PDA

View Full Version : Fitting to a smaller frame

TC Johnson
11-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Greetings!

I have been on the prowl for a steel frame, and a question comes to mind about frame sizing. My usual frameset size runs about 55 - 56cm with comparable length top tubes. Since this is a very common size, pickings have been limited. I know better than to go too much larger, but could I get away with a 53-54cm top tube and make the adjustment in the seatpost setback or stem length? Most if not all of my stems have run 110mm.

There is an interesting Serotta Club Racer on a local craigslist that has a 53cm TT that could be a candidate.

Thanks for the responses.

TC

joelh
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I did that exact thing. I ride a 56 and I acquired a late 80's colorado in a 53. I wan never able to get quite right on the bike. I put on a 130 stem and still just felt out of wack. I sold the frame on this forum and bought a 56 CRT and immediately felt better.

There is an older 56 Nova X on ebay now that is still priced pretty attractively, btw.

jlwdm
11-21-2009, 03:10 PM
You don't want to adjust your saddle setback to get the right reach. You need to get the saddle in the correct position relative to the pedals period. The seatpost angle will affect the top tube length. If you get your saddle in the right position relative to the pedals/bottom bracket a 74 degree seat tube angle will mean a larger setback post than a 73 degree which will effectively make the top tube longer.

Also with the smaller frame make sure you can get the bars high enough relative to the saddle. Look at head tube length.

Sounds like your are creating some problems with the smaller frame.

Jeff

Tobias
11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
There is an interesting Serotta Club Racer on a local craigslist that has a 53cm TT that could be a candidate.

Thanks for the responses.

TC
That one is 2 to 3 CM shorter than your usual which is a lot. Assuming that the seat tube angle is steeper due to the smaller size, the actual difference in equivalent TT length will be closer to 1 or 2 CM, but that's still a lot. Having to use a 12 or 13 CM stem on such a small bike wouldn't be for me. I'd wait for a bike closer to my size.

BTW, you didn't state what seat tube angle either bike has, or how high you normally have the bars. As mentioned above a smaller frame may make it difficult to get the bars high enough without using an odd stem.

Peter P.
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
You've already figured out a 55-56cm top tube fits you. Don't go mucking about trying to squeeze into a smaller frame and trying to make it fit.

Be patient in your hunt for a steel frame. I scan eBay every week just to dream about what I might own. Every month or so, something comes up which would make my dreams come true. So be patient; your time will come.

TC Johnson
11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. Waiting for the right size frame seems the right path. There will always be something to buy.

TC