faced by cyclists and learn how to interact with cyclists on the road. They're aiming it at DRIVING SCHOOLS, police forces, and colleges.

I don't know how effective it will be, but I don't see a downside to the attempt...

-Ray

No machine can teach empathy

Ray
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
No machine can teach empathy
Of course not, but if it can put you in someone else's shoes and get you to see the world they see (instead of the version you see from the driver's seat), it might put SOME people in the position to use the empathy they already have but haven't really applied in this situation before. I'm not endorsing it as some kind of huge leap forward or panacea, but it seems like an honest attempt at doing something right, and I surely don't see any HARM in it.

Damn, tough crowd around here this morning. I guess its true that no good deed goes unpunished! :cool:

-Ray

rwsaunders
11-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Ray is on the money.....

According to Honda, it will help people "improve their ability to predict risks and increase safety awareness" by letting them experience the possible risks faced by cyclists.

paulrad9
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Damn, tough crowd around here this morning. I guess its true that no good deed goes unpunished! :cool:

-Ray

Well, it's been wet here and we're expecting snow tonight, so I'm sad the only bike time I get this time of the year is on my beater bike...does it show in my posts? ;)

cmg
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
wouldn't it be cheaper to have the driver ride a bike in traffic before issuing them an auto driver's license? but honda won't be able to recoupe the developmental costs of their gadget. it's the high tech gadget no driver school will ever be able to afford. it's cheaper to say don't hit the cyclist on the side of the road and be on to the next lesson.

paulrad9
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't remember what state has this law, but before a citizen can buy a Taser, they need to be Tasered them self.

So, using the same approach, anyone who wants to drive a car has to first ride a bike through their neighbor hood, get yelled out by a soccer mom who can't wait for the light to turn green and wants to make a right turn around you NOW, have a bottle thrown at them from a car full of frat boys and get doored by a Fresh Direct delivery truck.

Ray
11-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't remember what state has this law, but before a citizen can buy a Taser, they need to be Tasered them self.

So, using the same approach, anyone who wants to drive a car has to first ride a bike through their neighbor hood, get yelled out by a soccer mom who can't wait for the light to turn green and wants to make a right turn around you NOW, have a bottle thrown at them from a car full of frat boys and get doored by a Fresh Direct delivery truck.
Maybe they should do that with handguns and assault weapons (anything not arguably hunting related and I guess PETA would even insist that hunting rifles be included). You can have one, but you have to get shot first to know what its like! I'm sure the NRA would support that legislation. :cool:

I think the point is that actually putting a rank beginner out in traffic on a bike is not going to be instructive, its just gonna be terrifying. They'd probably come back with the attitude that anyone doing that voluntarily has to be clinically insane and the only righteous thing to do is hit as many of them as possible before they have a chance to reproduce and create yet more crazy people! The simulator gives them a feel for it without putting their lives at any actual risk. I think its a good idea, given all of the implementation headaches that are inevitable.

-Ray