PDA

View Full Version : DT Taiwan??

mad_mark
02-22-2005, 07:18 AM
"Alex has become a favoured partner of the prominent Swiss parts firm DT Swiss. According to Marco G. Zingg , Director of DT Swiss, they chose to work together with Alex Global Technology because of the two companies' shared ideals and the latter's technology and R&D skills. DT Swiss plans to let Alex design and produce its rims."

DT Swiss, Made in Taiwan kind of defeats the name doesn't it?

I know there is spoke manufacture here in the US, but that's a DT Swiss owned facility, not a partnership.

Mark.

zap
02-22-2005, 09:19 AM
As I understand it, DT Hugi Onyx hubs are made in Taiwan as are OEM versions supplied to Nimble, etc. I believe DT Hugi 240s hubs are still built in Switzerland.

saab2000
02-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Sort of like American Classic not being made in the US either......

Too Tall
02-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Tomato Tahmahtoe...it works.

pjm
02-24-2005, 07:52 AM
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20035#

dgauthier
02-24-2005, 02:10 PM
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20035#

Don't get me started. I just got the Performance catalog in the mail, and noticed the prices on these and other DT Swiss wheels.

Just what, may I ask, makes these wheels worth a thousand bucks? And what makes the DT Swiss 240 wheelset worth $700, when the component parts alone are well under $600 at retail? I see these wheels are all sold out at Performance, so I guess I'm the only one asking these questions.

Expensive wheels with Taiwanese parts. Who is so dumb they'll spend $700 - $1000 for $200 - $300 wheelsets?

zap
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Just what, may I ask, makes these wheels worth a thousand bucks? And what makes the DT Swiss 240 wheelset worth $700, when the component parts alone are well under $600 at retail?

There not. Just like DA wheels.

Makes Zipps and Reynolds quite cost effective in comparison.

You can get Hugi 240s hubs w/Open Pro rims built up from CC for around $500. Or you can get a wheelset with made in US CK hubs for roughly the same price.

dgauthier
02-24-2005, 04:17 PM
You can get Hugi 240s hubs w/Open Pro rims built up from CC for around $500.

Right. With DT rims coming from Taiwan, I have a hard time discerning any difference between RR's and Open Pro's (which, I guess, already come from Taiwan).

Now, if you could get the DT Swiss 240 wheels for $500, you'd have something. It would be less money than it takes to buy the parts separately, with construction performed and backed up by DT, no less. But if DT 240 wheels are selling out at $700, that's not gonna happen soon.

We often lament about the state of the bicycle industry on this forum. When people are unquestioningly buying products that, upon examination, are so easily proven to be overpriced, it's easy to see why so much of the industry is long on branding and marketing and short on usefulness and value. It would seem there's no shortage of fools seeking a money-ectomy. I'm gonna have fun this weekend dusting all the DT riders on my $169 Ultegra/Open Pro's! :D