PDA

View Full Version : flat paint

Chad Engle
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Working on new custom mtb frame and fork. Is it possible to obtain a good flat finish? I'm thinking OD green. Ala M915.

Has anyone had any luck with flat finishes? Will they wear well?

Steve in SLO
11-24-2009, 02:29 AM
Get it flat powder-coated. It'll wear like iron.

Lurch
11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Speedvagen has the flat army green frame, and Cannondale had the flat BBQ Black color on the Rushes a couple years back. You can Google them if you'd like to see some examples. I've not had any issues with the paint on my Rush.

I'd second the thought to powdercoat, send it to Spectrum and enjoy it for many years.

John H.
11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
x1 on the powdercoat. I just had a bike powdercoated black with a flat clear coat.

92degrees
11-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Check IF's blog. They just posted a flat green paint job.

veggieburger
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Chad,

Cinelli has produced flat paint schemes in the past, but I believe theirs might have been a partially rubberized solution as opposed to just straight paint. While they looked really nice, there were some durability issues.

Specialized and Cannondale have also dabbled in flat black paint schemes. I never cared for flat black carbon, but Cannondale's mix of gloss lettering on top of matte is VERY nice, IMO.

false_Aest
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
anodize ah lah spookybikes.com

or

engine enamel in flat black.

w3rd

Doug Fattic
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
I've done some flat paint frames for other builders. The company House of Kolor makes an additive that turns their clear finish from glossy to flat. The degree of flatness depends on how much is added to the final clear. This finish can be applied over any color. High gloss final clears can highlight some frame imperfections so flattening the finish can make them less visible.