PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Etiquette

snah
11-24-2009, 11:52 AM
With all the threads popping up discussing proper group riding, got me wondering. When approaching a stop light in traffic, is it acceptable to ride past stopped vehicles and move to the front of the intersection? I've been riding, in some form or another, for almost 20 years and have never had an incident, but recent discussions on being "ambassadors" got me thinking.

csm
11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I do. I think it's much safer. just watch for the right turn lane.

jvp
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I usually filter slowly forward to at least where I know I will make the light once it turns green, and in a slot that I can see ahead and around me better. Sometimes it's all the way up, sometimes not.

false_Aest
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
IMO it depends on the light/sign in question.

There are a few lights around here that I wouldn't ride up front for: e.g. lights right before hwy on-ramps.
----

I think the best traffic etiquette is to avoid doing stuff that would make you say, "*** ARE YOU DOING YOU DUMB BASTARD?!?" when you're behind the wheel.

EddieBirdsell
11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
IMO it depends on the light/sign in question.

There are a few lights around here that I wouldn't ride up front for: e.g. lights right before hwy on-ramps.
----

I think the best traffic etiquette is to avoid doing stuff that would make you say, "*** ARE YOU DOING YOU DUMB BASTARD?!?" when you're behind the wheel.

Excellent approach. It's all contextual to me. Which course is the safest and will least likely enrage the motorists?

OtayBW
11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Personally, I almost always take my place immediately behind the driver of the vehicle ahead of me - just like any vehicle. If I can keep up or exceed the flow of traffic, I usually stay in it until such time as I can no longer keep up; then, it's off to the right. But yes, it depends on the situation.

But that's just me...

EDIT - In view of the 'Group Rides' thread, here is a situation that really calls for some group behavior, IMO. Even with a small group, it's common for one person to do what I tend to do ^, and another to sneak up the side. I could live with either one, but not both...

jvp
11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
To "enrage" via doing stupid traffic maneuvers is one thing, but I don't really care if someone sitting in a line of cars starts muttering vile spew because I rode slowly by them on their right.

rugbysecondrow
11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=OtayBW]Personally, I almost always take my place immediately behind the driver of the vehicle ahead of me - just like any vehicle. If I can keep up or exceed the flow of traffic, I usually stay in it until such time as I can no longer keep up; then, it's off to the right. But yes, it depends on the situation.

QUOTE]

I do this, mainly because I am more visable and predictable. Plus, I believe in being part of traffic until I no longer can be, then I move over. I think most cars are not expecting to see a biker riding along the side of them, so I don't do it. I stay behind the cars where I can see them, they can see me and we are understood.

OtayBW
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=OtayBW]Personally, I almost always take my place immediately behind the driver of the vehicle ahead of me - just like any vehicle. If I can keep up or exceed the flow of traffic, I usually stay in it until such time as I can no longer keep up; then, it's off to the right. But yes, it depends on the situation.

QUOTE]

I do this, mainly because I am more visable and predictable. Plus, I believe in being part of traffic until I no longer can be, then I move over. I think most cars are not expecting to see a biker riding along the side of them, so I don't do it. I stay behind the cars where I can see them, they can see me and we are understood.
Exactamundo.

Ray
11-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I employ situational ethics in these matters. On my recreational rides, I'm generally far enough out in the sticks that its irrelevant. But for my in-town riding, my basic criteria is if its gonna interfere with a driver's next move or few moves (and likely piss 'em off), I won't do it. If it won't, and I have something to gain by it, I usually will. Case in point, lots of one way streets in my town. There are a couple of intersections I go through a lot that I'm usually going straight through on my bike, but where the vast majority of cars are turning (right at one, left at the other). At the light where most of the traffic will be turning right, I generally ride up the left side and stop at the light, to the left of the line of cars. So if anyone can turn right on red, I'm not interfering with them and they're not wondering about my intentions. When the light turns, I proceed through the intersection on the left side of the road and then when I get across, I look back to see if a car is coming straight through. If so, I let them pass before pulling back into the lane - more typically, I have the lane to myself as soon as I get through the intersection. Same thing at the other intersection, but I go up the right because most of the traffic is turning left.

When in doubt, I just take my place in traffic like I was another car. When there's a clear upside and no downside to jumping the line, though, I'll do it.

-Ray

jpw
11-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I think it depends on what type of vehicle(s) is ahead of you in the queue of traffic. If there's a big truck or lorry up there in front of you then stay well behind it. If it's dark and wet then get ahead of the last vehicle in the queue so you don't get sandwiched by a speedster who can't stop in time and skids into your rear wheel. Make sure drivers see you go past - have a look back and make eye contact; let them know you're there.

Dekonick
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I just try to act like a car as much as possible. Be predictable and no one gets upset. I stop for (most) stop signs, use hand signals, stop behind the car in front of me, etc...

I also wave and say thanks to drivers who give me right of way - even if it was required. A smile and a thank you goes a long way...

Same for the finger... :no:

MattTuck
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
If there's a big truck or lorry up there in front...

You said "lorry"!! HA!

In my riding, I claim my place in line in the lane, and don't zoom up the side next to idling traffic. That said, many cyclists blow by me up to the front of the line. I then have to pass their asses after the light turns green. In my opinion, the fewer cars that pass me (and thus have a chance to hit me), the better.

toaster
11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Being near the front means the first car lets off the brake and begins to go through the intersection and you on a bicycle can anticipate and get through before other cars can react and start passing you.

If you are further back in the line of cars by the time you get up to speed the other vehicles are going faster and you become more of a obstacle.

bzbvh5
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
With all the threads popping up discussing proper group riding, got me wondering. When approaching a stop light in traffic, is it acceptable to ride past stopped vehicles and move to the front of the intersection? I've been riding, in some form or another, for almost 20 years and have never had an incident, but recent discussions on being "ambassadors" got me thinking.
The answer is no. Wait your turn like others do. I don't think it's fair no matter how fast you can pedal. Cars behind you got there after you, they will have to wait their turn or go around.

FL_MarkD
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
If there is a marked bike lane or clearly marked 'shoulder lane' then I move forward. If not then I don't move up if there are cars in line. Many times they have just passed me (or our group) and moving up just so they must pass us again on a tight road causes ill will and more chance for an incident.

Mark

rustychain
11-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Laws on this differ in several states and are mostly aimed at motorcycles. Its my understanding that this is allowed for motorcycles in California for example. I have done this around police cars in my state of Va without problems. IMO it's safer to carefully go to the front. The sooner you clear the intersection before cars try to pass the better. Make sure you don't block anyone trying to turn right however. If your worried about being rude, wave and smile. It works wonders :beer:

maximus
11-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Riding in urban traffic is tough. I think every movement requires a quick, but carefully made decision on what is safest for you and those around you.

That being said, I think it is appropriate to move to the front (given that you watch for right turning vehicles and jaywalking pedestrians. The general rule I follow is, the more visible - the better. A driver is likely to be more aware of you if you are in front, than if you are approaching from the rear. This is accounting that some sort of shoulder is present. If the squeeze is tight, just be patient.

As a bicycle commuter, I think an offensive maneuver such as moving to the front is your best form of defense if done right.

dsteady
11-26-2009, 07:29 AM
. . . The sooner you clear the intersection before cars try to pass the better. Make sure you don't block anyone trying to turn right however. If your worried about being rude, wave and smile. It works wonders :beer:

Not trying to be contentious, but I don't understand this logic. At least not in Chicago. Here most cars jump off the line and if I'm at the head of the intersection, clipping-in, I become much more of an obstacle as well as becoming a potential fatality to the red-light runners approaching from either left or right (There's always one. Or two. Or three.)

gemship
11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Not trying to be contentious, but I don't understand this logic. At least not in Chicago. Here most cars jump off the line and if I'm at the head of the intersection, clipping-in, I become much more of an obstacle as well as becoming a potential fatality to the red-light runners approaching from either left or right (There's always one. Or two. Or three.)

+1 Just ask Darcy Sheppard. Oh wait... he's dead now. Flame away!

rustychain
11-27-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm guessing that your to far to the right in the lane then. Take your lane

Tom
11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Sure, if there's a half a mile of cars waiting and I have a shoulder past the light. That's common in two places on one morning loop. I can clip in and be gone before the first driver even reacts to the light change. If I wait in the first spot it's just stupid and in the second spot it's actually dangerous to wait. Pull up to the second car in line and slot in.

In town, no, because generally I'm within the first half dozen cars and I can easily keep up with traffic in that situation.

Do what makes sense. Sticking to one rule in all cases is never a good idea.

rugbysecondrow
11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
+1 Just ask Darcy Sheppard. Oh wait... he's dead now. Flame away!

Cheap.

gemship
11-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Cheap.
:p I've been called that before. I may also add to that, my response was instant and really the circumstances of Sheppard's fate certainly do differ from the post I responded. Nonetheless if your on a bike you should ride defensively and assume nothing except you yourself are in control of your safety on the roadway. Cars are much heavier and faster and most car drivers see bicyclist as a nuisance.

Also when one is on two wheels they are never really in complete control.

Jeff N.
11-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll usually make my way to the front if I think I can get there before the light turns green. Jeff N.