PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear century

sjbraun
11-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Yesterday, I rode El Tour de Tucson, a 109 mile route around the perimeter of Tucson. El Tour, as we locals call it is an annual event that draws upwards of 9,000 riders on routes ranging from 35 to 109 miles. Usually, we ride the 67 mile event. It has all the fun (ie challenging) parts of the 109 mile route and none of the pain.

But this year, me and the Thursday night, beer drinking, riding boys decided we'd do El Tour fixed. The five soon became two, (something about beer fueled promises...)
K and I debated gear choices, (there are a few challenging hills, one short beast and a 6 mile downhill.) We settled on a 75 gear inches, 42x15.
Our "training" consisted of our normal riding, (mostly commuting,) a series of long rides on the Saturdays, and Thursday night beer consumption.Our longest fixed gear ride had been 85 miles two weeks prior to the event.

Yesterday was beautiful, 49 degrees at the start, 75 at the finish with clear skies and moderate winds. We faced a bit of a headwind in the first flattish 20 miles, but after that we had tailwinds for the climbs and headwinds for the downhills.

El Tour is unique in that it involves two river crossings, actually the crossings are hike-a-bikes through dry washes. The first one is a quarter mile, the second is closer to a half mile. Including the walking, our riding time was 6:38, averaging 16.5 mph. Our overall time, including stops (which in addition to bathroom breaks and munchies included 15 minutes of attention we gave to a fallen rider at mile 8,) was 7:43. We could have finished faster, but K started cramping with 30 miles to go. We stopped several times in the last 10 miles to ease protesting muscles.

With our ride to the start, to post ride refreshments, and the ride home, I ended up with 118 miles for the day; my biggest mileage day ever.

I must say, that riding that distance fixed was not really a big deal. I can't imagine it would have been much easier on my geared bike, though I would most likely have finished sooner. Of course, the downhill sections would have been easier. We chilled on the two particularly steep downhills, keeping our max speed to 36mph. (A few weeks ago, we exceeded 38mph on one of them. Let me say once and for all, 173 rpm is not a pretty sight.)

All in all, a great day and a great ride. After the first 20 miles, my legs felt great. I was strong on all the climbs. (I rather enjoyed passing guys riding lightweight, geared, wonderbikes on my lugged steel, front racked, commuter fixie.)

I can't tell you how much it meant to me to ride so well yesterday. A year ago, I'd just finished six rounds of chemotherapy for CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia.) I rode the 35 mile event just to make a statement, (the statement being F^#k you, cancer!) But to come so far in a year is profoundly satisfying.

Now my only concern is what crazy ride do me and the Thursday night crew attempt next?

Steve-who saw a few nice Serottas along the way
Tucson

dogdriver
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Sweet. You're a stud doing that on a fixie, esp. considering the recovery postscript.

Lived in tucson in the late '80's and did the ETdT 3 times. It remains one of my favorite rides...

Good on you, Chris

OtayBW
11-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I can't tell you how much it meant to me to ride so well yesterday. A year ago, I'd just finished six rounds of chemotherapy for CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia.) I rode the 35 mile event just to make a statement, (the statement being F^#k you, cancer!) But to come so far in a year is profoundly satisfying.
Wow - Congratulations on this ^ especially, and also for your El Tour. I rode it in ~1992 and had a BLAST. I found myself swept up in a paceline with 60+ riders hanging on for dear life. Definately a first for me. Just a great time.

sam.g
11-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Steve,

I also rode in this years "Tour de Tucson" for Juvenile Diabetes Research and noticed about a half dozen fixies or single speeds, what color was your frame? I chatted with several of the fixie riders, I was riding a geared Serotta Hors Cat and wearing the JDRF jersey.

The scenery, course, local spectators and rider support were first class. I finished at 7:20 overall due to frequent rest stops, however my average mph on the bike was still 17.3 mph, I just didn't have the legs after climbing Mt. Lemmon the day before.

After flying in from Ohio we just couldn't visit Tucson and not climb Mt. Lemmon, an absolutely incredible experience. The fuana changes from Mexico to Canada in about 6,000' over 25 miles, I was told that it ranks as one of the 10 best climbs in North America.

Congratulations on your fixed ride record and especially on beating Luekemia! I'm sure that you noticed the large turnout of Team in Training riders supporting the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society.

Sam in Cincy

Stewball
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Steve, absolutely a kick azz job. Cancer's been doing a number on my family lately, have to wear the LiveStrong helmet at least. Congratulations to you; these stories inspire.

That I saw there were only six Serotta there besides mine but, ya know, the rest were too far ahead for me to see! Started off the back, (the absolute back) came in at 05:57.53. Spoke with one guy riding a loaned Mievici from Carmichael Training, what luck!

The ride was great; if you ever have the chance to do El Tour at least once you have to take it. This is my fifth shot & there will be more. Got to ride almost all the way through the second crossing, ole mountain bikers die hard. Really can't tell you how much fun it is with all the people from the area out there and support from all over. The police block traffic for bicycles!

Hope to see you next year,
A.J.

zray67
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I must say, that riding that distance fixed was not really a big deal. I can't imagine it would have been much easier on my geared bike, though I would most likely have finished sooner. Of course, the downhill sections would have been easier. We chilled on the two particularly steep downhills, keeping our max speed to 36mph. (A few weeks ago, we exceeded 38mph on one of them. Let me say once and for all, 173 rpm is not a pretty sight.)

All in all, a great day and a great ride. After the first 20 miles, my legs felt great. I was strong on all the climbs. (I rather enjoyed passing guys riding lightweight, geared, wonderbikes on my lugged steel, front racked, commuter fixie.)

Steve,
May you have many, many more annual rides.

Ray
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Great job Steve. That's gotta be an incredible feeling after what you've been through. I haven't been riding long distances (I do a couple of metrics each year these days, instead of a couple of centuries) or fixed gear lately. But you might have inspired me. I grew up in Tucson but didn't ride much then except the usual kid riding - one of these years I'm gonna come out and ride El Tour and it would be a shame to do it for the short version. And definitely have to climb Mt. Lemmon while I'm at it.

Congratulations again!

-Ray