PDA

View Full Version : speedplay

bob the nailer
11-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I am a long term look pedal user, first regular and then keos. Am getting tired finally of the squeaking and wearing out, and now they are making these awful keo grip cleats which i hate. Am thinking about switching to speedplays. Anyone make that switch and care to comment, and to which speedplay they switched?

jbrainin
11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I've been using Speedplay X series pedals for the past 16 years and am totally satisfied with them. They are light, they are easy to engage/disengage (much easier than the Zeros) and they are built to last.

If coming from a more fixed pedal platform, you may wish to use the Zeros. They have less lateral motion (it's not really float) and will probably seem more similar to what you have used.

X series or Zeros (or Light Action), I suggest getting the stainless steel spindles. They have a slightly longer spindle and they will accommodate the new Vector power meter due to be released sometime early-ish next year.

rcnute
11-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I've enjoyed the X series and now use Frogs. I never cared for Look/Time/SPD.

Mike748
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
I use the X-2's (stainless steel) on my road bikes and Frogs (also SS) on my MTB and tandem. I love the float and ease of clip in / clip out, as do my knees.

toasttoast
11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
not exactly the same, but:

i just went from SPD-SL to bebop. it's great. the lateral movement is disorienting at first, but you learn quick. main perk for me is being able to wear mountain shoes for errands, school, even full shifts at work sometimes.

SoCalSteve
11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
But, if your a big guy or spend lots of time out of the saddle or sprinting, you may find the unlimited float and small platform not to your liking...

I switched from Speedplay a few years back to SPD-SL (Dura Ace version 7810) and it was the best thing I ever did!

Just sayin'

Steve

Louis
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
I am a long term look pedal user, first regular and then keos. Am getting tired finally of the squeaking and wearing out

Go back to old-style Delta cleat Looks and fix half of your problem :p

I have no experience with other pedal types, but I can't imagine anything other than a metal SPD cleat outlasting the Deltas.

(Candle wax seems to work most of the time on my Look squeeks.)

johnnymossville
11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Switched from Shimano to Speedplay Zeroes on one bike a few years ago and have no plans of switching back. 3 of my bikes now have them. I say give them a try. Get one of the models with adjustable float, can be adjusted to zero if you want.

Elefantino
11-24-2009, 01:21 AM
I have used X-2s for 9 years. Had Looks before that, and Sampsons waaaaaay before that.

I switched for knee reasons. My left is bad. Even with red look cleats, it was bad. Since Speedplay, no knee issues.

However, others like SCD with knee issues love DA pedals.

Try 'em all out. A good shop will let you.

jpw
11-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Since 1993.
A reverse design where the pedal becomes the cleat and the cleat becomes the pedal. The cleat is big; the weight of the pedal is not the end of the story.

William
11-24-2009, 05:00 AM
But, if your a big guy or spend lots of time out of the saddle or sprinting, you may find the unlimited float and small platform not to your liking...

Steve

Have to disagree here. As a bonafide, dyed in the wool big guy who likes to sprint balls to the wall elbow to elbow, I love the freedom/float of the Speedplay system. I've never had an issue pulling out in a sprint or hot spot issues.

Just sayin' :)

William

ss-jimbo
11-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Made the exact same switch you did for many of the same reasons. I didn't like the squeaks, the play between the cleat and pedal drove me crazy, etc. The Zeros are awesome. It takes a bit to get used to the engagement, partially due to cleat wear in. The Speedplays can also squeak like mad, but a touch of lubrication at the front, rear, and outside will quiet it down perfectly.

Lucky Jack
11-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Used Speedplay X series for most of the 90's. Then I went back to Look after they made one of their big new releases. Switched back to Speedplay after two months and have never looked back.

At 6'4" I'm a big long legged guy who has a habit of riding out of the saddle and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. PLUS....if you ride during the cold, I've found most neoprene booties fit better with the Speedplays - my opinion.

Birddog
11-24-2009, 08:03 AM
You might ask your riding mates, about 50% of them use Speedplays. In your case, I'd go for the Titanium model to save a tiny bit of weight. It just might get you closer to that elusive 8 hr goal. I've been riding the X series for about 15 years. I love the float and they never squeak. You will be investing $35 or $40 annually for new cleats however.

If I had it to do over, I'd look into BeBops, they are similar in concept but availability might be an issue.

Birddog

jlwdm
11-24-2009, 08:07 AM
I am a long term look pedal user, first regular and then keos. Am getting tired finally of the squeaking and wearing out, and now they are making these awful keo grip cleats which i hate. Am thinking about switching to speedplays. Anyone make that switch and care to comment, and to which speedplay they switched?

I have three sets of Keo Carbons and have not had problems with squeaking or wearing out. The Keo grip cleat is a more expensive alternative cleat - if you don't like them use the regular cleat.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM

I used Look, Campagnolo/Look, then Campagnolo profit. Needed a 2 sided pedal for a fixie and tried Speedplay Zero. Placed the cleat in the same relative position as the Campagnolo cleat and rode and gee...felt like a pedal. I have since adjusted the float to where I like it and switched to Zeros on my Waterford. Adjustable float, NO NOISE(yep, had the squeak on Look/Campagnolo/LOOK and Profit), very serviceable with small parts for all of the cleat and pedal PLUS if you fall and kill a pedal, you can buy one pedal(nifty).

The most adjustable cleat in terms of fore/aft and lateral adjustmant as well plus they make longer than standard spindles. I like 'em(can ya tell?).

Zeros are stainless steel or chrom-moly spindles. SS made in the US, CM made offshore. Same cleat and pedal guts. CM cheaper, works exactly the same. 'Light action' type, altho looks the same as Zeros, use a unique cleat that does not have float adjust.

victoryfactory
11-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I love Speedplay X-2 pedals
I've used them for many years
They have solved my knee issues.
I was reminded of how awesome they are when I slapped an old set of
SPD's on a MTB I was testing. Wow! I felt my old knee issues in 2 miles!
Swapped them for speedplays, problem solved.

The only negative on the X series is the cleats have no tolerance for
dirt or mud. You need to watch where you step*

VF

* good advice in general, probably...

rounder
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I have used the same pair of X-2s for over 10 years and love them. I have never had knee or other issues with the pedals. The cleats with the stainless steel clips last for years, which is why I never considered changing to the Zeros with their more fragile looking retention clip. I used times for years before that, and thought about switching back, but then thought why change something that you like and never have to think about. Because of their age though (sooner or later, everything breaks), I do plan to buy new pedals.

victoryfactory
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
BTW
I go through a pair of cleats every few thousand miles,
They start to feel less secure and you will see flattening
caused by wear on the "wires" that engage the pedals.
but so far have not worn out any X-2 pedals.

Also, they do not surprise/disengage when you are in them properly.

VF

csm
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I have the ti spindled unlimited float ones. no issues other than be careful where/what you walk in with the cleats; they fill up with mud and are a bear to clean out.

xeladragon
11-24-2009, 09:27 AM
i have the zero's, stainless steel spindle. i like the adjustability. i've only been using them for a few months now so take it for what it's worth, but they've been great so far, no problems, easy to engage/disengage, etc.

jasond
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I have the ti spindled unlimited float ones. no issues other than be careful where/what you walk in with the cleats; they fill up with mud and are a bear to clean out.

Three words, Coffee Shop Caps. They work great, especially on tile flooring which under normal situations you might end up on your rear. They allow you to walk very confidently and they stop dirt from clogging up the cleat. I just pop them into my jersey and go.

csm
11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Three words, Coffee Shop Caps. They work great, especially on tile flooring which under normal situations you might end up on your rear. They allow you to walk very confidently and they stop dirt from clogging up the cleat. I just pop them into my jersey and go.

yeah I always mean to get them and always forget.

johnnymossville
11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
all pedals should be two sided.

bironi
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I was an early convert to Speedplays. I rode the stainless x-series until a couple years ago when I converted all my bikes to the Frogs. They are less expensive, hold up longer, and I can walk safely in the shoes. I also did not like the fact that Speedplay stopped selling small parts for home repairs, the prices just kept going up. The x-series also require pretty constant maintenance, and are not the best for the dirty wet PNW. But, they were good enough for 15-20 years. :beer:

djg21
11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
BTW
I go through a pair of cleats every few thousand miles,
They start to feel less secure and you will see flattening
caused by wear on the "wires" that engage the pedals.
but so far have not worn out any X-2 pedals.

Also, they do not surprise/disengage when you are in them properly.

VF

I swithed many years ago to Zeros from the X-2s. The "wires" on the zeros are flat and do not wear as fast. They are just as easy to get into, and can be easier to exit depending on hw much float you allow (adjustable). Even with lots of keen issues, I only need a few degrees of float, and find my pedal stroke more efficient and powerful with less float.

thwart
11-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Three words, Coffee Shop Caps. They work great, especially on tile flooring which under normal situations you might end up on your rear. They allow you to walk very confidently and they stop dirt from clogging up the cleat. I just pop them into my jersey and go.But just try to clip in when they're still in place... :crap:

I've done this more than once or twice. But then again, I'm an idiot. :D

Wasted many years getting my endorphin fix as a runner, since every time I'd do a hilly bike ride my knees would ache. 'Twas gone completely as soon as I started using Speedplays. Now I call running cross training...

amgc36
11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
I switched from Speedplays to SPD-SL a few years ago. The foot burn was painful, perhaps because I wear a size 47/13? Perhaps if the contact point were a greater proportion of my foot, the Speedplay would have worked better.

McQueen
11-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Been using (the same) X-1's since the late 90's. Love them..

I bought them as a crit racer, and the benefit they have in cornering clearance. The float also was cool, as it seemed to put a lot less stress on my body.. They've held up well - maybe too well for Speedplay's benefit.

However, on a recent bike fitting the front-on video noted a distinct lateral movement in my knees (they didn't just pump up and down). Of the possible causes for this, the one that related to me was that I am a overpronater when I run, and the virtually unlimited float of the x-1's was probably resulting in some power loss and knee strain. I am now considering a switch to the Zeros, as I can control the float a little better. I guess a sole insert could help as well..

Elefantino
11-25-2009, 02:22 AM
I switched from Speedplays to SPD-SL a few years ago. The foot burn was painful, perhaps because I wear a size 47/13? Perhaps if the contact point were a greater proportion of my foot, the Speedplay would have worked better.
Same shoe size and no foot burn.

Might not have been a pedal issue, but a fit/position and/or shoe issue.

Pete Serotta
11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
I had used LOOK and while no problems, I decided to try Speedplay because of float. Have been using them since. ABout a year ago I started using the Zero pedals on one bike and also like them,

keep in mind that the cleats, pedals, and coffee caps are not interchangeable between X and Zero systems

RADaines
11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I am using Zeros and think they are great. Started with X-series but didn't want/need the full 22 degrees of float. The 15 degrees of float with the Zeros wide open is perfect. These are actually easier to get out of as you don't have to twist as far as on the X's, although I find the retention to be tighter on the Zeros than the X's. Plus they come in a great selection of colors! No plans to switch. Has anyone tried the Light Action pedals? How do this compare to X's or Zeros?

Bob

Elefantino
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I am using Zeros and think they are great. Started with X-series but didn't want/need the full 22 degrees of float. The 15 degrees of float with the Zeros wide open is perfect. These are actually easier to get out of as you don't have to twist as far as on the X's, although I find the retention to be tighter on the Zeros than the X's. Plus they come in a great selection of colors! No plans to switch. Has anyone tried the Light Action pedals? How do this compare to X's or Zeros?

Bob
Bought my wife Light Actions, which she sort of liked. As a lark, I had her try my X2s, and she thought the entry-exit was, in fact, easier than the LAs.

Charles M
11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
I switched to Speedplay and then back to Look. I like the more stable platform and the float is better now than any of the older PP days.

Look's new Keo Max are another upgrade... pedal body wear is minimal and squeek is as well and the cleats are a lot less than speedplay costs.

I have no problem with Speedplay and wouldnt fuss at all switching back, but I'm not going to unless there's some other development.

The new Max solve the couple of issues some people have (though issues I never had a problem with) and give you a more stable table

bob the nailer
11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
You might ask your riding mates, about 50% of them use Speedplays. In your case, I'd go for the Titanium model to save a tiny bit of weight. It just might get you closer to that elusive 8 hr goal. I've been riding the X series for about 15 years. I love the float and they never squeak. You will be investing $35 or $40 annually for new cleats however.

If I had it to do over, I'd look into BeBops, they are similar in concept but availability might be an issue.

Birddog
I am already spending more than that on look cleats. Which X do you use? do you use? And btw for those of you not keeping score or paying attention, 7'56" summer of 08.

Birddog
11-27-2009, 09:06 AM
7'56" summer of 08.
Ride time!

I use both the X1 (Titanium) and X2 (Stainless). If you haven't noticed, I'm definitely faster with the X1's, just kidding. The suggestion about Coffee Shop (Panera) covers is a good one, I always forget them though.

Birddog

bob the nailer
11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Ride time? Where were you? Let me take it one step further- against my better judgement I sprung for the 50% off DMT Mag force shoes at the LBS. I figured even if I only get two seasons out of them before the soles split, worth it. The speedplay web site says speedplays are not compatible with mag soles, but then says call them for further info, it being a holiday I have not done that yet. Anyone used speedplays with mag soles? I know the shoes come with shorter screws, which work with look pedals, why not with speedplays? And before anyone suggests it, yes I will call them.

Birddog
11-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Where were you?
With Andy, waiting for you IIRC.
against my better judgement
What is it you do for a living?

Birddog

bob the nailer
11-27-2009, 02:36 PM
With Andy, waiting for you IIRC.

What is it you do for a living?

Birddog
I meant where were you this morning. I misinterpreted your statement ride time, thinking you meant it was time to ride. 8h total ride time very tough to do, at 7'56" actual riding time, probably 30-40 min of off bike time. Tough to shave that much. Gotta do downhill faster, cause I think I was going uphill about as fast as I can that particular day. Still, if I could just shave a few more grams......you know, carry my water in a camelback instead of on the bike, less effective weight that way.

Birddog
11-27-2009, 03:06 PM
carry my water in a camelback instead of on the bike, less effective weight that way.
Oh Nooooooooooo,here we go again!

Birddog

rounder
11-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Cost aside, what happens when you go from X-2 to Zeros. Are you better locked in. Can you walk around better. If you are in a sprint, can you accelerate better. Just wondering. Thinking of changing. Thanks.

mgm777
11-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Cost aside, what happens when you go from X-2 to Zeros. Are you better locked in. Can you walk around better. If you are in a sprint, can you accelerate better. Just wondering. Thinking of changing. Thanks.

Rounder - I switched from X2 to Zeros. After years on the X2s, I felt I need less float. For me, after several hours in the saddle, my right leg, when I was fatigued, would flare outward. I wanted a pedal that would feel more locked-in. Additionally, I still wanted a two-sided pedal, adjustability, etc. I have been riding zeros for the past 5 years and love them. I have them adjusted for very little float. I haven't experienced any problems clipping in or out. Never had an unintentional release either. As for walking around in your bike shoes with the zero cleat...no different than the Xs for that, but I typically don't walk around in my bike shoes.

1centaur
11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Agree with mgm777 almost entirely. I went from X1s to Zeros because I sensed that just because my foot WOULD rotate a ways did not mean it MUST rotate a ways to keep my knees healthy. I could definitely feel that my foot's rotating was reducing the efficiency of the stroke because my muscles were not as aligned as they should be. I also felt one leg was naturally more aligned than the other so it did not benefit from having the free float that let it get out of alignment if I was not paying attention. I liked the idea of setting float leg by leg rather than person by person - a more intellectually coherent approach. So now my zeros are set with very little float and my knees are totally happy (and I'm happy that if I have knee issues I can turn a screw rather than change pedals). I like Speedplay's float feel vs. what I experienced on Looks, which felt like I had to push through mud to get the float, and I liked the positive metallic click-in sound of Speedplay, though I preferred the sound of X-1s, to the plastic-sounding click of Look or Time pedals.

When I first got back into cycling and researched products, the two overwhelmingly positive review percentages I saw were Thomson posts and Speedplay pedals. Both products have served me well ever since. I recently read that Competitive Cyclist sells Speedplays almost exclusively. The wisdom of crowds. I actually see a lot more Look and Time love on forums than I do elsewhere.

jbrainin
11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I've tried Zeros two years ago but found them almost impossible to engage so continued with the X/1's. Maybe I'll give the Nanograms a test to see if I react any differently now.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2009, 07:14 AM
I've tried Zeros two years ago but found them almost impossible to engage so continued with the X/1's. Maybe I'll give the Nanograms a test to see if I react any differently now.

Since the Zeros use a flat spring instead of a round spring, the cleat must be installed flat, flat. If it isn't with Zeros, they are hard to get into and out of.

RADaines
11-29-2009, 07:43 AM

I had this same problem when I switched from X2's to the Zeros (using a trainer in doors in try them out). In frustration I put the X2's back on. A couple of months later, I was determined to use the Zeros. Once I took the bike out on the road, I adapted very quickly. There is an initial adjustment period but in reality, these pedals are very easy to get in and out of. I would not hesitate to recommend them.