PDA

View Full Version : cyclecomputer recommendations ?

adamoneil
02-22-2005, 08:36 AM
My girlfriend accidentally dropped my CicloMaster 434 last night, and broke it. I did the same thing myself with my previous CicloMaster. Those are good computers, but too fragile, I've decided. (But they do work well in rain.) They were both ones with altimeters, and so kind of expensive--for me.

Anyone have any recommendations for a *durable* computer?

I've considered going completely sans-computer, but I enjoy writing down my time and miles too much.

Hard Fit
02-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Personally, I just get the cheapest thing I can find that does the job. I find that for whatever reason, the things don't last long enough to justify spending a lot of money on them. I either accidently rip out a cable, etc. With a cheap one you don't care, you just go buy another cheap one.

wanderingwheel
02-22-2005, 04:54 PM
The only computer I know of that is sold as durable is the Cateye Enduro, but that's just a standard computer with a heavy guage wire that is still weak at the connections. I've had very good luck with the single-button Echowell computer--it's the first computer that didn't tell me I was doing 200 in the rain. I don't know about its drop durability, it's nearly impossible to remove the head from the mount so I haven't had an opportunity to test it.

Sean

Serotta PETE
02-22-2005, 05:29 PM
CATEYE Wireless has worked well for me.. A friend has the new MAVIC that connects to front quick release and it seems to work well also.

PETE

Wayne77
02-22-2005, 05:36 PM
I bought a Polar s720i earlier this year and loved all the cool features. I sat there for hours staring at all the super neato graphs and ride profiles downloaded from the watch onto pc. Then one day I realized I was only using the basic cycling functions and got sick of running out of memory and toggling through all the complex functions so I sold it on Ebay for 90% of what I paid.

Now I have a Cateye Mity8. $25 from Performance. Simple, Functional. Heaven. :) The rest went to a pending CIII purchase.

Orin
02-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I bought a Polar s720i earlier this year and loved all the cool features. I sat there for hours staring at all the super neato graphs and ride profiles downloaded from the watch onto pc. Then one day I realized I was only using the basic cycling functions and got sick of running out of memory and toggling through all the complex functions so I sold it on Ebay for 90% of what I paid.

Now I have a Cateye Mity8. $25 from Performance. Simple, Functional. Heaven. :) The rest went to a pending CIII purchase.

Polar is a pretty good heart rate monitor with a bike computer bolted on. If you add the power unit, then that's bolted onto the bike computer part ;) and reliability disappears (IME of course). Don't expect to download accurate distance measurements from the Polar - they download speed in mph to one decimal place and integrate to get distance. I use a Cateye Velo 2 that I got cheap at Performance for distance and time as well as the Polar. I'm not the only one running a Polar AND a cheapy computer.

My favorite computer is the Specialized p-brain. Usual functions plus heart rate plus altitude plus storing data at 10/20/60 second intervals and computer download. It doesn't like rain... a baggy and rubber band over computer plus mount fixes that though.

Orin.

Zoomie80
02-23-2005, 05:28 AM
I've had good luck with Cateye...have a Mity 8 that's 10+ years old and still working (replaced batteries a few times!) and survived a few drops. I also have a Cateye wireless that's been very reliable, even in rain and when riding in groups where other folks havef wireless. You can get a good deal on "last year" models, often at 50% discount at LBS and online.

Zoomie

William
02-23-2005, 06:13 AM
The old Avocet 40 is still running strong after 8-9 years of continuous use between my bikes. It used to be purple but the sun has faded it to a pink. :rolleyes: No problems in the rain sleet or snow. Replace batteries once a year, survived a number or wipe outs, tells me everything I want to know. Cheap and I can't complain at all.

William

Rapid Tourist
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I too bought a Polar 720i for a new bike recently and was disappointed. I found that it was too finicky with running out of memory, and twice in 6 weeks the speed sensor unit stopped working, requiring a mail trip back to Polar for service. I prefer a reliable computer personally.

I switched to a Specialized which I love. It has a super big font, and measures geeky stuff like incline and altitude and temperature. Love it. Now I use the Polar for heartrate and the Specialized for bike stuff. overkill, yes. :rolleyes:

1centaur
02-23-2005, 07:25 PM
That computer is advertised as being able to show altimeter fuinctions off the bike. I am interested in a pretty accurate cumulative altimeter calculator I can keep on my wrist (Lance 4 is not accurate at all for me; Suunto's just don't seem to measure often enough; my Vetta works great on the bike but I prefer Flight Deck), but some of those computers only show SOME altimeter functions, like current altitude, when not hooked up to the speed sensor. So, does this one provide ALL altimeter fuinctions off the bike?

Johnnyg
02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
the cateye mity 8 and the cateye wireless are durable and a good value. :beer:

toaster
02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
I've got 4 Cateye Mity 8's. Performance Bike or Nashbar has sold them as low as $14 and I buy 'em.

Simple, basic, bulletproof, easy to remember functions. No need for anymore complexity.

Well, cadence would be nice.

Ozz
02-25-2005, 08:05 AM
That computer is advertised as being able to show altimeter fuinctions off the bike. I am interested in a pretty accurate cumulative altimeter calculator I can keep on my wrist (Lance 4 is not accurate at all for me; Suunto's just don't seem to measure often enough; my Vetta works great on the bike but I prefer Flight Deck), but some of those computers only show SOME altimeter functions, like current altitude, when not hooked up to the speed sensor. So, does this one provide ALL altimeter fuinctions off the bike?
Avocet makes a pretty nice one. You can configure to measure cumulative gain for riding, but also cumulative descent for skiing. It takes measurements every six seconds or so, so for short rolling hills it may be be too accurate, but overall it is pretty nice. I forget the model name, but it has been around since 1993 or so....I picked one up in '95 and it is still going strong.

The only downside is that it eats batteries pretty quickly - especially if you forget to turn off the measuring function. :crap:

Back on topic...I've had good luck with a Specialized computer - made by Cateye - it has lasted 8+ years - still working. The cateye on my old mountain bike was also pretty durable. Vetta''s were horrible...I don't even know if they are still being made...if so - avoid them.

arsegas
02-26-2005, 10:03 PM
I recently purchased a Timex Bodylink Watch + GPS (http://www.timex.com/bodylink/), based on a friend's praise for the unit. The Bodylink comes with a GPS unit (which you can wear on your arm), a Heart Rate Monitor and a watch. The GPS unit & HRM and they transmit data about location, speed, HR, etc to the watch. There's also a Data Recorder component who can record detailed ride information to computer. The GPS has been very accurate for me and I've been very happy with my purchase.

I went with this system for the following reasons:
1) It came with all the functions I needed (No cadence, but I don't use that)
2) I didn't need to install anything on my bike.
3) I can use it for activities other than road biking, such as mountain biking or running.

Garmin also makes something similar, and they integrate the GPS and the user interface into a single unit; however, I found their device to be too bulky for me. My friend has a previous model of the Bodylink and the GPS unit is significantly larger, so the GPS technology is improving very rapidly. Can't wait for the day when the GPS and watch are a single unit.

- Eric

Chris-B
04-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Bump this thread. Its a few years old and I knew new products have come out since. I am looking for a cyclecomputer that can monitor heart rate in addition to the regular computer stuff, preferably wireless, and preferably not several hundred dollars. Any reccomendations? A preliminary search of some online stores leads me to believe that it may be more cost-effective to get a heart rate wristwatch and a bare-bones cyclecomputer seperate, but Im sure I'll miss out on some of the inherent benefits of having them be combined as one product. fwiw, I'm planning on using this as a training tool for college cycling team, so I don't need any pro level components. Thanks!

mcteague
04-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Got the Avocet 20 when it first came out; although that was about a year after it was first announced. I went through several Avocets after that and then a number of balky Sigmas. I now have a CatEye Strada Wireless and it is the best so far. Mounted on the stem it is out of the way but easily accessible. It's the only reliable wireless I have found but there may be others. It just plain works and takes up little space. What more do you need?

Tim McTeague

Johnny P
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
I have had a Cateye wireless on my bike for the last two years and it seems to work fine. I have gotten odd max speed readings occasionally, which I know are too high (57 mph), but that's the only problem.

JP

dogdriver
04-25-2009, 03:25 PM
+1 Catye Strada Wireless.

Stuck one on my wife's bike last year and like it so much that I may grab another for mine. Simple, easy to operate (only one menu to scroll thru), and the feature of no button to push (you push the bottom of the computer body to activate the functions, hold it down to reset the trip counters) makes it EASY with gloves or on bumpy roads. Also has a "distance 2" feature which is reset independent of the trip counter and is handy to keep track of weekly mileage or whatever without having to remember odometer readings.

I 'spose that the other end of the spectrum would be a Garmin 705 with Powertap hub and worldwide database.

$24.00 to $3000.00-- your taste will fall somewhere between those two numbers.

Cheers, Chris

Kevan
04-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Don't.

dogdriver
04-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't.

Probably the best idea of all.

fixednwinter
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I've been running without a computer ever since my Polar 720 was stolen along with my Colnago Master (argh!!) over a year ago, and it was refreshing to run without.

However, I wanted to pace myself at a recent event which was really difficult for me (Hell of the North in Toronto) so I picked up the inexpensive Cateye Cadence. One button on top, 8 functions, worked perfectly even when crossing through ice and deep mud. Glad to have had it on that ride.

Ken C
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I dont know why this computer is not recommended more often. It does not have a HR option, but it does have an altimeter, all the normal cycle computer functions, it is able to quickly switch between two wheel sizes, has a navigator function that allows you to measure distance seperatley from the distance function. This allows you to track mileage during the ride and reset without losing the total distance function. It also has a stop watch and seprate ride time function. Most comuters only measure one or the other. It also has a five year warranty. I have accidently washed it and dried it when it was in the pocket of a pair of shorts I was wearing after a ride. It is wireless and does not get interference unless you are using some lights right next to it. I have also dropped it while I was riding, I was reclicking it in the mount and did not set it in correctly and it went tumbling behind me on the road. I turned around and picked it back up and it still works perfectly.

I have had a cateye astrial (wired though) and there is no comparison.

Ken

kestrel
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Don't.

+1

Been riding 20 years without a computer. Still enjoying fitness, rides, companions, etc. Nice clean "dashboard" on the bikes too! I ride with a polar every month or so just to check HR. "Yep, still beating..." , and back in the closet it goes.
If you've just gotta know how far or fast you've gone there are plenty of mapping programs out there for after the fact research.